How to survive as Reaver?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kriegson, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Kriegson

I've gotten somewhat proficient with guns and manuvering, pulling off some nice acrobatics and everything. My plan was to get maxed racer and AB and fight a bit more WW2 in style, diving in to attack and pulling away for another strike rather than the hover-battle meta.

But With only racer 1 and AB tanks certed to level 4 or so, I can't get away from anyone, often get jumped by a few people, or get instagibbed in moments and even bursting off at full AB still die moments after the attack begins no matter what I do.

Running stealth and fire suppression.

I was thinking of saving 500 certs for tomcats and just giving in and going with the hover meta -_-
  2. M2_Bradley

WWII style...I think you mean "plane style"...
  3. Kriegson

Diving on someone from above, past and pulling an immelman to swoop back down on them again isn't something really necessary in the modern age, and certainly not in PS2 with VTOLs and no significant gain or loss of speed while diving/climbing.
    • Up x 1
  4. M2_Bradley

Modern Age:Target spotted 2,500 miles away.Locking on and firing A2A missile.
    Anyway...Why do aircraft propelled by jet engines only reach a speed of 200kmph...SOE u so silleh?If we could go like 800kmph then the above mentioned tactic(diving+immelman+boom) could become a viable one...If it takes a long time to slow down from those 800kmph to go into dogfight mode.That's how I feel at least.
  5. Kurohagane

If you do that, you might wanna get the Vortek. I'd argue it's the best rotary out of the three.

With that playstyle in mind you want to ambush people and get right up in their face. As a reaver, even without a hover frame you still have very considerable vthrust power. You will need to learn to lead people quickly and even if they're trying to hover away. If you are good enough, you will be able to get rid of them in one-two clips.

The thing to remember with this playstyle, is you are playing to outdamage them and kill them asap. So you fly up to them and unload everything, maybe do a dodge or something during the reload, but you still want to stay close, then spit more lead and finish the job. If you loose them and they end up reversing away into mid-range, you go after them and unload when you're close enough to accurately hit them with most of your mag.

Look at how rguitar does it, he has a youtube channel, i'd say he's the prime example of this kind of playstyle. Mostly. He does this a lot during duels, specifically.

Edit:

I guess it's still hovering in a way, but much less than the normal "plink wars" thing.
  6. IamnotAmazing

vortek rush win
  7. ZeroErrorz

get mustang so you can fire on the move effectively, go to the sky ceiling upside down,use thermal to scan,find a target dive behind him,when he try to do a hover to counter you,charge to close the distance on nose to nose range.
  8. minhalexus

Well do not use the vortek.
    You need 1700 certs for the 33 rounds magazine, and it still doesnt make you beast.

Much better if you stick to mustang.
  9. Pixelshader

It's just a matter of practice, playing the reaver with tanks + racer + vortek is completely doable. You will learn when you can and can't run away, and improve your listening and looking to avoid getting surprised, instead you will be the one doing the surprising.

In general don't fight any scythe that sees you coming, and don't run from a fight you start unless it's very obviously a situation you can and should run from, e.g. losing a fight vs a coyote user (who therefore has no tanks) who just reversed (will barely have enough left to accelerate to top speed) and you have lots of fuel. you can run in any direction you want and they probably won't kill you.

I say you shouldn't run from a fight you start because esf overall are just far slower than the bullets they shoot. If you picture the effective range of an esf as a sphere around it, once you get inside it it is hard to get back out even if you are in the fastest esf in the game and the enemy is in the slowest. In a WWII style fight the sphere is about a million times easier to enter and exit because of speeds 3x those esf travel at without an increase in bullet speed to match, and because WWII planes don't have magic afterburners that take them to top speed in a second.
  10. Pixelshader

I forgot to say, you should know hover fighting inside and out just because it's the core part of flying an esf. I think being able to get away with breaking the 'hover meta' is a result of mastering it. And, if I'm totally wrong about that you'll still have to hover to put down liberators anyway.
  11. \m/SLAYER\m/

the hardest part of survive damaged reaver - is landing.