Planetside 2 will never have a competitive scene

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by pintle, May 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pintle

So, as apparently creating 192 log ins for Jaeger is too much work for SOE, Server Smash is forced to run on PTS instead. This alone should point out the joke that is SOE's support for psuedo-competitive PS2.

They are perfectly happy to milk the PR of featuring Server Smash on FNO, but they are actively undermining the event with the actual server. On the day of an SS match SOE has updated the PTS with a 500mb bug filled patch.

Highlights include:
    • Breaking the Amerish map (where our match takes place)
    • Locking players to primary weapons (no med tool, no engi tool)
    • Being unable to move after switching out of a MAX
    • A host of issues based on the new shotgun.
    SOE not caring enough to give access to Jaeger is one thing, but freaking using us for PR in FNO but breaking PTS on match day is completely ridiculous.
    • Up x 13
  2. ExitSign (Ceres)

Clearly a sign of missing proper communication channels between responsible SOE / PS2 teams.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ribero

Interesting.

The timing of said patch is unfortunate indeed, but I don't think that potential content/fixes/whatever is in these PTS patches should be delayed just because of the Community Competitive Scene. That being said, were they able to have matches on Jaeger as suggested, this wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

What say you, RadarX?
  4. RyanGUK

The problem isn't that they're using the PTS for its purpose (to test), it's that they haven't granted access to Jaeger, that's all.
    • Up x 1
  5. Owen W.

I think the idea of having Server Smash on the test server is great: at least SOME people play there.
  6. pintle

That's not the problem. The problem is that SOE use us for their PR, using SS on FNO for marketing their game, but then completely undermine the actual event. Insulting and unacceptable.
    • Up x 1
  7. MrMurdok

No, the problem is that instead of recognizing something community is doing much better than SOE itself, which is creating and supporting pseudo competitions between outfits and servers to promote Planetside 2, in a much more professional and polished way than the BS MLG matches SOE did, they force the players to compete on the PTS, which is, of course there for testing.

The PTS matches led players having more login time than play time on the Ceres Vs Cobalt match, and denying their ability to knife on the Ceres Vs Miller match.

As a squad leader who has put countless hours of perp, plan and action on the two matches Ceres already had and on the upcoming (now cancelled?) Ceres Vs Waterson match, I'm pretty pissed.
  8. kadney

To be honest, I wouldn't mind. Battlefield doesn't have a good one either. After all, this is a MMOFPS.
    The only way to get something like this will be the nexus battleislands we saw a few months ago.

Oh, and personally I doubt they would set up an entire server just to have some outfit-wars going on there. Just wait for the battle islands to arrive, I think we will see them after the release of hossin.

More or less false in my opinion. They don't. They simply try to support you with spreading the word and giving you some platform with FNO / community clash streams, like they do for outfits with the outfit spotlight. Like I wrote above, they wouldn't set up an entire server or priorise the PTS for your fights. But they still appreciate what these guys do, else they wouldn't give it such publicity. They will support you guys with finishing the battleislands , that are made entirely for that purpose if I am correct, once they finished them.
  9. ElCreepo

So, who was in charge of this server smash, what communication did they have with SOE concerning Jaeger, and what reasons were given by SOE for not granting access to Jaeger for the event?

I mean, surely they didn't just say "creating 192 logins is too much work."
  10. pintle

Server already exstss, they just need to get an intern to email people a list of log ins.

The issue is not support of the competitive community. The issue is MARKETING THE GAME AS IF THEY DO SUPPORT THE COMMUNITY, AND THEN UNDERMINING IT. This is completely unacceptable.
    • Up x 2
  11. Danvers

Don't forget Connery vs Cobalt. We had no access to engineer turrets and everyone spent ages trapped at 96% in the loading screens
  12. fuzzbuket

see i like PTS. it works, i play there weekly. jager would be a mess IMO

but for **** sake, SOE should at least have either delayed the deployment of the patch till monday (weapons wouldnt have been tested by pickup anyway as they dont use shotties) especially since they used SS for content last week.

