VS Zenith VX-5 First look

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Codex561, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Codex561

So I tried out the VS Zenith VX-5 and here is what I could observe about it by trialing it and staring at stats.

The damage is very standard for VS: 143@10m then it falls down to 112.

Its a CQC weapon so I will compare it with the serpent.

The damage mentioned above is the same.
    Zenith got higher velocity but that does not matter for either of them.
    They got the same attachments options

The accuracy is almost the same, it differs when you are moving and hip firing, making zenith a little more accurate.
    The recoil is not very pleasant making it ineffective at range.
    But allowing you to move faster than with the serpent.

So they look pretty damn similar. Yet the serpent kills faster and cheaper. The is really no reason to get this gun unless you want something new and shiny.
  2. Tommyp2006

Zenith has .75 ads. I think that's intended to be it's main selling point. Also has access to advanced grip and advanced laser IIRC, unless they changed that. So it might be a bit more versatile.
    • Up x 2
  3. Codex561

4. minhalexus

I think you didnt do your homework well.

Zenith is 723 RPM, and serpent is 845 Rpm.
    There is no way a difference of 45 Rpm.

They difference in which zenith is better than serpent:-

1. Accuracy
    2. Reload
    3. MV
    • Up x 1
  5. Codex561

50, 100, whatever. Im doing it by memory.
  6. Shanther

Despite the Zenith's ROF I think it is more fair to compare it to the NS-11C given they both have tha .75 ADS and are both close to mid range weapons. It falls very squarely in a close to mid range weapon which the VX6-7 and Serpent do not. It is better then the default at range and CQC but it isn't a good at either as the Serpent / VX6-7 and Pulsar C. It fills that gap rather well.
  7. ShumaKun

Lol bro your post is garbage. How many kills you have with serpent and zenith to write this useless post? Zenith is good, it is not that good at range like pulsar/solstice and not that good in CQC like serpent/vx67, but it is more versatile then all of them.
  8. Tentakewls

I think we already knew the Zenith had nothing going for it since the PTS. For the same price you can get the Serpent and the Pulsar C and some attachements on both and both perform better on it's repective ranges than the Zenith. I don't think it's a bad gun like the PoS Solstice SF is, but it doesn't really add anything we didn't already have.
    • Up x 1
  9. vanu123

I like it, I was hoping it would be 167 damage but this is good. If you put a adv. foregrip+compensator you are a beast at mid range. If you put an adv. laser sight you are pretty good at close range.
  10. GrymMSK

It would be very good at its intended role if it had a 2x and HVA. As it stands, its hard to get by the fact that the serpent and the vx6-7 can take care of anything in the 1x reflex area better, and the pulsar is better at 3.4 and up area (though I still prefer 2x on it). They seem to have balanced the .75x ads speed by making so that nobody would want to ads in the first place.
  11. Xebov

In my eyes the gun is completely useless, it can do everything but theres allways an existiung gun wich performs much better. On one hand you get the Advanced Laser Sight wich can turn the gun into a CQC Hipfire weapon, but is outclassed by Serpent and VX6-7 in pure DPS. On the Otherhand you get Advanced Forward Grip and Compensator but get outclassed by the Pulsar C because the Horizontal Recoil is to high, no 2x Reflex and no HVA available. The 0.75 Movement Modifier is nice but doesnt make up for the downsides compared to the Pulsar C.

I had high hopes they would turn this gun into a close-med ADS weapon, there was alot of feedback regarding this, but it was ignored. Now we have a 3rd wepaon that encourages spray and pray without the use of scopes. I realy hope we will get a good ADS themed close-mid range weapon someday.
  12. TeknoBug

"mobility in mind" is what these 3 new carbines was described as in the patch notes, so .75x ADS movement bonus.

Still I didn't bother with either the Zenith nor Bandit because other guns of the faction perform better and I don't run around like a chimp with ADHD, I did pick up the HC1 Cougar because it's a worthwhile carbine for TR.
    Jack of all trades, master of none?
  13. z1967

Its a VS-ified Jaguar. That is all. I'm out.
    • Up x 2
  14. Koldorn

Jack of all sounds more akin to the SF. Which, despite being a 'low dps' carbine; handles incredibly smoothly. Kit it up as a gun (I know, blasphemy!) and try it in the VR.

