Rocketlaunchers better at AI than Grenadelaunchers?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by eldarfalcongravtank, Apr 16, 2014.

1. eldarfalcongravtank

Underbarrel Grenade launchers:
    - only kill with direct hit versus infantry (even though they are for AI! since they do marginal damage against vehicles)
    - have insane projectile drop/arc
    - take very long to resupply
    - take quite long to reload
    - can't be used scoped-in
    - only available to S-variant carbines/assault rifles, which suck terribly due to low firerate, low accuracy, low DPS and high recoil (so basically, you need to use an uncompetitive primary to have an UBGL, while Heavy Assaults retain both great LMGS and great Rocketlaunchers)
    - only available to anti-infantry classes Medic/LA/Engineer (while Heavy Assault should be anti-vehicle)

Rocket launchers:
    - kill infantry with direct hit as well (even though they are AV!)
    - have more damage than grenade launchers
    - have higher splash damage
    - have less drop, more accuracy
    - travel much further
    - have 4 rockets in reserve, resupply fast
    - are much easier to use

seriously, i dont get why SoE hasn't dealt with this yet. this doesn't really make much sense and it is also pretty bad balancing imo. they keep nerfing Grenadelaunchers into uselessness while leaving S-variant weapons in a sorry state. at the same time, they completely neglect the Rocketlaunchers' much better AI capabilities

remember, i DON'T say they should nerf the heavy assault class or nerf the Rocketlaunchers' AV! but damage/splash against infantry targets has to be taken a look at
    • Up x 2
  2. Tuco

SHHH! You'll get splash damage nerfed.
  3. doombro

Well, yeah, silly. Rockets are bigger than grenades.
    • Up x 1
  4. FateJH

You forgot the part where the UBGL has an arming distance (even smoke grenades) of about 10m.

The really silly thing is rocket launchers can be used up close and the person shooting them takes little damage.
  5. Stigma

UBGL is about where it needs to be currently. It used to be insanely overpowered and every biolab fight deteriorated into UBGL spam because you could essentially just lob them into rooms from safety and get kills on every other grenade because the splash was so potent. Now it is more of a support weapon, good to have when running into MAXes you need to deal with, and for smoke-deployment in squad-play.

The rocketlauncher (or more specifically the rocket-primary HA playstyle) is indeed a problem. I actually run into a surprising amount of players who seem to use NOTHING but their rockets. Even when they miss their first shot they don't even try to pull their main or a sidearm but instead jump around randomly while trying to reload their rocketlauncher .... *sigh* Rockets are supposed to be used against MAXes, vehicles and turrets ect. not to be a ghetto-shotgun (with surprising range and accuracy compared to actual shotguns) against infantry. They just need be modified through the resist type to not instakill a full health player (do say 800hp on a direct hit, including the splash). If they aren't instakill then people will stop using them as crutch AI weapons while they still have plenty of uses for weakening a tight-packed group of target splashing someone waiting for you around a doorway corner. The ghetto shotgun abuse gets even more absurd anytime you have a spawn-room shield anywhere as essentially nothing beats a rocketlauncher at anti-infantry peekaboo games.

-Stigma
  6. Lucidius134

-All dumb fire rocket launchers now have a 8m arming distance except decimators
    • Up x 2
  7. Trebb

This is an easy fix: Add a minimum arming distance, same as the UBGL.

While you're at it, maybe remove the OHK from my precious Engie-AV turret, or at the very least remove its splash damage. I feel bad farming infantry with it, but I do when I'm out of vehicles to blow up :p

edit: didnt see the post above till now, pretty sure I've been killed just prior to this patch from under 8m, with 0 splash damage done to the rocket wielder ;\
  8. Unclematos7

The UBGL was great, then they commited a series of atrocities to it in PU2.:(
    • Up x 1
  9. Stigma

That would sure alleviate most of the problems associated with it too, but is that something that is has been patched on test-server or something?... Or are you just "making a suggestion for a patch" ?

-Stigma
  10. Winfield

Nadelauncher spam was ridiculous in comparison to rocket launchers.

I would know, I abused the hell out of it. I hope they never make UBGLs as good again.
  11. HLM

You know I can't even remember the last time I saw an UBGL in use.
  12. Lucidius134

Fake patch note, because i figured it would get more flame that way.

Decimators would be more than just harder hitting stock rocket launchers with slightly slower projectiles and have a better niche but then we get into the whole, they still would be hip fired and OHK most infantry. Putting things behind an access wall doesn't fix them. I was initially thinking stock rocket launchers should have no arm distance and all others should but then it would still be widely availible and hip-fireable.

There are times when i'm killing tanks and within 3m of them so arming distances would effect their AV I think?

If that went live you would have seen "I quit the game because of rocket nerf" threads lol. It's not actually in the game. Sorry
  13. MrJengles

I've been seeing even more rocket launchers being used against infantry lately.

Fixes (do all 3):

• Minimum arming distance
    • Aiming down sights takes significantly longer
    • Slight delay before firing

The other balancing problem for both UBGLs and RLs is the fact they do NOT cost resources, whereas grenades do, so they're stuck with so many penalties to even out the spam. Make them scarce and then the stats can make more sense.
  14. Frosty The Pyro

my recent experience with rocket launcehrs is that they too reload slowly like underbarrels do.

also, and this is kinda important. the rocket launcher is a tool, a class feature, its built into the heavy. the grenade launcher is an attachment. If you had to give up your medigun or repair tool to get the grenade launcher, you would have a point, but you don't, you are giving up a laser or forward grip. Comparing the two is like complaining your beamer doesn't have the same effective range as the parallax.
  15. Stigma

No reason that they can't just make arming distance ignored by vehicles. Easily done by setting a couple different damage types ect. I absolutely wouldn't want the AV capabilities of the weapon to be negatively affected by this, because frankly rocketlaunchers aren't really more than just "adequate" at taking out armor. Wouldn't mind adding MAXes to that exception-list either, as you are far more likely to encounter a MAX at that range and MAXes are already pretty OP as-is and they don't need a big nerf to their most common counter.

That, or as I said, just nerfing direct impacts to leave a sliver of health on full-health infantry. I'm fine with the occasional rocket to the face - it just can't be a reliable way of one-shotting everything or otherwise it becomes plague of misuse that messes up the meta and breeds frustration. I have to admit that the arming distance thing probably "makes more sense", and it removes the ghetto-shotgun problem. While rocket-sniping is also a powerful strategy it isn't nearly as prevalent, and it has a fairly easy counter to it - ie. don't stand still :)

-Stigma
  16. Odin

Sadly it was only low br scrubs using the rockets as a primary for awhile now it seems even higher br players are using it. I haven't played in a few weeks cause of this rocket spamming no skill ******** and looks like I can start looking for another game as soe is apparently happy with no skill iwin shield rocket heavies running around one shotting everything.
    It would be one thing in a small game but when u have 100 people fighting in a area and half of them are losers toting rockets it makes the game lame.
    Gg soe make those noobies happy by letting them spam the noob tube all day and drive off everyone else.
  17. EvilKoala

Be careful what you wish for.. keep in mind the MCG just got "buffed"..