The match now has been offically delayed and will be at a new time on either next friday or saturday, its a massive inconvenicnce, and really should not have happened. Comclash and SS get almost equal viewership numbers, so why on earth is SS ignored and neglected: especially when pickup helps with a lot of base design and balance.

However Do not worry, the match is rescheduled but still will take place, and all the reps and organizers are trying there best to make the event enjoyable for all involved: even if SOE is ******* us up the **** :/

Cheers

-fuzz
    • Up x 1
  13. fuzzbuket

they should prioritise the PTS. who tests there? par the handful of BuGs Guys, and pickup, and outfit scrims no-one plays there, and par the previous mentions no-one tests properly.

So for a event which Draws in a very large viewership, and costs SOE nothing a big more acsess to a EMPTY MAP on a EMPTY server would be nice no?
  14. allelujah

Hey I'm lujah, the Head EU Admin.

Want to start off by saying, thank you to all the community that have been getting behind PS2.PickUp ServerSmash and helping us make it into what is it.
    You will normally find me posting on Reddit, but I'm currently at the helm, while Dot0z is away on leave.

The call to postpone the match was a horrid one to make, but we believe it is the correct one. This is the first event we have had to stop. This situation is always a fear we have every week. We have come close from time to time with certain bugs but nothing on this scale.
    We have been looking into the list of bugs, testing them and talking about the current stat of the server and gameplay is hindered far to much to go ahead with the match.

The testing is a byproduct ServerSmash, but we activity try and test with the public games.
    We use the PTS as we do not have access to Jaeger, but we also test everything we can on PTS as we are trying to help live servers as much as possible.
    We test and log feedback / bug reports with our public pick up games. We have devs join us from time to time to play and we have been lucky to give direct feedback to them on a range of issues, bugs, features and requests.

Matches are organized by the participating servers' Reps. This match is Fuzzbuket and MasterChief with assistance from the head admin team if they had any worries and needed help.

The short answer is creating the logins is to much work.
    We can run events of up to 480 players with support and casting, which would require us to have access to around 500 player accounts including the 3 - 4 Jaeger observer camera accounts that are required to cover a full continent. - Which is a big ask for something SOE do not directly support.
  15. Klypto

I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to participating today.
    • Up x 1
  16. NoctD

I personally don't see much attraction in these events - part of the attraction of an MMO is the persistent worlds, and these sort of competitive events are meaningless in the larger scheme of things, because, they lack - persistence. I tried playing some BF4 during the All Access downtime, but the lack of a persistent world and a character I've created, played and known made it feel truly empty.

There's plenty of competition on live servers - you develop friendships, rivalries, etc. Even if I were to participate in these events to say play against those from other servers, it would be more meaningful if we could use our real in game characters for it. Not some character where you got 100k free certs on.

And then you have all these "rules" that get made about these sort of events. Aside from cheating, aimbots and such, it should be as open as the real game is.

Anyways - just my 2 cents.
    • Up x 1
  17. Pikachu

Is PTS not jaeger? :confused: I have witnessed server smash on PTS.
  18. pintle

Jaeger is a closed server, basically only used for Community Clash. Us Server Smash peasants are forced to play on PTS, it ruins matches, as evidenced today, and in every match Ceres has participated in. It is one of the primary factors in why Ceres interest in participation is so low.
  19. Danvers

Cobalt here, we sympathize with you our last two matches have had random trolls that negatively affected our battle plans and possibly changed the outcome of the events. I would love to be able to do this on Jeager
  20. pintle

The only reason given for it not being on Jaeger is "too much work". How much did the MLG advertising/marketing campaign cost SOE? What fraction of that cost would need to be allocated to one employee organising accounts in the space of an hour to make Jaeger workable?

Would love some SOE input on this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.