On the subject of BFRs, Caves, and other PS1 features

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by SArais, May 11, 2014.

1. SArais

Everyone is saying they're overpowered. Granted, prehaps in planetside 1 if they had hands on them and been on both sides of the thing, But do you have your hands on them in planetside 2? No. So why are you lot complaining about something you've never seen be in action? Hell, they could of easilly looked over both and figured out the problems.

Another notation. Caves. Alot of people hated them, a lot of people loved them and what they brought to the table, The point standing, they could of been revised, fixed, or what have you. Don't knock them until you've actually played with them.
  2. jp5a9852

On the subject of BFRs, many people don't want them because they ruined PS1, and while this kinda makes sense I don't think people are realizing that SOE is doing a pretty good job on vehicle balance. The only vehicle that I would say is OP is the lib. I think the lib should be ANTI-GROUND VEHICLE not anti everything. There is too many supporters for the lib for it to be nerfed to hard though, so whatever. Back to the BFRs, just because a walker was in PS1 and was OP doesn't mean it will happen again. If enough people speak out it would get nerfed. We've seen it before and we'll see it again. I'm guessing they never balanced it after release in PS1 or something. I actually really want a walker in PS2 but IMO the BFRs look to bulky and impractical.

I saw in another thread a while back that if they add BFRs that they should be heavy anti air units, or anti lib units. That makes sense to me because libs can kill a tank extremely fast with 2 people, a little too fast, despite the fact I think it should be and anti ground vehicle weapon. A BFR could be the lib of the ground, except not an all rounder like the lib. The BFR shouldn't do much to vehicles and should be able to defend itself against a small amount of infantry. Lets say this new iteration of the BFR is a 3 seater, a full BFR should be able to defeat a full lib in a 1v1 by a modest portion.

On caves, they would be cool, I mean, why not? As long as you don't force them to much. Look at the ascent on Amerish, you can cap the base without ever stepping foot in the caves. Seems like a good idea.
  3. SArais

Yeah.

IMO, BFR's should be impractically slow battle/siege platforms that take a pissantly long time to get anywhere, but if they do, they are incredible powerhouses. Also they should be incredbly loud, Prehaps a limit of 2-3 per faction on a continent could balance it a bit, and should take a lot of people to man
    • Up x 3
  4. doombro

We don't need vehicles in the game that have no specific role to perform. That's really all it comes down to.
    • Up x 5
  5. PurpleOtter

I have an intrinsic hatred for the BFR's given what they did to game play in PS1. Yes, it's irrational, but I don't care!

That said, the easiest way to put them in the current game would be to give them the identical stats to the current Empire specific tanks. Essentially a cosmetic upgrade with a different form of locomotion.

A variation could be slightly better climbing attributes due to being bipedal. The second option would be identical stats with the ability to only equip vehicle secondary weapons on two hardpoints.
  6. Azerin

I'm with doombro on this, trying to shove a new vehicle into a game without a defined role just makes things confusing and problematic, and as things stand every position is filled quite nicely already.

Perhaps in the future when new elements are introduced it might find a place on the battlefield, but until such a time it would be out of place and imo not worth the effort.
    • Up x 1
  7. SArais

Hmm, yes.

Until we can find a purpose for it, we can say no.

Okay, Caves.
    • Up x 1
  8. Takoita

On the subject of PS1 features, six-shot AI grenade launcher. You know you want it.
    • Up x 1
  9. Goretzu

Air is much, much stronger in PS2, as are infantry AV and indeed vehicle AV.

I think even the orginal BFRs (before then nerfed them to pretty much PS2 MBT levels) would struggle to survive long in PS2 - I suspect that "mega-tank" will have the same issues if it ever actually gets into the game.

Caves should work though, so long as they don't follow Core Combats hideous 70's Discoball meets 80's new age crystal therapy vibe.
  10. DxAdder

We will never see BFR's, the first versions (pre-nerfs) destroyed PS1.

