Out pop'd and outgunned [Waterson TR] bored for second weekend, looking for alternative to PS2.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TotalNoob, May 10, 2014.

1. TotalNoob

Loved the game since PS1 launch (I'm that old), played PS2 solid since beta but now it's all falling apart. SOE have given up, moved most of dev team to other games. Seems like they squeezed every last penny out the community and then left it broken and full of bugs.

Most of my outfit have quit. TR has low pop and no resources. Last night I had enough for one max (20 inf per 4mins, zero fun). Tonight is the same, VS never fight NC. NC to scared to fight VS.

What else is everyone playing?
  2. HellasVagabond

Move to Miller/Esamir if you want the TR to be overpop...
  3. Bonom Denej

"Alternative" is, to me, a weird word to use in that situation since PS2 is quite a unique game.
    Are you looking for an other FPS ?

To answer your question, I play League of Legends and HearthStone for the moment, a little more casual and all my friends play it too. But I doubt that you're looking into that kind of alternative.
  4. Paragon Exile

lol, TR on Waterson complaining about being outpopped. Get rekt.

:3

Blacklight Retribution is an extremely good (and free!) arena FPS on Steam. It kicks ***, and importantly, it's not even remotely like PS2, so it'll feel much more novel.
  5. TotalNoob

I'd settle for underdog. Slightly oppressed but with half a chance. Instead it's lib zerg spawn camp farmville 24/7.

I'm out.
  6. NinjaTurtle

Even against a larger force you can turn their farm into a farm for yourself, just use your imagination.

Anyway being under pop is great. It is the main reason I joined VS on Waterson after I got fed up with the NC over pop
    • Up x 1
  7. doombro

As a fellow waterson TR, I'm in more or less the same situation. All the public squads at any given time are absolute garbage, and the bunch I usually play with haven't showed their faces online in weeks.

However, I prefer being underpopped. XP bonuses and no shortage of targets.
    • Up x 2
  8. Hatesphere

NC might not like to fight VS, but as a waterson VS main, I can assure you we like to try and attack the NC.
  9. eldarfalcongravtank

as a waterson VS i have mostly been fighting the smurfs for the last days. still sucks that ALL factions' numbers have taken such a huge hit though, especially the TR

still, i dont blame the players leaving. it's rather SOE who needs to wake up and realize that, under these circumstances, this game won't last longer than another two years
  10. doombro

Two years is very generous. I'd be relieved if it makes it another two months. It's already dead by a lot of people's standards.
  11. Beeman

Any of the ArmA games would be really great alternatives to Planetside 2. They've got similar mechanics and concepts like large-scale combined operations and so on. The only problem with ArmA is that it's not really user-friendly or intuitive...at all. Like, it could take you HOURS to get accustomed to the controls. Like, they're very great controls...it's just hard to figure everything out when you're a noob.

Red Orchestra 1 and 2 are really good and have similar gameplay concepts. There's some maps with infantry and tanks, though I don't think there's any maps with planes. I haven't played enough of that game, honestly...I should get back into it >.>

Other than that, I hear the Planetside 1 server's usually full throughout the day. Dies at night, though, like PS2 servers.

There's not many games that're comparable to Planetside 2 unless you're lookin' for just any decent FPS. In which case, Blacklight Retribution is pretty good and free-to-play. Then there's games like Battlefield, Call of Duty and what-not. Those two are disappointing in their extreme oversimplification of the FPS formula, but they're still solid shooters with good core mechanics. It'll just make you sad every second you play them because of the untold amounts of lost or wasted potential.

There's also games like Sniper Elite and its sequel that're pretty good, slow-paced and tactical shooters.

World of Tanks and War Thunder are really good tank and plane simulators, respectively. World of Warplanes is decent, but disappointing in every way compared to War Thunder. MechWarrior Online plays similarly to those games, but is set in the BattleTech universe. MWO has the problem PS2 is facing right now, though...they put out content far too infrequently and it upsets the userbase quite a bit.

You could always give RUSE or like...Men of War a try. I'd say start with Assault Squad then give 2 a try. I haven't tried the sequel yet but Assault Squad was really solid. RUSE is okay, but it can be frustrating if you're a noob.

Hmm...I don't know, there's a lot of good war games out there but not many of them have the spirit of Planetside. I mean, there's ArmA, that's the only franchise I can think of that basically does what Planetside tries to do but in a modern combat setting. Battlefield tried to do that, but have become far too simplified to truly enjoy.

So...play whatever suits your interests, I guess @.,@
  12. Nerp

Totalnoob strikes again.

TR wrecks on Waterson.
  13. NC_agent00kevin

Thats odd. Nearly every night I log in to Waterson and its the VS who have the lowest population .

Are you sure you're actually playing Planetside 2?