Noob at max. Tricks?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Shinniok, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Shinniok

Hello forum users :) . Im a BR34 player, i've been playing PS2 for over a year (not continued, obviously) and i have pretty much always used Heavy Assault (i like the versatility, and it matches my playstyle). Sometime si pull a lightning, but that's pretty much the only vehicle i use. As you can see, i kind of stick to what i know! From time to time i play as infiltrator or light assault, but it's very situational. My k/d is almost 2, i kinda sucked at the beggining xD.

SO, that said, i recently convicned myself to spend 1k certs in a Blueshift for my Vanu MAX. Im actually running with blueshift and cosmos, and havent certed anything else for my max. Firsat of all: What should i cert first? the suit? Extended mags? I think charge can wait, and the other blueshift too (im planning on making a AI MAX).
    But most important, what are the tricks and perks of the class, specifically an AI MAX? Im really liking the class so far, and im hoping to get better at it ;D . Hope you guys can help me.
    Thanks in advance ;D, and sorry for my bad english, spanish user here.
  2. NoctD

The Cosmos is a waste of 250 certs that would have been better spent towards a 2nd Comet for AV usage. I run a Blueshift + default Quasar arm.

I'd suggest certing up Flak Armor first and 1-2 ranks of Charge upgrades. Kinetic armor is useful for AI but its Kinetic level 3+ when it really starts to shine, and costs more than Flak, plus you can be certain they'll come for you with C4 all the time. I'd probably add the Extended Mags for your Blueshift/other arm last, after you're done with at least Flak 4/Kinetic 3/Charge 3.

Don't count out Comets. They have their uses, and can be used against enemy MAX units pretty well.
  3. Shinniok

Oh, i didnt payed for the cosmos! Maybe im mistaking the names, but i had that weapon for free (you know, the little survey you take and the starter kit PS2 gives you?) . So no auto-repair for the suit?
  4. NoctD

Oh yeah I forgot about that - I guess you can use it - I've never tried it, I think the Quasar is a bit more accurate given the Cosmos changes some time back. Auto-repair is useful, I mainly use it for when there's no engineer around, so I can run back and put in on for some self repair, so I don't try to max it out so much.
  5. Akuzimo

The top thing you need to realize, is that you're not invincible.

Yeah, it looks that way and it feels that way, but you're not. While you do have 80% resist to bullet damage, you still get hurt and explosives laugh at that. If you're going to MAX, make sure you have either medics or engineers around (Engineers more than most because you run out of ammo quickly). You'll get rocketed, you'll get C4'd, hell, you might even get run over. The main trick is learning when to trust your gut and when to stay in cover so you don't get blown up. Most infantry run like hell when they see a MAX, though some ballsy ones will run up and knife you (which I've killed a few MAXes that way).

Basically, try to go dedicated something or other. Such as straight AA, AI, or AT. Only mix when necessary (Mixing AT and AI is good when fighting another MAX, though less effective against infantry which are far more numerous than MAXes). The main tip I can give you, is keep yourself alive. If that means hiding in a spawn room till you get healed, then so be it.
  6. BCKrogoth

As a disclaimer, I'm TR, so I'm not intimately familiar with the VS weapons.

Work on flak and kinetic armors, and switch depending on your intended targets. A point or 2 into auto repair is helpful if you find yourself without an engie, but you should avoid putting yourself into that situation.

Try to only pull if you have a pocket engie or there are enough around.

Charge is VERY powerful, especially in groups. If you're charging into battle, charge past the front line and hit them from the back, don't just stop.

You need to be aware of your surroundings, moreso than as a softie. Don't run into a fight alone, or put yourself in an easily flankable position.

Oh, and last but not least, get extended mags on your bursters ASAP. You will not regret it
    • Up x 2
  7. TeddyMan56

The suit slot is mostly personal preference so everyone has a different opinion on what to use, so in that case my opinion would be to cert into auto repair. It really comes in handy when you don't have an engiee around to fix you, most players say to avoid putting your self into those situations which is possible mos tof the time but unforenately battlefields can change drastically very quickly and in the heat of battle you can and will at times end up getting separated from your engiee's. Flak and kinetic armors are great to but they will not help you much if your damaged and find your self behind enemy lines, again this is my just my opinion. Try all 3 if you need to and see which one works best for you, they all have benefits and drawbacks to them.

Charge is a very useful ability and worth certing into, as mentioned above you can use it to charge past the front line and hit your enemy from the rear. It's also great for getting around during battles, a charging max is a lot harder to hit and it reduces the amount of time you expose your self to enemy fire if you move from cover to cover or if you need to cross an open stretch quickly so you don't get shot up, its also useful for retreating if you ever get surrounded or run into a tank it makes a great "get the hell out of there" button.

Best tips for a max user is to be aware of your surroundings and keep your self alive. You get good at this and you will cause lots of pain to your enemies and laugh as they struggle to kill you...

