NC AI Harasser Help!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 666IsBehindYou, Apr 22, 2014.

1. KoS-1

Not sure if this person realizes how profound that statement is. Live it, learn it when playing a harasser. Doesn't matter the setup, the most success one will have is adopting that type of mentality.
    • Up x 2
  2. Kriegson

But how can I glitch myself into the geometry and constantly recap points in a harasser!? D:
  3. KoS-1

When you find out, please let us know. :)
  4. oberchingus

Excellent post Cracka!
  5. 666IsBehindYou

DAMN GUYS! This is great! I didn't expect this many responses! Thank you, this all has been really helpful!
    Any more suggestions on AI setups would be appreciated! Cheers guys!
  6. Mrasap

Seeing as you guys have a lot of experience as an AI harasser, what do you think of the proximity radar?
  7. KoS-1

Honestly, I don't know anyone who use PR on a harasser. Some people like to sit and "snipe" with harasser, but generally speaking one should always be on the move. Kinda like a infiltrator, take a few shots and kills, move and repeat. Basically, other options in that slot are better and will give a greater benefit overall.

Really, from my experiences, having PR would have been useful maybe 2 or 3% percent of time. Otherwise, a very low number. Once in a while someone will get the drop, maybe 25 or 30% of those end in instant death. Usually there is a chance to survive and do. Or survive longer than otherwise.

There are two set of eyes in a harasser. When not engaged, the gunner should be looking around while the driver is focused at the task at hand, driving and/or acquiring targets. Then when the gunner is engaged, the driver should be scanning the surroundings. Basically, the two working together to maximize their situational awareness.

Not to say, PR couldn't be useful, it's situational. For example, running a semi-full platoon full of harassers. Well, I guess, it couldn't hurt to have one in the group. Especially if people like to sit still for longer periods close to the enemy. Just like having AA harasser in a group like that.

Larger the group, the better able to have specialties. Otherwise, smaller groups, better off going jack of all trades.

I really haven't noticed it used alot on any vehicle types. After it was moved to the slot it is in now, not many people chose to run it over the other options.Again there are exceptions, like what I pointed out above.
    • Up x 2
  8. dstock

We use it on our runs from time to time. My buddy has his well certed on all three factions. We call it the "pizza" setup. You know, delivery driver, slinging pies all over town? How are you going to find those hungry customers? Prox Radar. (The name is derived from the hilarious dish that certing this line puts on your rear bumper; it's scaled the same as the MBT version, lol.)

So, the setup is usually smoke/prox/(chassis of choice), with a Thermal Bulldog w/ Extended Magazine. It works decently with the Fury (pure AI spam), or the Kobalt (focused AI, can deter against ESF), as well.

Smoke helps a lot, this is definitely a shoot&scoot loadout. Since we can't take stealth, we show up on the map as soon as we start firing, and we also lose the lock-on timer bonus. Smoke helps with lock-ons, who I find are becoming more and more annoying, as a Harasser player. Also, a well-certed smoke dispenser can be used purely for visual obfuscation; my preferred use for it is to drop it at a corner then change direction to throw off the hounds.

Having that extra awareness helps the Bulldog be more effective at AI. I love the Bulldog, for some reason, but the Prox Radar helps it really shine, by giving you a better heads up. I should also add, the Bulldog seems to be one of the weakest pairings with stealth, because the long refire delay means you keep pinging back on the map each time you fire. Food for though.

While we run this solo (meaning one Harasser) to farm certain types of fights (OMG, Amp station...), as KoS-1 says, it serves best as a scout or out-rider in a larger group. If I had it certed, I'd consider using it on a Ranger Harasser when soloing, since I obviously have to park to fire.

My point is, ProxRadar definitely has a purpose, and I think that purpose is on dedicated/semi-dedicated AI loadouts. The more blind corners and terrain you have to deal with, the better it gets. With CompArmor as complete junk now, this is one of our first choices for an AI build. That said, I still think Stealth or Mineguard (!!!) are the best bets for pure AI.

I know this thread is NC-focused, but ProxRadar becoming a defense and Turbo going to passive is the greatest thing that has happened for my Vanu. A PPA w/ Prox, and an AI MAX or Lasher HA in the back is soo dirty.

It's not the greatest, but it definitely has it's place. You just need to get creative. There are also a number of bases you should not be able to get a Harasser into, that you can definitely get a Harasser into. Parking a Fury or Bulldog Harasser with Prox on a point is still incredibly effective.

