Accuracy as a stat for Auto Scouts

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Republisher, May 1, 2014.

1. Republisher

Just looking for general opinion here.

I know that it's more meaningless than not, but just as a personal marker...

How important do you think Accuracy is as a personal stat for automatic weapons?

20% seems average(ish) in PS2
    25%-30% seems good
    30%+ seems great

But...

What does that really reflect? Should I be more concerned at my ratio of Head-shot kills to Body kills over something like general Accuracy? Seems that with guns like the Artemis/SOAS/Stalker you could increase your accuracy easily to 30+ if you only tried to kill targets that you were almost guaranteed going to down, and never spray and pray at targets beyond medium range hoping to down them (basically just lowering your KPM for a trade off in Accuracy). I'm just using that as an example, because it seems to reflect what I notice in game so far.

I rolled a new Inf for Matterson, and I just wanted to try to play more "accuratly" than I have on previous chars (aka, give a **** about what is going on).

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428197983272790705/weapons I know my kill count is only 176 so far, however I have used it on other characters so it's not like I just bought it... but a pool of about 100 IMO is going to pretty much reflect any future results, I don't really think that it will be any different at 1,000 or 1,000,000, I'm as good as I'm going to get at this point. I know that there are a wide variety of situations in PS2 that can environmentally just make the SOAS better or worse regardless of player skill, but not withstanding those.

Just as a consensus does it really matter and should accuracy it be used as a personal bench mark with automatic weapons, or is it just a stat to used to boast 'inaccurately' about your personal performance (because it is a stat that can be manipulated simply by altering play style).

Thanks.
  2. NCstandsforNukaCola

This topic is not only about auto scouts, but about every weapon i guess
    I do think accuracy is an important factor to determine how good a player is.
    But it does not reflect playstyle which varies for each person.
    Accuracy can be even padded by shooting unmanned vehicle or terminals which is dumb.

and I think latency gives lots of thing to accuracy.
    For example, on Connery which is my main server, My accuracy of SAW is around 20%
    But on my country server, It was almost 30%
    So I care about it some, but not totally.

In short, yes, It is important but not so much because it does not consider playstyles
  3. AnuErebus

Accuracy means very little when looked at alone. While it can help determine if the person is a skilled shooter, like any stat it has ways of being inflated. Killing people as efficiently as possible should always be your primary goal with weapons in planetside. High accuracy helps, but sacrificing killing potential for the sake of accuracy does not. You should only be truly concerned about your accuracy if there's a problem with it under normal game play conditions.

The same can be said for any stat really. KDR, KPM, Accuracy, Headshot ratio, they're all useful metrics, but they should never be looked at alone. Stats will never tell the whole truth. It's true that on average better players will have better stats, but there's still plenty of good players with average stats and average players with good stats.
  4. Republisher

Another play session of this (brief these days for me :( ), but I'm starting to see a pattern.

I got my KPM up and my KD ratio up, but accuracy went down a bit (also finding myself spending too much time in VR trying on cool clothes). It seems that I'm having to choose accuracy or higher KPM. With an SMG you are point blank most of the time and a lot of the bullets will hit for a kill (so that nice 30% is easier to maintain), but for the auto scouts there seems to be a lot of those ranges where you are just going to have to choose between lighting somebody up for a high chance on the kill or accuracy and just not firing the gun... at past that medium range even the SOAS has some crazy bloom. I'm sure I can become a little more accurate, but sometimes I'm just irritated at the SOAS and just find myself asking "where in the **** are those bullets going?" :p

Probably should just concentrate on shooting people.
  5. reydelchicken

Don't worry much about accuracy...

For example, with my artemis I have 39% accuracy but I still preform better than with the SOAS-20 which I have 45% accuracy.
    The reason behind this, is because when I used the SOAS I had framerate drops, so I only could take shots at things I was sure I was going to hit. This is not always a good thing though, because sometimes a player can shoot you from a strange position or surprise you and you won't be able to carefully aim.

Accuracy also depends on whether you shoot at the body or at the head. If you both carefully aim and only shoot at the body, then somewhere around 50% accuracy isn't too hard. However you're going to severely hurt your killing potential, so this is a very bad idea.
  6. Republisher

Yeah, I can agree with that, I run shadow play in the background and I only get about 20-25 or so FPS when its on because my comp is old and at that rate you get to see enemies just do 180s with no animation and other wonderful things, I'm sure if I turned it off or just upgraded that would be totally different. I'll have to try a session with out it running in the background.

I might also try a different scope, I have been using the 4x and that might be giving me a false sense of the guns actual range/effectiveness abilities, and causing me to just blow shots all over the place. I also wander around a lot and type too much, probably would help to kill both of those things.
  7. Mustarde

It also depends on attachments, and what you are using them for.