There is no situation / niche the Zenith fills that the VX6-7 doesn't just fill better.
    Unless you are only going for the 'token vs x.75 ads gun. Even given that case:
    -The VX allows you to move at 100% speed, and have perfectly great accuracy with an adv laser and hipfire at all "close range" distances.
    -The zenith has incredibly unruly horizontal recoil, and a slow projectile that do not allow it to operate into "medium range"s.
    -The zenith lacks any ammo type; pushing the VX6-7's close range advantage an additional 5m.
    -The zenith lacks a 2x reflex scope, solidifying it into close ranges only.

If you have a VX6-7, the zenith is already obsolete for your tool kit.
    If you are only picking up one gun, the VX6-7 has much more easily controlled ads fire; it wins everywhere.
    If you have arax'd all carbines and just want a new purple medal; grab a zenith with certs. You certainly should have enough.

My personal issue with the zenith; is that we didn't need another close / med carbine. The Solstice VE3 pushes the "versitile" card, the VX & serpent push the "close / med" and "close" cards respectively. PulsarC gets long range. What were the VS missing?
    -.75x ads
    -a high velocity carbine.

We got a .75x ads, that only performs (thanks TR horizontal jitter) in close, where an adv.laser VX still beats it. (thank you softpoint)
    • Up x 1
  15. Codex561

Not really, did you even try using it? Its not very versatile. The recoil is very much like the serpent making it ineffective at range and by getting a forward grip you do not take advantage of the hipfire.
  16. Nakar

The hipfire seems fine without a laser, even with a Compensator on. It's a gun with an ADS bonus, it's meant to be used in ADS. It's basically a carbine SVA-88, or maybe a carbine Carnage, and we know how dreadful those two weapons are, right?
  17. sindz

Yes cause SVA-88 and carnage have teh same damage model as a carbine and also has 460m/s velocity.

It has crap velocity so its garbage for medium to long range engagements. Close, serpent and VX6-7 blows it out of the water. Medium solstice and pulsar C are better.

Zenith doesnt do anything well, its a waste of certs.
  18. Nakar

I'd say it does everything well. I'm curious how it's worse than the Solstice given that it does more damage over time than the Solstice with better mobility and easier handling.

It's the VS Jaguar, except it trades the DPM of the Jaguar/Bandit for some pretty incredible handling and a slightly quicker reload than either. It's not perfect, but people who say Jaguar analogues are bad are, well, factually incorrect.
  19. sindz

Lets see, 1k certs vs free. And zenith doesnt have any 2x sights so you cant push it beyond close range really. And you compare it to the Jag, which is fine, but VS have 2 guns called the serpent and VX6-7, so why would you ever get zenith over those?
  20. Koldorn

All of the things mentioned; the VX6 can do better.
    It can do anything, better then you. (Zenith)

That's the problem. Your token x75 ads is irrelevant when the VX pushes similar ranges from hipfire. Which is x1.00 speed.
    I'd say the softpoint is an additional boon for the VX. That 5-extra meters of full damage goodness is not to be underestimated.
    But I'm glad we're bringing hard data into the argument:

(VX6-7) / (Zenith)
    Rate of fire: 800 / 723
    Bullet Velocity: 465 / 460
    Ammunition: 240 / 210
    Minimum damage (@60m) 100 / 112
    Reload(short): 2.15 / 2.18
    Recoil angle: (20/30) / (4/5) **
    Recoil: .3 / .295
    Firstshot M: 3 / 2.4

Now the recoil angle is debatable; I'd contend, that since the 20-30 degree cone for directional recoil already requires a left pull to compensate for, the horizontal recoil is somewhat mitigated. The Zenith's recoil 'cone' is incredibly small, I can illustrate if necessary. But as it's almost completely vertical the net feeling is akin to the PulsarC, "jittery".

Some of the weapon is personal preference. How valuable is the attachment options to you?
    The zenith gains the compensator, adv forward grip. But loses softpoint. If you build close range, (the land of the adv laser) VX wins hands down. If you try pushing 50-60m; the zenith has better attachment options, but I feel the recoil angle on the VX still makes it easier to keep on target.* This point is based on personal preference admittedly.

So it's not to say the weapon is bad. More like... it just doesn't do anything the VS really needed.
    • Up x 1