DirectX 11 / Crossfire

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Chaen, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Chaen

Are there any plans of releasing a DirectX 11 compatible client? More specifically for improvements in Crossfire performance. I've seen a few old threads with different things people have tried, but I admit I'm new to using Crossfire so some of the terminology is foreign to me. Any resources that someone might be able to direct me to that could help my understanding?

System specs:
    CPU: Intel I7 Sandybridge 2600k
    Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme6
    PSU: Seasonic 860W 80+ Platinum (71A on 12V rail)
    Graphics: MSI Twin Frozr Boost 7970 & Sapphire Boost 7970
    Memory: 8GB Patriot Gamer 2 series DDR3 (9-9-9-24 timings)
    Hard drives: 256 GB Patriot Pyro SSD, 1 TB WD Black storage, 320GB Seagate secondary storage (Linux drive)
    CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (120mm fan)
    • Up x 1
  2. namd3

DX11 is not yet supported, Smed tweeted earlier this year thats its being worked on, so at the present time PS2 use's DX9

Crossfire or Sli (nvidia's Multi-GPU configuration) isn't supported at the moment, its recommended you disable the 2nd card.

Lets hope Both these things are fixed in future updates, currently none of these have a road map slot (which they should)
  3. Octiceps

I'd recommend turning off CrossFire for PlanetSide 2 as AMD still has unresolved issues with DX9 frame pacing in its drivers which means DX9 games will have a lot of frame runts, drops, and tearing causing excessive microstuttering. SLI is fine though and unaffected. Frame pacing has been fixed for DX10/11 games though, so you'll have to wait for this game to become DX11 or for AMD to fix DX9 frame pacing in its drivers, whichever comes first.
  4. Sliced

I hope DX11 is being worked on, or DX12 now but I can't see if happening for a very long time.
  5. Octiceps

Wouldn't this game have to be DX11 in the near future if it's gonna be on PS4 soonish?

Also @OP make sure you overclock that CPU as much as you can. This more than anything will help with performance in this game especially during large battles. I'd imagine a stock 2600K would bottleneck a 7970 in this game, to say nothing of two in CrossFire.
  6. Smagjus

An 2600k at 6GHz under nitrogen would still limit the 7970, at least at full HD.
  7. Sliced

No, The PS4 and XBox One are DX 11 compatible, XB1 will soon be DX12 compatible but that doesn't mean that is the only games they can play.
    PS2 could run DX9 on the PS4. It wouldn't be optimal, but it's completely possible.
    DX11 / 12 cards can play any previous DX versions, although really old versions may be buggy as they no longer have any support.
  8. Octiceps

Such is the nature of this game. :(

Why would PS2 on PS4 be developed on anything lower than a DX11 or equivalent feature set if the goals are to be as CTM as possible and to fully exploit the functionality of a modern day DX11-class GCN GPU for best graphics and performance? Plus the amount of API overhead in DX9 is already one of the biggest performance bottlenecks in the PC version. Can you imagine how that 1.6 GHz 8-core AMD Jaguar netbook/tablet CPU (of which only 6 cores are available to developers for games) would sputter and die trying to run a game of this scale in its current state?
  9. Sliced

That's like saying why are current games on PC using DX9. They use DX9 because it's easier and more people have DX9 as many people still use XP or don't have a DX10, 11 card.
    We would like all games on consoles to be DX11 and hopefully they are but that may not be the case.
    Just look at the PS4. It's GCN however it doesn't use Mantal and probably never will. Why? because it's more work.
  10. Octiceps

Tell me: How many AAA games since, say, 2011 are DX9 only? I can count it out on two hands: This one, Red Orchestra 2, MW3, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Source games...that's it? So yeah, I'm not aware of any current-gen PC games that are DX9. And what's the install base for WinXP/DX9-class GPU in this game? Like less than 5% of all players? DX10 GPU's and OSes have been on the market for over 7 years. You shouldn't even be playing this game if you have a DX9 GPU as the minspec calls for a GeForce 8600 or Radeon 4850 which are both DX10 GPU's. The vast majority of Steam users surveyed in its monthly poll use DX10+ GPU's and OSes. What's the sense in developing this game for the lowest common denominator if it'll hurt the experience for the overwhelming majority of your player base? Especially considering that the ones playing on their ancient grandma Internet/Facebook PC's are less likely to be invested in this game and have disposable incomes to spend on it than those with much better rigs.

PS4 doesn't use Mantle because it already has its own low-level API and Mantle is designed for PC. However, game developers and Mantle architects have said that Mantle is extremely similar to the PS4 API, much more so than it is to the XBone API.

Anyway, that's all beside the point. Smed already Tweeted that this game is getting DX11 later this year. It's also coming out on PS4 in the same time frame. It doesn't take a genius or experienced game programmer to add two and two together and figure out that DX11 development on the PC and the PS4 port are intrinsically linked.
  11. Gammit

??? My SLI works fine

Agreed, SLI seems to be OK with my 560 Tis.