I run a compensator/forward grip on my SOAS-20, and tend to burst fire. I float around 30% accuracy and 24% headshot rate. According to stats.dasanfall.com, that's somewhere in the high-average range. But my KPH with the weapon, at 54, is on the higher end, close to the top 5%

Accuracy and stats matter somewhat, but you need to focus on winning engagements. For me, that was learning how to burst fire better, improving aim so I can hit the head more often, and making better use of cover. If you are winning fights and staying alive longer, your stats will start reflecting that.
  8. Republisher

I watched 1 of your SOAS vids and I see you use the NSNV scope exclusively (Not on Esimir obviously, but other locations seems to be your favorite). I have also noticed that a lot of players that have 30+ accuracy use this scope... do you think that is just coincidence or do you think the scope just making bright white targets is too much of a boon to ignore (even after its nerfs).
  9. RockPlanetSide2

1) cherry pick your engagements, this is easy to do if you are playing with a good platoon as well, as they won't ever be in a farmed situation and you can run around like in lots of the videos you have seen. Making videos all the time that are montage worthy require this, don't be fooled otherwise, if you are on the winning side you can make yourself look good most of the time.

2) top 5% = play the game or any other shooter at around 35+ hours a week and you will get better than your current stats, which are already pretty good... I would not feel bad about not having top 5% stats as you need to live in the game to do that. Lots of people will make up stories about how they "don't", but they are playing 35+ hours a week, PS2 or otherwise. If you played eye of the tiger and did a Rocky 3 or 4 training montage where you lived in game for 10 weeks of brutal playing, you could top 5% with the stats you have now.

Those are conditions 1 and 2, if you don't meet those, don't even try to compete with the "live ins", it is very rare that somebody has that much innate gaming ability that they don't need to devote themselves to the game.
  10. Jawarisin

Proof of that accuracy or I won't believe it. :3

It's all a matter of choice, I myself hover at 33+, but I'm using the 1X scope because that's what I'm used to, and that's what I feel more natural with.

2) False. It is true you need to have spent a bunch of time playing video games, but playing a few hours a week over a long period does it too. It's also about the attitude, and how you approach the game. (I'm tottaly for the eye of the tiger!)

Personnaly, I think anything below 30% is terrible, OR you are shooting at long range with a weapon not suited for it. Nothing against it, the God Saw knows that well. So it depends on the weapon for that.

Accuracy is an extremely good stat, but like someone else said above, if you look at it alone, it doesn't mean much. Kills per Hour is, in my opinion, a more important factor. But you can find them yourself.

Also don't be fooled, sometime peoples just go afk. Someone in an air outfit might have the WORST stats with certain weapons because he's afk waiting for the air ressources. Or simply someone who alt-tabs because he has something else to do.

K/D is also a good reflection. It won't get biaised by the afk. But then again, it might get impacted by the class you're playing.

You need to look at ALL the stats, and then you can start drawing a conclusion.

You should care about increasing your overall stats. Not by "cheating", but legitly, as it will show you your improvement.

GL
  11. RockPlanetSide2

40%+ is legendary for an automatic weapon, you are talking about the best of the best of the best with honors here for legit players with this.

30%-39% is a good run of the mill number for people who "protect their accuracy" stat (see below).

20-29% is a good number for people who shoot at what they "might be able to kill", and are not concerned about the stat.

Less than 20, you are just shooting too much for no reason, or you are just helping out ENGs with ammo certs (lot's of people do this for their buddies, so again accuracy in PS2 really means jack unless you are obsessed with it).

30-39% is good, but it you means you NEVER shoot at anything that would hurt your accuracy. You don't have to be a pro gamer to use logic to conclude this either, as I said the guns have bloom that no player can control, you can clearly see it in game, so if somebody with 30-35% accuracy was trying to kill people at long range or serve only their interest in maintaining their accuracy stat, they would not have 30% accuracy. Can't really get any simpler with logic there.

Don't buy into comments like "the Auto Scout is not suited for that range!"...there are plenty of times where you could easily kill somebody just by shooting 24 rounds, but you would only get 20% accuracy out of the kill... 30%ers won't attempt that kill... ever... they can't... logically... or they would not have 30% accuracy. (you could apply this to any weapon).

There are also so many ways to boost accuracy in PS2 even if it means just cherry picking situations where your platoon is farming another group during an alert or otherwise all the time or just shoot enemy consoles... you can increase your accuracy 1% a day by doing that (you could before, I don't know if they fixed that our not).

KPM...

There are also plenty of ways to protect a KPM, mainly just don't have that weapon in your hand unless there are tons of guys to shoot at... this s a QUITE common tactic.

As soon as you find yourself in an engagement where you can clearly see your your KPM won't reflect the top guys, guess what... you redeploy or switch guns // classes... just like they do... or again... logically... you wont maintain that KPM.

