April 29th Maintenance Update

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CubanRefugee

You know, being in IT for so long, there's only so little you can really put up with, especially when people start spouting off things that they think is gospel of how businesses are run or how major patching/system upgrades should work.

The mere idea that "Hay guys, I kept some financial software down for only 24 minutes, I know how IT works!" can even be used as a comparison to the magnitude of what SOE is doing was just too much for me to ignore.

Edit: Holy terrible metaphors, Batman.
    • Up x 1
  2. Flatfish

I'm sorry that you feel that way.
  3. supernet2

im in tears. Thats. thats just beautiful. In a hilariously horrible way. LOL AND ITS SO TRUE
  4. ShadWulf

There are a lot of words here but I can't really find anything of substance to respond to. I know it will seem like I'm being a typical Internets guy, but you really need to learn the difference between You';re, your, there, their, and they're.

Google them stuffs while the Planetside is down.
    • Up x 2
  5. Nitish Sharma

I know right,LA and Infils,and then the guy be like "BUT WE HAVE JACKHAMMER",then the lady be like"We snipers make a difference" xD
    • Up x 1
  6. Flatfish

not sure that i remember reading anywhere about any guarantee of server stability
    • Up x 2
  7. Bindlestiff

They aren't doing it to quell the needs of some nerds. They are a business, and when servers are down that means their business has no opportunity to make money. Paying - paying - customers have every right to be disgruntled with each passing moment they are down because they have invested in a service that is not being delivered.

What frustrates me on these forums, though shouldn't really surprise me, are those who believe that because this is a F2P game then everyone should just put up and shut up. As others have already said, if I had the same kind of interruption of service from ANYTHING else I pay for, I would be reimbursed for the (extended) downtime. It is that simple.

Those who pay for the game via subscriptions to support its continued development are intrinsically linked to SOE and PS2. If those same people get frustrated, don't feel they are getting the service they paid for and feel repeatedly let down and unappreciated they will leave. PS2 without a constant paying customer base will wither and die.
    • Up x 1
  8. supernet2

i was to busy raging on my keyboard like a angry code monkey to care for the grammar. Also Hal failed to correct it so oh wellz.
  9. CupofNoodles

It doesnt have to be via subscriptions. I have paid a heavy amount in this game for weapons, camo, gear, etc. and have logged many hours. Those who pay for this game via any amount of money have the right to be frustrated.
    • Up x 2
  10. The Crimson Typhoon

Radar, you're my hero. Keep up the great work guys, really appreciate everything :D
    • Up x 1
  11. Li3ber87

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise. GG SOE on another awesome update process and all for a "feature" that I'm willing to bet not too many people give a rats behind about. I'd just like my PS2 back please, is it too late to roll this piece of junk back on the servers if you can't fix it? Right now I'm paying membership for a game that I can't use just to get "premium" access to a bunch of games that I don't want to use. I seriously doubt that I will still be paying for anything SOE related next month. You guys have just been going from bad to worse, it's actually getting kinda funny...

P.S. Save Briggs!!!!
  12. Bindlestiff

Not everyone is freeloading on this game. It is a F2P game with a subscription element, alongside SC purchases. I guess you missed the Upgrade Now button? Want me to ask SOE to make it even bigger for you? Should it play an Upgrade Now tune as you log in? F2P doesn't work without paying customers to support it going forward, and if you believe any different you are in fantasy land my friend.

Blissful ignorance is blissful ignorance.

So if my landline goes down, I cannot use it. Since I pay a monthly / quarterly standing charge, I will get reimbursed for the time it is down and I am unable to use the service. The same is true of my mobile phone, or my television subscription.

If my electric goes down and is off for an extended period, then granted my house isn't using electricity so I am not being billed for "non use". I do however again pay for the provision of the service and anything outside of an emergency is unacceptable downtime. Depending on how long the outage is, even as a result of an emergency, the company will even reimburse me for frozen goods thawing out. It is a similar story for gas. I don't even have to go out of my way for this to happen, because it is good customer service and a recognition that outages are not the norm, they are to be considered the exception. Sorry if it isn't the same where you are.