EDIT: OH yah, the one big drawback of ProxRadar, besides not having the other defense options. You need to cert at least rank 2 (IMO, rank 3) to make it useful. With how fast Harassers can go, you need that extended range to have time to react.
    • Up x 3
  9. oberchingus

All Tech Plants, Subterranean Nanite Analysis, and the new Quartz Ridge are some examples of great AI farms. droooool. :D

I used to run prox on my marauder loadout before PU2 for certain situations. I agree that rank 3 or higher is best for extra reaction time.
    • Up x 1
  10. Mrasap

Thanks for the quick replies! I was thinking of using prox radar in a dedicated AI setup with the PPA. I figured it would help finding targets, and, in addition, help against HAs that get the jump on us.

Since the opinions are mixed I think I'll give it a shot.

p.s. I don't know if you know this, but smoke also removes you from the minimap. It's incredibly effective with stealth.
  11. dstock

Gah, just when I thought easy mode couldn't get any easier! Haha, just kidding, we got the nerf that deserved.

I think we've got rank 3 on two factions and rank 4 on the third. The gap between two and three is big, even though, unless I'm mistaken, it's the gap between three and four that has the biggest improvement in range. I dunno, I haven't looked at it for awhile.

I can't remember the name of the base I'm thinking of. It's in the center/north of Amerish I believe, near Crux, and it has an East/West road that runs on the north side of it. The vehicle spawn is underground and dumps out directly onto the road. I'm thinking east of Ikanam? Anyways, you can drive a Harasser up the stairs to the west of the vehicle spawn, where the posts would normally prevent vehicles from going, then turbo up the natural ramp flanking the posts. The silly spawn design has a footpath up the west side you can drive up, and with a good prox radar, you will see everything that spawns there, while forcing infantry to run up the path to engage you (blindspots from spawn, yay!!!). Bulldog heaven.

Also, who is KoS-1? Does he play with us when I'm on TR?

As an aside, I made an NC on Connery recently. My AI loadout there is the chrome bullhorns cosmetic. Dead serious, my noob buggy is basically stock, though I put different turrets on it for the lols. I've just never seen footzergs like that before. I wish they had a cowcatcher cosmetic...

I actually just started certing smoke on my Harasser since Turbo went passive. I've been loving it, but I didn't know this, so, thank you. I've been trying to figure out the different overlaps between utilities and defense, now that we have real options with passive Turbo.

Like I said, though, ProxRadar + PPA + dedicated AI troop in the back (AI MAX or Lasher HA) is about as good as it gets for an AI buggy.
    • Up x 1
  12. oberchingus

He does play with us on TR actually: [ECUS] Crackabat :)

I also didn't know about the minimap removal either. Thank you!

I use smokescreen for everything mentioned in this thread and everything you see in movies. It will deter, confuse, and divert the enemy. Milk it for all it's worth.
  13. The Red One

I don't know how you keep not understanding I am just saying turbo is better for escape and attack since a harasser releases a lot of smoke when less then 3/4 life so basically after taking one hit you can find the harasser by looking for smoke
  14. Sagabyte

Tips for AI harasser:

Gear:
    -Always have stealth on so you can farm without anyone knowing who is shooting at you. In major battles it may not seem like the best option, but when nobody pays attention to you it's a sign of an incoming farm session.
    -Since stealth makes IR less effective, run fire suppression to make sure that you won't die.
    -GSD is very situational and something that you shouldn't bother investing in.
    -Cover bobbing is your best friend. When you see dumbfires, pull back. When there is a group of helpless infantry, blast 'em. However, always look up for the C4 brotherhood. They will end your spree FAST.
    -Cover bobbing works best with the scrapper chassis.
    -Use a gun like the Kobalt and the Bulldog to farm really well. The Walker and Enforcer are okay, but are more specialized in case you wander into a Liberator/tank. Don't use the C-85 until it gets mega-buffed.

Strategy:
    -Cover bobbing is your best friend. When you see dumbfires, pull back into safety. When there is a group of helpless infantry, blast 'em.
    -Always look up for the C4 brotherhood. They will end your spree FAST.
    -It's safe to ram infantry. Make sure they aren't near any hazards before you decide to ram them.
    -Check your gunner's angles. If they have good firing angles, they can both shoot infantry and hit any other obstacle that might be in some unconventional spot
    -Communicate. A harasser team can be as good as a liberator crew with a dedicated team as long as you talk to each other.
    -When people start pulling Anti-light armor and AV gear, find a different battle to fight at UNLESS you are in a spot that is hard to reach or get to.
    -Be greedy but cautious. Whenever you kill infantry get all the kills you can before you go, but make sure you aren't trying to kill rocket primary heroes coordinated in military formation.
    -Opportunities are your judgement. If you see 3 infantry running after a base is capped, it might be 3 easy kills. However, they could be followed by an armor wall that would turn you into a pile of disorganized nanites. It's always your call on opportunities for kills.