CPU help

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TranquilityDose, May 2, 2014.

1. TranquilityDose

Hello there ,,,
    I have these current sys specs :
    CPU : I5 3570 K @ 3.5GHz
    Cooler : Corsair H80
    GPU : Sapphire R9 290 tri x OC
    PSU : SeaSonic 850 W Gold plus
    MOBO : MSI H61 m - P20 :(
    Now the problem is , The VC bottle-nicks with cpu (obviously) cuz of the MOBO ,
    i am now debating over either buying a Gygabyte g1 sniper 3 or sell my old i5 cpu , buy an i7 4770k and buy a mid-class MOBO , these both solutions cost about the same here and i know that i would get about the smae performance if i OCed the i5 using the g1 sniper ,
    any advice would be appreciated .
    Thanks
  2. TranquilityDose

I originally had Asus P8P67 DELUXE but it broke cuz of some electricity problems .
  3. DDShadow

no chance of sending it back manufacturer? think it may have coverage
  4. TranquilityDose

No mate i sent it back but it was refused :( .
  5. TheAppl3

So option 1) is buy a Z77 board (which you can get for $125) and overclock.

Option 2) is spend $300 on an i5 with HyperThreading that will accomplish barely anything and then buy a new board on top of that?

Just get a Z77 board. It baffles me that you have an overclockable chip with an H80 but an H61 board. You don't need water cooling to overclock quite a bit in the first place, but to run at stock...?
  6. TranquilityDose

I donno mate , i always loved that g1 sniper 3 (z77) and it is my first choice , but i thought that planetside needs more hyper threads
    to run cool during heavy battles , as my i5 doesn't have enough ( 4 cores and 4 hyper ), and it is more future-proof to get a 4th gen processor , this is what has been bothering me and why i came here to ask about this .
  7. TheAppl3

That makes no sense. Hyper threads make it run cooler? Do you have any idea what HyperThreading is and does? It allows simultaneous multitasking by splitting a physical core into two logical cores which share the workload as evenly as possible. It does nothing at all to minimize heat buildup.

Your i5 doesn't have "4 hyper" because that means nothing. It has four cores, each of which has one logical core/thread running at a time.

The difference between 3rd and 4th gen i3/i5/i7 chips is not remotely worth the cost of upgrading.
  8. Utrooperx

I will "assume' you have un-parked all the cores?

Here is a utility to do that (if you haven't already): http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

If this is your motherboard: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/H61MP20_G3.html , then you should be able to use the onboard OC feature to improve performance...

OC Genie II

[IMG]
    Just press the OC Genie button or enable OC Genie II function in BIOS menu, the CPU performance (P67 series) or the 3D performance of iGPU (H67 series) will be highly improved. Whether users want to watch a high bit-rate HD movie or go online gaming, both can be enjoyed with image performance that is smoother and lag-free!
    [IMG]

Features
    - Exclusive OC Genie detect hardware configuration
    - Intelligently auto set clock/voltage of CPU and memory or iGPU
    - Increase overall system performance in 1 second

You might want to go here to make sure your BIOS is the latest version: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/H61MP20_G3.html#/?div=BIOS

Here is another freeware utility to check all your drivers: http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php

And of course, give Gamebooster a try: http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Some of this is might help...Good Luck!
  9. BrianJ2

i7 4770K has absolutely no point over an i5 4670K if you just going to play games.

I got an i5 4670K and have a current GPU bottleneck, but im still on 70+ FPS. I'm using Intel Turbo Boost(3,5Ghz on all 4 cores) and i'm not yet overclocking.

Your Ivy Bridge i5-3570K is just fine tho, there's no big difference between Haswell and Ivy Bridge in performance, it's mostly power usage. I'm actually concerned about temperatures. Your FPS should be totally fine, unless your CPU is throttling itself.

Step one to try is: Go to Power Options in Windows 7/8(assuming you have 1 of those.) and press High Performance. What this does is that it will make sure no CPU cores will be parked, nor being slowed down to save power usage(They will always run at 3.4ghz that way).