I'd wish I could have been more help with the VS weapons but I'm a TR person so that's not my area of expertise. So in conclusion I bid you a farewell and good luck with your Max.
  8. FishMcCool

Only ever played with the NC one, so i tend to have shorter range confrontations, but in case that helps...

- mentioned above: don't go thinking you're invincible. You will fall quick to small arms if 2/3 enemies start shooting at you rather than panicking, so unless you're in a coordinated MAX crash, don't overextend. Full Kinetic Armor will *double* your small-arms "health". If you can't afford it, first rank of NAR is cheap and a little convenience if you tend to lack engies.
    - Charge is very very useful to get in, to escape, or to cross exposed firing lanes. It's very cheap to cert up a few levels and you'll really enjoy having it available that more often. I can't tell you how much better i fare since i dropped the riot shield for that mobility...
    - personally, i do *much* better with two identical guns. Scatters for close range, Falcons at times for longer encounters. It helps me when i short reload to have the two guns reload on a same duration, and if one gun runs out before the other, i don't have to think which one it was in the heat of battle: i still function in the same way, just with a little less punch. If i mix up the guns and my scatter reloads, i'd have to avoid point-blank encounters in that time. It may seem irrelevant for better players, but as a non-pro MAX user, it helps me a lot.
  9. Shinniok

Thanks A LOT for ell the help, i really appreciate it ;D . Im really eager to have my max more certed, im having lots of fun using it ;D. I decided to cert kinetic first, and see how it works and i'll cert some levels of charge sooner because they seem cheap.
    Again, thx a lot guys, you're awesome!
  10. Souleater

I have four loadouts for my VS MAX.

In order that I use them:

Anti-Tank: Comets, Flak Armour and Charge. Get used to playing peek-a-boo with enemy armour. For VS we can fight at medium range with these and getting the second one isn't too costly (250Certs IIRC)

Anti-Air: Bursters, Charge, Flak. With just one Burster you are little more than an irritant on your own. To drive off enemy air you need to buy the second Burster. If you are likely to start another toon at any point wait until it is on Sale and then get it with SC. Once you've done that at least one gun needs extended mags.

Without that first extended magazine the aircraft can often turn tail and run while you are reloading. Ideally, you want extended mags on both Bursters.

If you are fighting aircraft you need to be very canny - particularly in situations where two or three guys are Air Farming a small base with just a few of you.

Similar to fighting tanks, really. Try to keep in cover. Take a couple of shots from one place then de-camp and pop out elsewhere, hit and run.

I don't try to out DPS Libs or ESFs becuase they tend to kill me. You need to wait until they get close, put some rounds into them - KEEP MOVING WHILE YOU DO THIS - then duck out of sight. Hide under platforms. Use base teleporters to literally pop up behind them. Scout Radar will make this more difficult but if you sit still out in the open the aircraft or one of their mates will easily nail you.

Flak protects you against bursts but not direct hits.

Indoors/Outdoors: Two loadouts. The Outdoors one uses Blueshifts as they are more accurate at range. The Indoors one uses Nebulas as they are a bit beefier in close quarters. Both tend to use Kinetic Armour and Charge. You can soak more damage and run away if need be.

Starting off you get one AI gun at least...I think you may have another from the test? If so, stick with them while you cert everything else out (AAA, AT, suit slots) then come back to them.

Try to hit the enemy in the head if you can and avoid doing what I do when I get carried away and start spraying the walls at random. :oops:

The main point has been covered but bears reiterating: You are not invincible. Tank rounds, C4, LOLPods, HAs with RLs and simple weight of fire can all leave you flat out on the floor.

Be very wary of classes that can carry C4 - in other words everybody except INFs and other MAXes! They will try to lure you around corners and blow you to bits. Let some PBI go first.

Grenades can be an issue. If you see a grenade indicator next to you it might be wise to move. If could just be a Frag grenade...or it could be an Anti-Vehicle grenade which will do you a lot of damage.

As a MAX you are a big, lumbering target that folks prioritize. So it is important to try and keep moving any time there might be an enemy nearby.

A note on engineers. Love and protect them. They will repair you and give you ammo. Don't expect to be repaired if you are running pell-mell towards the horizon. Most will 'Q' and offer you a repair so listen out for that.

Secondly, protect them. If need be put your suit between them and bullets (not C4 or Rockets). Keep them alive so that they can keep you alive in return.

Try to stagger your re-loads. Some weapons take an age to reload and you are very vulnerable at that point. So sometimes it is better to finish off one gun's ammo but keep rounds in the other one so that you can threaten anybody that tries to rush you.

Better yet is to learn when you can reload. Try to keep your guns topped off whenever you can but just be aware you will often take both of your guns out of action by doing so.

You also have your MAX Punch. I suck with this. While it is slow it hits hard and I've killed enemy HAs who thing they can blithely reload their RLs while standing next to me while I reload.

