SAS-R, TSAR-42 and Ghost with Straight-pull Bolt - ultimate scout rifle?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Umrtvovacz, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Umrtvovacz

So now that the Straight-pull Bolt (Supercooled Coil for Vanu) has been released, I have been thinking about SAS-R, TSAR-42 and Ghost. Those are close range sniper rifles, with 1x-4x scopes (like scout rifles) but the damage and mechanics of bolt action sniper rifles, but much faster refire time. When you combine those weapons with the new Straight-pull Bolt attachment, you get decent rate of fire semi auto rifle with ability to reliably kill with two shots to body while still keeping it's ability to one hit kill on headshots. The biggest downside is limited ammo, with only 5 in magazine. Despite this, I still think this setup could prove to be the ultimate mid-range scout rifle, even better than Vandal. Even though these are not scout rifles at all, but sniper rifles. :D

I will try this later, as I don't want to spend 500 SC on weapon that costs 250 certs :)eek:) so I need to get more certs. Meanwhile I'd like to see your opinion.
    • Up x 1
  2. Vivicector

Gonna buy one for Ghost when the game will be stable again. The gun is very good already, and gonna be even better with that attachment.
  3. Rafutela

I've bought the Straight-pull Bolt for my SAS-R yesterday right after the release.
    Well, I have to say it's really an improvement for that rifle in particular, where you have to be in close to mid range (you can follow the second shot right after the body-shot-missed-headshot)

What i've learned about the biggest downside isn't the limited ammo (still a sniper rifle), it's the tunnel vision who get amplified.
    Just don't think it's an improved scout rifle.
    But those who get used to the gameplay of the SAS-R / TSAR / Ghost (still a minority) will understand better.
  4. DeadliestMoon

So whats the downside to the attachment?
  5. Kociboss

None.
  6. DeadliestMoon

So why was this allowed?
    • Up x 1
  7. Vivicector

What is the downside of the forward grip? Downside of an extended mag? Laser sight?

4x scopes, that disappear with the cloaking help a lot with situational awareness.
    • Up x 4
  8. K4is0r

My Post in the "Infiltrator Changes" Thread:

9. RockPlanetSide2

The downside is that there are about 100x as many snipers, moving at a crawl pace or not moving at all... sniping. It makes for a lot of counter snipe targets. Just saying. It's easy to forget now that you are just standing (or close to it) still plain as day firing off 5 shots... that is a long time for an enemy sniper to just shoot you.
    • Up x 1
  10. iller

Because sniping doesn't affect the Meta in any fashion whatsoever
  11. TorigomaSET

Sounds like you don't know how to Snipe well then. A GOOD sniper has 2 Jobs. Counter-Sniping and Picking off support. It's the Snipers Job to kill Medics and Engis, and to Stop enemy Snipers from doing the same to you. There's been many times that I've personally, or seen a Camp broken thanks to a Good Sniper.
    • Up x 1
  12. ShotgunGuru

I am going to get straight pull bolt as soon as i get the silencer i got for my Rebel i bought a day ago, played an hour since and got 68 certs.
    Happy Hunting!
    -Shotgun
  13. iller

EMP / SMGs kill real medics .... any medic who dies to snipers wasn't a threat to begin with. Nor was any Heavy.
    Snipers don't cap points. Snipers don't hold points. Snipers don't kill Sundies/LIBs. Snipers don't kill MAXes either.

Get good please before you tell someone else they're not good
  14. Badmagic362

Back on topic, the straight through bolt is awesome and a nice addition. Surprisingly I didn't find it over powered like I though it would, even on the SAS-R, little ammo and definite tunnel vision. I had fun all day today with it.
    • Up x 1
  15. Spoprockel

So suppressing enemy forces to allow the rest of the team to move in and do all that doesn't count in your books? o_O
  16. iller

I guess it does.... if by "suppress" you mean they just zigzag a lot more and don't stop as causally to ADS if they know what's good for them. Wait, are you using the regular BASRs/SASR or are you using a Longshot?? That kinda matters
  17. Spoprockel

Depends on the situation really.

If there's a bunch of heavies up on a hill or cliff preventing our tanks to move in on a base i use my longshot.

If they are closer / easier to flank i'll use my suppressed SAS-R.

If it's a bunch of AV turret users i might flank them with stalker / Commish, although i've heard they adjusted the hitbox of those to make it easier to snipe them.

Why is it important for you what weapon i use for the job?
  18. Deschain

SaS-R Laco 3.4 scope and suppressor is a very sweet setup, hunter cloak and maxed ammo belt, used it yesterday and had a ball with it.
  19. Rafutela

Hmm ... snipers suppressing snipers isn't gonna change the income of the battle (which is often the case unfortunately) ...
    • Up x 1
  20. Deschain

heh , yeh, theres the 50 prowlers Maggrders to deal with too and nobody pulls Vanguards anymore.
    • Up x 1