Reinforcements Limit for Isolated Bases

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Xenophontes, May 9, 2014.

1. Xenophontes

Hello fellow planetside players and SOE developers! I have a question to ask about bases which have been cut off from the main territory. Why is it that there is no maximum amount of reinforcements limit for bases that have been cut off from the rest of the front? The fact that go bolder in red, blue or purples should mean that they are surrounded and should not be able to receive any form of reinforcements flooding from the back line to assist the front.

Yet in an example i can give was when we (Terran Republic) assaulted a completely isolated Hvar tech plant on Connery server against the Vanu. The battle was literally going on for hours and we simple couldn't enter due to the fact that there was an endless stream of tanks spawning, infantry respawning and no matter how close we tried to get we were always being pushed back by magriders.

When one is surrounded with no form of reinforcements being able to reach them to bail them out there needs to be a set number (depending on the size of the base) that can respawn in said base before they have exhausted the final remaining forces and are forced to escape out of there, surrender (which you cant and probably wouldn't do anyway in a video game) or fight till the last man until you are all wiped out. Now I know what some are thinking, the galaxy exists in the game so we can always drop more people in so this is not gonna work as an idea. Id like to share with you one of my favorite examples of why resupply by air is not enough to save isolated people from their inevitable end.

The example Id like to give from world war 2 is the battle of Stalingrad where the German 6th army was surrounded by the Red Army in operation Uranus. while they were encircled they believed they could be saved and awaited a rescue detachment to bail them out of their tight spot. That rescue detachment was stopped and even pushed back.
    As they began to lose more territory and the circle around them became smaller the few air resupplies were not enough to save them from their position. With no option left the German forces surrendered and the Red Army won the battle of Stalingrad.

Now that the history lesson is behind us I really feel that if your base is isolated from the rest of your territory you should have a fixed amount of respawns available at your base before you run out of men. Tech plants, amp stations and biolabs can have the most, the towers can have a medium amount and the outposts just a handful of soldiers.

I would really hope this is something that can be talked with the balance team at SOE. Thank you for your time!

TLDR: Add Reinforcement limit to bases that are isolated and surrounded so they cant just defend that 1 point forever when they are trapped and cut off.
    • Up x 5
  2. Xenophontes

I would love to hear the thoughts of other players on ways to improve my idea or any feedback in general from players or SOE
  3. Tommyp2006

this is something that the resource revamp on the roadmap is supposed to help. When you cut off territory, bases will be more limited on how many resources are available there, and players will eventually run out of resources when seiged, unless they can bring resources to "refill" the base from the outside.

Personally, I would like to see bases VERY slowly flip to neutral when cut off from the warpgate.
    • Up x 6
  4. Whatupwidat

Seconded - maybe my faction wouldn't lose quite so much ground if 50% of the players weren't in a cut off biolab meatgrinder.
    • Up x 5
  5. DQCraze

1) RL does not play out well in game because you don't respawn in RL, along with many other factors.

2) What do you do with entire sections of a continent that get cut off? Wouldn't people pay more attention to resource flow then to other fun parts of the game?

3) There is a tactic called stick and move. Basically, if they want to farm, leave enough forces there to hold them and just take as much territory as you can from them till they get uncomfortable enough to move out.

Going into a mega slugfest with a zerg in a confined area is poor battlefield strategy, it's usually a huge time sync and a waste of manpower IMO.
  6. iccle

I would like to go further and prevent any teleportation redeployment from another base into the base that is cut off from the moment it is cut off (with the exception of spawn beacon). 'Extra' player reinforcements should have to travel to the fight to encourage more air/vehicle combat to be more about keeping the areas outside and between bases secure.
    • Up x 5
  7. Xenophontes

I will answer your questions now.

1. Most things in real life would ruin video games yes, for example i don't expect planetside to have 1 shot kill bullets with energy shields and power armor, but when one is surrounded and is not connected to the warp gate in anyway one should not be able to keep a base entirely w/o end.

2. If entire sections get cut off then efforts from the warp gate to the cut off sections should be made to re secure the line. This is where people who have put certs into being commanders would redirect solders to secure the very important supply line.