Let me know what you find out by following these steps

Happy to help,
    BrianJ2

P.S. CPU "unpark" utilities are utterly useless, because you can disable core parking in Windows itself, by changing the power options.
  10. TranquilityDose

LOL , you got me all wrong mate , what i meant was faster , sorry about the misunderstanding , and the i5 does indeed have 4 threads , you can check for that from intel site , thanks anyways .
  11. Irathi

Hey

If you aint using that old i5, instead of throwing it in the garbage would you be willing to send it to me? Il pay for postage!
  12. TranquilityDose

I am not gonna throw it i can make a good deal and get an i7 for selling it :)
  13. TranquilityDose

Well , it is set at high performance in both windows and BIOS , the temps are near 60 at load since i am only using 1 fan at medium speed , so i don't think it throttles , the only thing left , in my opinion , is that the MOBO can't supply the CPU with enough power .
  14. TranquilityDose

Well , the thing is , i used that utility but nth changed , i also tried OCing by enabling oc gene and disabling turbo boost but it just didn't work, i can't even find the voltage control option XD , maybe because i am new to overclocking CPUs , I honestly think that the problem is that the board can't supply the CPU with enough power with that 4 pin power adapter.
  15. TranquilityDose

PS : The FPS i am getting is not good at all , i get below 20 FPS during an intensive bio-lab battle .
  16. Utrooperx

Hmm...on my board, I just selected OC Genie Function Control by BIOS options (there were two options, on board or BIOS) in the CLICKBIOS II utility, then clicked "Enable" besides OC Genie then "Apply"...the machine requested a restart, did that...and a splash screen popped up that said OC GENIE ENABLED and then it went into the normal Windows start up.

When you open the CLICKBIOS II software, on the left side of the window that opens, click the second one down that says OC to see the area I just described...it was really easy...just two changes then "Apply" then restart...boom...I went from 3.8ghz to 4.2ghz (which is really just the "turbo-mode"...but every little bit helps!)

While you are in that same window, its a good idea to confirm the DRAM frequency setting is actually set to your RAM's speed and that Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) is enabled...a little faster FSB is a Good Thing...

If you think there is a voltage issue, open the MSI Control Center, select "Record", select all the ones that say "V" and the CPU usage, click "Apply", minimize the application, open PS2 and run around for a few minutes, then ALT+TAB out and re-open the CC window to check if you had any serious voltage drop when you had a load on the CPU.

Usually, if there's a issue on one of the rails, then your computer just won't POST...but this should help determine if your PSU is able to handle the power demands under load. I'm running a less powerful PSU then yours...and it keeps two R9 270X GPU's going, plus five case fans, 2 fans on my CPU heat sink, some pretty blue LED's, etc...yeah...those 270X's get a might warm X-fired...lol!

There's a few more complex things you can do...if you download CPUID, it will show you the recommended timings on your RAM (look under XMP on the SPD tab) as well as what they actually are (look under the Memory tab)...go back in the CLICKBIOS II application, under the "OC" tab...by selecting "LINK" besides DRAM Timing Mode, then Advanced DRAM Configuration, you can set them to a more "optimized" setting...(caution here...only change the settings CPUID identifies...leave the rest alone!) Of course you will then press "Apply" and restart the machine.

Hope this helps :)
  17. TranquilityDose

Well , your MB is for AMD , mine is intel , there is a big difference , the problem is my board is that i can't even overclock ! , the option "adjust cpu frequency" is grayed out and i can't change anything even after i enabled oc gene and the screen u mentioned appeared after restarting , i didn't really expect anything out of this MB when i bough it (50$) it is temporary until i upgrade to sth else , and i don't really think that the PSU has anything with voltage dropping , i guess it is the MB at fault here :)
  18. TheAppl3

I know that and said that. I said it doesn't have "4 hyper" because that means nothing.

HyperThreading also will not help PS2 at all. The game does not distribute its tasks even remotely close to evenly. It relies on brute performance of individual cores, not extra cores or threads.

If you're getting under 20fps you have an actual problem, not insufficient hardware. Either your processor or gpu is overheating or you have software issues.
  19. TranquilityDose

The cpu's max temp is around 60 , the VC as well , i am using a win 7 64 newly installed , the only thing that comes to mind is that the Mobo fails to deliver enough energy to the CPU , what made me think that is that when i use the iGPU the pc would instantly freeze