Fps drops

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Choni, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Choni

Hi there,

I seem to have fps drops in big battles and it drops down to 5-15 fps quite often and it lasts a few seconds.
    I play on the lowest settings, with the render distance of 2000. Alt+F ingame tells me that the problem is cpu related.
    I have unparked my cores(this helped a little), planetside2.exe priority is on high, im using gamebooster and nothing extra is running in the background.All drivers are up to date.

My specs:
    Amd fx 8320 8*3,5ghz
    Nvidia geforce gtx 650 2gb
    8gb of ram
    plenty of space on the hard drive.

I have no clue, what is going on, thank you for the help:)
    • Up x 1
  2. Smagjus

Either switch to Intel or overclock the hell out of this CPU. Or wait for SOE to fix it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Furrydaus

AMD's are very notorious for lagging in Planetside 2. You should use an intel with that gpu and youll be fine.
    Like the other guy said, overclock it if you can switch cpus
  4. TheAppl3

I like how the mindlessly-hate-AMD club swooped in right away. An FX-8320 should NEVER be getting 5-15fps in PS2. Sudden drops from higher numbers reinforce the fact that it's not a lack of overall power.

It's one of many silly PS2 bugs that I unfortunately don't have a suggestion for other than making sure your system is stable (temps/voltages) and verifying your game files. Don't go thinking your processor is crap and causing this due to that.
  5. Furrydaus

I'm not really a hater of AMD Pc's. I actually love AMD in the GPU area. I feel bad for players with 8-core AMD processors expecting good FPS in Planetside 2. As you said, its a bug the devs dont want to fix but that's how it is right now. The reason why I go all out Intel and Nvidia for Planetside 2 only. I only turn on this build when I play Planetside. Any other things, I use my AMD Laptop or my old Acer that runs all out Intel
  6. Demuerte

Interesting, running an AMD FX-8350 8-core at 4 Ghz (stock) with an NVidia GTX-660ti and was consistently getting 60+ FPS on ultra settings . Large Bio Lab fights would drop it down to 35+ FPS. At least until SOE started spamming patches a while back. Now the game either works flawlessly, or crashes frequently. It is like going to the crap table and rolling the dice with PS 2, you don't know if you will be lucky enough to play the game at any given time.
    • Up x 1
  7. Furrydaus

Planetside 2 players with AMD CPUS in a nutshell
  8. Demuerte

In a nutshell? I used to run PS2 in WINE on my Debian box at 40 - 50 FPS consistently with this sub-standard AMD processor. It is not whether I am running an Intel or AMD. It is all about SOE's piss-poor coding and complete lack of competent quality control. And the way I read your post, it sounds like it is only us AMD users that are having problems with PS2.
  9. squarebug

my AMD/ATI setup has done fine with 50+ FPS the only real problem im having is the 64 bit client and equipment terminals. to counter this i've unbound the e key ha ha
  10. Re1aX

I have a GeFroce GTX 670MX and this last update has taken my FPS from 50 down to 15. Why do i still bother to pay for this garbage. I've been playing since beta and in 2 years every patch is the same thing. They fix an issue and then the following patch they jack it up again. Get your **** together SOE......
  11. King_Brutus

Yeah my FPS has made the game completely unplayable after the update. I love when this happens.
  12. Octiceps

Hey smarties, PlanetSide 2 is using your integrated GPU. Go into Nvidia Control Panel and make it use your discrete one. You'll get all your frames back and more.

/facepalm
    • Up x 1
  13. kingdxp

yes, 64bit client ,then fps drops and another big problem, models dont show completely ,some UV is missed
  14. TheAppl3

There are plenty of Intel setups getting sporadic fps drops as well. It has nothing to do with Intel vs. AMD.
  15. Smagjus

The intensity of the framedrops is directly related to the single thread performance. Therfore you are better off with Intel.
    • Up x 1
  16. Sahana

Hello,
    I have Nvidia GeForce 660 and I've been using Razer Game Booster. Typically I get around 50 FPs, but after this recent patch I drop to 15.

Just thought I'd let you know SOE that something went wrong and has drastically reduced performance. Please fix this ASAP, the severe drop in FPS has made the game unplayable. I am literally only logging on for the daily certs.

EDIT: I have a 64-Bit System. So I think the problem is with this update you guys released for it.