F2P does not mean SOE can provide a substandard service - and this is what we have had with PS2 for months now - and expect everyone, both paying and non paying, to put up with it.
  13. monchee

If you're doing what you say you are you know never to make unrealistic promises. That's just part of being professional as I understand it and that has nothing to do with what you do, it's a matter of principle, like the customer being right, and in general being thorough as possible. If you think something is volatile, don't try to slip it in under the radar and act surprised when things go flying. The bigger the gig the bigger the risk, as you should be fully aware, and despite a lack of specifics you aren't here to be rational, something was said about running a business that triggered a response from you, maybe having had a bad experience with some management? Are you one of those types who wants to think he knows it all and does it better than everyone else? The guy that pays you, at the end of the day he is right, or you might be out of a job.
    • Up x 2
  14. ShadWulf

If you spent money on a game knowing full well that downtime and outages are part of life on the Internet, you really don't have a leg to stand on regarding your entitlement to, whatever it is you think you're entitled to.

If you didn't realize downtime and outages were part of life on the Internet, well, that is an entirely different can of worms.

I want to repeat myself one more time: Most of you don't seem to understand the nature of the transactions you're discussing. When you bought stationcash, you were given everything you were owed when it was added to your wallet. If you paid for a helmet, you were given everything you were owed the moment it was unlocked. Most of you simply have a fundamental lack of understanding of what exactly a micro-transaction based MMO entitles you to. You're uninformed buyers.

No one is saying that SoE shouldn't offer everyone something to show their appreciation for our patience and understanding...I, we, have an issue with your poor manners and bad attitudes.
    • Up x 3
  15. o.Solei.o

This, right here. I'm pulling an all-nighter because of finals, but I'm wildly happy that I don't have to pull their all-nighter.

Those of us with jobs deeply appreciate what you guys are doing for our entertainment.

The rest can chill the hell out. It's a game. It'll be up tomorrow, unless something catches fire. So get some sleep and hope nothing catches fire!
  16. LogixHunter

1st off, for the few of you "Paying >>>Members<<<" who are complaining about the downtime saying that your losing out on the fact you can't play. ARE YOU SERIOUS?! I hope you realize this WHOLE update is revolved around an experience your going to enjoy... NOT any F2P player would! This update is more because of you then anything else realistically.

To the one guy that made a metaphor of our understanding of an online gaming community is like that of us doing brain surgery... Well im no brain surgeon, but I have been apart of, and created my own gaming communities before. Debugging is probably one of the most annoying things I've ever done in my life. It's literally a cycle of re-program, compile, test-run (hope it works), and repeat ... Literally next to impossible to think of an ETA. Try ask yourself how long it will take for you to solve a physics problem that you keep getting wrong. You can only guess as to when its going to be done.

And to finally address the people that seem to think SOE is the Illuminati of the gaming world (along with EA)... And that they're "Up to something"... Thinking about it logically.. The longer their service is down, the less people buying SC or Memberships until they're up. Your not paying for anything else, so what kind of business plan is it, to have all your forms of income for a company down. They OBVIOUSLY want to get this up probably more then we do.
  17. snipesharkVS

Wow, I feel so bored. will I ever get to play before I go to work tomorrow? I definitely won't get any sleep just waiting that's for sure. Good night Soe, and good luck. Sorry, about the comment before, about the only way to go after 100% is down. I was just having a withdrawal moment like some sort of crack head who just dropped his last rock at 6 in the morning lol. Hopefully there were no hard feelings.
  18. zerodantheman

I'm up and I am bored. Any way I can help you guys out?
  19. icebalm

Nope, you've paid for in game items that you get to use, in game. What do you think is going to happen to those items when PS2 finally goes down for good and SOE shuts the servers down? Do you think you're going to get that money back?
  20. BarnacIe

Got a question, if a % of that said transaction to buy a helmet goes to the cost of running the server. Doesn't that mean they do have grounds to request that what they pay for they get. So technically you are helping pay for the running of the servers, therefor you can complain when they are down.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.