New player

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nickio123, May 2, 2014.

1. Nickio123

So, ive recently just started playing PS2, care to give me some tips or hint you could give me.

Thanks, Nick
  2. whiteshadow2000

Might help if you say what your faction is and on what server.
  3. ViXeN

• Up x 1
  4. Nickio123

my faction is the Terran Republic and im on the Ceres server
    • Up x 1
  5. IamDH

New player, lets milk all the money out of him before he leaves!

Seriously though, situational awareness is what you will need as a new player. The scale of this game is a little overwhelming and it might seem that everything is out to get you (Top Gun coming out of freaking nowhere rocketpodding you ect) but once you get used to the general flow of the game you will learn how to counter these things. Top level players have absolutely no advantage over you other than experience

Use the minimap, dont throw yourself at the zerg, try medic at the start (to get used to it) then Heavy Assault till you get decent then play whatever class you like. My preference is Light Assault because jetpacks are so fun and i can utilize my knowledge against team Smurf to catch them off guard
    • Up x 3
  6. Paski

Try this freshly posted guide by Vixen for good pointers and for even more in depth/specific info try the Post of useful links by ChipMHazzard
  7. Macinzon

Prepare to die A LOT.

Also, watch Wrel's videos, this one in particular:
    • Up x 3
  8. Vixxing

Gun for other ppl in tanks and planes if you can, that way you get to use good equipment for free...(and learn from experienced players)
    Playing as medic/engineer is good way to earn certs...
    Try flying etc. in VR also use trial weapons as much as you can...
    Sniping and buying the 100 cert sniper with 12x scope might be a good investment if you like sniping...
  9. KenDelta

10. Utrooperx

1.) Join a good outfit...play as a team
    2.) Play support classes such as Medic/Engineer to cert up/get better gear
    3.) Learn the base's layouts...the "cheese" spots, the bottle-necks, the quickest way to go from here to there and arrive alive
    4.) Cert into AP/AT mines...always mine the Cap point with AP mines (free kills!), then toss AT mines in obvious places...Enemy tankers just LOVE to roar through the ground level of towers...give them a present!
    5.) Use the VR to learn how to handle a tank and fly Galaxies/Libs/ESF's...nobody will shoot at you there and the vehicles don't cost resources if you crash & burn
    6.) Search You-tube for tutorials on different classes
    7.) Have fun!
  11. John_Aitc

You started off really well, Nick. You chose the correct faction!

Vixen's video recommendations are both good and will bring you to You Tube channels worth following. ItzMurdaTV is my Planetside 2 Infiltrator Guru, to add one more.

As far as I am concerned, this thread should be pinned to the top of this forum. I keep it bookmarked and look at it from time to time.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/things-you-didnt-know.165548/
    • Up x 3
  12. ViXeN

Well, joining TR was your first mistake. The best advice anyone will give you is this..... Leave TR and join VS. :D
    • Up x 3
  13. Huxer

Read vixens column. Awareness is what I feel is the most useful skill in any FPS despite what some twitch players will tell you. If you can't shoot theres an internet trainer for that to practice on, aim something.
    • Up x 1
  14. DeathTollDavid

I suggest you wait to spend any of your certs. Figure out what kind of player you really are before certing into anything. Are you support, long range, mid range, aggressive, vehicle only, etc? You need to figure that out.

Play with EVERYTHING in virtual training because once you spend your certs on it, it's done.
  15. IamDH

:D
  16. NinjaTurtle

Best thing for a new player is to find a good outfit that can show them the ropes. Having a reliable squad to run with will make the experience easier too
  17. Krayus_Korianis

Welcome to Thunderdome. It's going to be a bumpy ride!
  18. Jur270

No please dont pick ceres tr you will get instakilled by everytohing
  19. Bushmaster

Playing on Ceres for the TR.

Get into a squad with any vocal activity from the leader - if the squad is almost silent - leave it.
    You have to be a part of it too - engage in voice contact with the squad. There's no fun in dying a lot - alone.
    Use the map and spawn on the squad.
    If you're waiting for cooldown on spawning in the squad - even just for 2-3 minutes, don't wait - spawn instant action to be usefull in another place for those few minutes. Throw ammo or repair somewhere usefull and then spawn on the squad.
    Some weapons can make you rethink the role of the class you're playing - other weapons don't do much difference at all.
    Engineers going for the AMR is almost like medium sniping (with the right scope on.)Learn the weapon before you buy it for good. Test in VR training or get the free test period.
    Squads is the key and communication
  20. Cinnamon

Reroll on miller.