3. The tactic while possible to achieve would require a faction wide level of coordination. The fact that many people are lone wolves or multiple small outfits with very few large ones means that communication between groups to have "outfit A" hold positions and encircle the enemy "outfits B and C" cap western territories "lone wolves" capture the east.

4. While I agree going into a slugfest with a zerg is just a huge time sync a surrounded army is a surrounded army and in any other case the surrounded army who cant be freed from their encirclement is destined to lose.

Thank you for your feedback and I would love to hear from more.
  8. KnightCole

I wish each base and sundy had a max limit of spawns it could have. Idk what the ANT thing did in PS1, but that needs to be in PS2. In addition to the SCU.
  9. Xenophontes

Apologies for the typing errors im making...i catch them after i hit post and the edit button doesn't seem to work
  10. Professor Floyd

I Agree. I don't know if a reinforcement cap is the best way to address this but an encircled army is an encircled army, they should not be able to hold out indefinitely witch thy are currently able to do. An encircled army would find it progressively more difficult to hold out without adequate relief until holding there position would become impossible. I think a similar system would add depth to Planitside.
  11. FateJH

ANTs just filled up NTU Silo for large bases. While that did mean eventually you theoretically could consume it in Infantry spawns and resupplies, you would have an exhaustive sieging process to get to that point with just those things. The fastest things that drained NTU were the spawn tubes being destroyed, followed by spawning vehicles, and slowly auto-fixing base turrets and such broken base hardware.

One of the expansions also introduced the ability to manually drain NTU Silos, with BFRs if I recall. (You won't be able to test this functionality in PS1 now because Core Combat is disabled.)

As far as I am aware, PS1 AMSes actually provide unlimited spawning and resupplying with no required nanite logistics after initial vehicle creation.
    • Up x 1
  12. Xenophontes

Feedback from SOE would be appreciated along with more player feedback
  13. iccle

The ant was an unarmed power truck, you collected energy from warpgates and took it to bases to refuel them, energy was consumed when a base auto repaired turrets and equipment/vehicle terminals etc, if a base ran out of power it reverted to neutral and could be hacked by anyone providing they powered it up before the hack timer elapsed (15 minutes).
  14. MangoPunch

Cut-off bases should simply be removed from the reinforcements tab completely.
  15. GhostAvatar

It almost sounds like you don't want a fight to take a base. May I suggest that ghost capping is more to your style, than ruining fights for those people who actually want to enjoy the game.
  16. Zar

The ANT in PS1 was more or less a fuel truck bases had a finite about of power for tank spawns aircraft spawns and troop spawns.
    everytime one of the spawned the pool got less full ants could be brought in to refuel that energy. they also lowered cause the bases "VERY ******* SLOWLY" auto repaired turrets. so while it was be amazing and add depth it would not stop what you want it to it would make it fun to save it and add some team work play and if they were dumb and fat and just sat in say a biolab and didn't come and out to replenish the fuel supply would at some point run out and be pushed out. it was also used as an ant bomb at full fuel it would exploded about 5X of a sunder explosion in game currently if killed no big red lol ***** button.
  17. \m/SLAYER\m/

you want to ruin fights? unlinked territory = no resources to empire. if players having fun there, it's good.
  18. Ronin Oni

The upcomming (and delayed AGAIN!!!) Resource Revamp whould help with this...

While there won't be a limit to respawns, they WILL run out of power, meaning they'll have no more MAXes, Vehicles, C4, med stims, grenades, or anything with a resource cost available to them which should limit their capacity to defend the base, particularly against something like a MAX crash to which they'd have lost almost all counters but for RPG's
  19. Phyr

The problem with this, is it requires some coordination and tactical thinking. The majority of players do neither, so the game needs to gently nudge players in that direction. Having a disconnected base flip on it's on would be one way to do this without directly yelling at them "HEY! ****! Go to another base!".
  20. Professor Floyd

We were not talking about ruining fights or making it so we don't have to fight to capture territory. We are suggesting that a way to change the course of or prevent those muti-hour meat grinder stalemates could and perhaps should be achieved through encirclement.