It was like watching War of the Worlds and it wasn't like there was a few of them the came in packs like 6+ attacking at one time and they were nearly unstoppable before some balancing and SOE took far too long to do that.

Caves were "ok" ? but I think there are just too many other things they could work on that would make the game better.
  11. Jogido

The problem with caves was that it was only available to people who bought the expansion, Core Combat. This was a classic example of a big design problem to map pack DLC which is Community split. To top it off that phenomenon is much worst in an MMO FPS because there were outfits. if a few guys didn't have access, usually that meant that nobody went to the caves (except to get mods)

That said, I think PS2 actually can do "caves" successfully but at the moment, I don't think we need new maps with Hossin in the works.
  12. Skooma Lord

It would be cool to have something like the B.F.R.'s during an alert but it is computer controlled and they travel to lets say the center of the map and all three factions met up with there B.F.R.'s and had to help them fight each other.
    Then again that would be hard to balance because one faction can just go out of its way and try to kill the other B.F.R. and it would be unfair to the underpopulated faction.
  13. Tentakewls

I have no problems with BFR, I just don't see the point of adding them when we already have one vehicle ( lightning ) which doesn't have much of a role other than AA.
  14. Regpuppy

Simply put, I see a lot of possible overlap with tanks. Until a lot of other features and vehicles are fleshed out, I don't see the point in working on vehicles with roles that overlap existing ones.
  15. Hibiki54

BFRs have no place in PS2 since they ruined PS1. I quit PS1 solely because of BFRs.

In PS1, a single BFR can cream a single squad armor column (3-4 MBTs plus support) due to their combined fire power, armor and maneuverability. Sure, they can be taken out by 1 single soldier armed with EMPs and a couple Decimators, but not at first contact since most people do not carry 2 Decis and EMP to specifically take out BFRs.

In PS2, a BFR would have three results -- It would dominate small engagements and be used to spawn camp; it would be spammed by every faction and zerged everywhere, resulting in no fun as no one wants to engage them; or they would be glass cannons that are immediately focused on and eliminated by mass AV turret or LA C4 faeries.

No matter how you look at it, the BFR is not coming.
    • Up x 1
  16. Donaldson Jones

As stated above I too quit PS1 solely because of BFRs. So I am very against their reintroduction.

As for Caves..this could be done but they have to have a strategic value. There are so many outposts already I have difficulty thinking of a reason I should bring a platoon down there. Maintaining control of them, while up top a zerg is just capping every base they hit seems counterproductive.

If they introduce caves I'd like to see a serious reduction in the number of bases, and by serious I mean at least halved. Caves could then be used as a means to project the lattice to just outside a large base, that would give the caves some strategic value not just an aside to gameplay.
  17. WorldOfForms

If you are going to propose adding BFRs to PS2, you have to propose how they would be balanced.

First, do you understand how the tall profile of a mech is impractical in large-scale combat like PS2?

Second, how would you solve that problem? PS1 used regenerating shields, and it made BFRs not fun to fight against.

Large, slow units are inherently flawed in big open battles like PS2. How would you solve that flaw?

It took the PS1 devs a year to balance BFRs due to this flaw. You really think it's worth it to do something like that in PS2, just for one single new unit?
  18. BobSanders123

The Terran Republic Power Ranger Megazoid.
  19. STR1D3R109

Instead of everyone having a BFR, Id love to see an event where there is a base in the middle of the map that houses one, and if you cap it in the event, your outfit(the one who does the most fighting there) gets to control it.
    Then have it like 5 seater (1 driver, 2 big guns, 3 or more rumbles) ;P
  20. Regpuppy

So, going from a possible replacement of the MBT (bad) to being something only a minority of the population could "enjoy" a minority of the time?(waste of assets/resources) I say minority of the time, because if that things short of invulnerable it's going to be nuked to oblivion as soon as the event is over. :p

"[orders] NC BFR at Zurvan
    -5 minutes later-
    [orders] BFR ded"