There are plenty of players in PS2 where if you watched them play every day you would just say "man this guy is average at best!", but then they have montages or footage where they are just making 99.9% of all other players look bad, in the end some people just care, some people don't.

Regardless of what anybody wants to claim, the best piece of advise is get into a top tier platoon and don't join pick up pubs... you WILL see an overall increase right off the bat, because your engagements will always be the best ones, for the most part.
  12. Stromberg

higher accuracy should normally result in a higher KPM, unless ofc you're padding for accuracy. you want to kill ppl faster before they duck into cover, you want to win 2vs1s, you want to shoot 2-3 ppl with one mag/30 bullets. you don't want to carefully judge every bullet only to have a better accuracy stat. that's nonense.
  13. Jawarisin

Just as a little informative thingy, if you kill anybody with a 24 shot weapons, all body shots at 125 dmg, it's exactly 30% accuracy.
  14. Fellhermit

For any mid-long range weapon, excluding semi-autos/bolt actions, it's normal to have lower accuracy than with closer range weapons - even though they're more accurate statistically. When shooting at medium or long ranges your targets are smaller on the screen, recoil and CoF are going to put more shots off target, and cover comes into play much more. And if you go for moving targets at decent ranges, having to compensate for bullet travel also comes into play.

So accuracy is a stat you really shouldn't worry about unless you're getting something abysmal like 15%. If you want to look good on dasanfall you can pad it by passing on targets you might be able to kill but with a lot of missed shots, or just limiting yourself to close range combat w/SMGs and shotguns. But this isn't a serious competitive game because of how easy you can pad everything in PS2, so most people aren't going to be impressed.
  15. RockPlanetSide2

That would be true if you were playing on a LAN and could 100% judge exactly when somebody died and not have to fire off extra shots... or you just never do that and you just cherry pick your kills and cherry pick your engagements and you can get to 30%+ really easily, and then you can get some false pride out of it I guess and mention it a lot to people.

OP >
    That is why there are very few Auto Scout montages that are not somebody shooting enemies that are just coming at them again and again, you don't see them at the same caliber as SMG montages of just random running around... aka... cherry pick your engagements and don't just use the scout all the time any time you go AFK equip the 99SV or something, only use it when it will work the best in the situation, that is how you can get to great player levels of 35%+ accuracy and a better KPM.

Not really sure how to prove this other than find the best guy on your sever and watch him, because that is what he does, consciously or subconsciously. You can read all this crap all day or you can just do that.
  16. Republisher

I have been following this guy after I watched some of his videos. His stats with the Stalker Auto Scout make me want to cry.

Briggs char 1.68 KPM and 37% accuracy... that is top 1% in the world.
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428010618041267217/weapons

Connery char 2.28 KPM and 36% accuracy... that is top 1% in the world.
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428153774134091441/weapons

How does that even happen? Super gaming pills or something? Even when I have people just running directly at me though a small canyon and I am just shooting them in the head with no heed, I can't get stats like that per hour.

I hate being old and slow. :p
  17. Mustarde

I meant to respond to this earlier but hadn't gotten around to it...

There are some players who legitimately have great accuracy stats, using the weapons as intended. Ways to have great accuracy:

1. Excellent inherent aim (duh)
    2. Engage at close to medium ranges (selective engagements)
    3. Bodyshots > headshots
    4. No ammo wasting
    5. Burst fire (even important with the ASR's)
    6. Attachments!!! (Comp/Grip for those who ADS, which is generally what you should be doing with ASR's).

It's not a particularly revolutionary list. Yet these are the things that players with very high accuracy do. Personally my accuracy falls in the mid-upper range on stats.dasanfall, and I'm fine with that. But your comments that players are simply gaming their accuracy and KPH are not entirely true. Sure, some might, but the good players I know who have excellent stats are out there farming it up in the thick of battle. Also, the scout rifles are so controllable, you really can have great accuracy numbers with them

Furthermore, players who used the ASR's before they were patched over a year ago may have even higher accuracy because the weapons were even MORE accuracte, at the expense of having worse hipfire, less rounds per mag.
  18. repairtool6

Some important infil-specific reasons to mustards list
    They boost your accuracy even more.
    8) Darts/Motionspotter -
    You basically never get suprised. You are prepared always.
    Low amount of panic-fire

9) Cloak and pre-aim:
    Wast wast majority of engagements you are totally safe up until you decloak and open fire on someone unaware of you.
    you can aim and adjust while cloaked much like when sniping

Honestly, imo below 40% accuracy for autoscout is just:
    A) simply just bad
    or
    B) " I don't really care" / "I do well enough around 30/35 - shrugh"

Just my opinion
  19. Jawarisin

stats pls, I want to see 40%+ ideally above 50% since 40% is "simply just bad"