May Vanu watch over you!
    • Up x 1
  11. CompletelyDeadCoyote

It doesn't rely matter
    What does MAX hold hands
    If he has pocket engi
    And certed charge in pants.

:D
  12. Govedo13

Cert the auto-repair first. Never use Kinetic without organised play and dedicated engineer is assigned to you, unlock first your second buster then max flak armour, versus tanks you just need to be sneaky and attack from cover, you need more flak armour versus flyers because you have less options to hide from them.
    I opposing to the masses prefer to use my MAX a bit differently. I avoid direct big clashes and I tend to flank and attack from behind so for my playstyle auto-repair is must. I used to have high ZOE level but since ZOE is useless now I use uncerted charge ability for running out of bad situations.
    About guns it really depends- blueshifts for outside fights are really good but they are damn too expensive and uneffecitve at closer range unless you cert both of them with additional ammo, also they does not deliver much damage.Blueshifts reward accuracy but would fail you versus 4-5 infantry at close range because you would need to reload and die in the process. Also I tend not to stick outside unless I am running AV or AA loadout. C4, rocket launchers, air,armour, 3+ infantry or the combo of them would kill you really fast unless you counter them with your own swarm of troops, but as I said I does not use the suit to brawl with it but to sneak at strategic choke points inside buildings and remove as much infantry as possible.

Blueshift
    0% miss________<1% miss_______<1% miss_______12.63% miss
    5.65 TTK_______5.79 TTK_______6.55 TTK_______11.88 TTK
    1,769.91 DPS___1,727.11 DPS___1,526.71 DPS___841.75 DPS

Nebulas are useless anywhere except Biolab because the terrible accuracy, their addon damage up close does not matter much because your time to kill vs infantry is really short so the few fragments of second better TTK does not count at all, even latency can matter more:
    Nebula
    0% miss________<1% miss______35.36% miss____54.43% miss
    4.85 TTK_______4.92 TTK_______9.82 TTK_______14.71 TTK
    2,061.85 DPS___2,032.52 DPS___1,018.32 DPS___679.8 DPS

Cosmos
    0% miss________<1% miss_______39.2% miss_____53.98% miss
    5.25 TTK_______5.28 TTK_______8.96 TTK_______12.11 TTK
    1,904.76 DPS___1,893.93 DPS___1,116.07 DPS___825.76 DPS

I does not know why the people does not like the Cosmos- dual Cosmos MAX is cheap to cert and perfect all-rounder so unless you have 2x Blueshift with ammo cert and 2x Nebula and terminal to switch them constantly depending on the situation you can safe yourself a lot of SC or around 3500 certs to cert your Suit Slots and get 2x Cosmos.
  13. BCKrogoth

Sorry I didn't follow up with this thread: don't bother wasting too many certs in charge, if you do it right you'll either A) not live long enough for it to charge back up anyway (being the frontline bulletshield is just as important as the slaughterer) or B) your MAX crash will have been successful and you won't need the charge any faster. I've never put certs into mine and I seem to get along just fine
  14. M4L4CH1TE

Dual Cosmos rock just fine and mow down infantry like wheat.
    Dual comets can take out infantry or armor at any range. But the aren't as good in CQC.
    MAX punch is great. Don't forget to use it.
    You don't need a lot of charge but you do need at least one level. Seriously, you'll use it.
    Never be the first through the door in a MAX crash, but once you're in sprint don't stop & fight.
  15. NCstandsforNukaCola

Watch out for doorways and corners
    Seasoned HA and Medics awaits you with a brick of c4

What about light assaults? Be always cautious
    Even though MAX has the most hp, it requires situational awareness
    Standing in front line is good but sometimes flanking with a single MAX ia so sweet
  16. Llaf

I've got a hefty amount of certs invested in both TR and NC MAXes. Here are some things I've learned.

Read my words: FLAK - ARMOR, I'll say it again, FLAK - ARMOR

Kinetic is good against other MAXes, otherwise, FLAK - ARMOR!!!!!!!!

Stay away from any MAX with an AV weapon equipped

Try not to let anyone get in your face, MAXes are affected by headshot multipliers the same as everyone else

If you see two heavies with rocket launchers out looking your way, MOVE, one direct rocket hit removes half health, Flak Armor does nothing about this, neither does Kinetic Armor

Buildings, specifically, their interiors are your best friend, do not run around outside too long without support

Always look up, even with max Flak Armor, you still want to avoid the C4 fairies if you can, 1 brick with max rank Flak Armor will hit you for about the same damage as a direct rocket hit.

Sprinting everywhere is a good way to get insta-gibbed, when moving around a high traffic battlefield, walk, you can engage targets instantly this way and avoid being blown up.

Avoid standing in doorways or windows, stand back roughly 5-10 meters as a general rule, C4 can be thrown a good distance when done correctly

In an especially chaotic environment such as a Biolab, where MAXes love to lurk, the Charge ability will serve you well when you need to avoid a bad situation thats bound to happen in such a place.

A perfect example of such a situation is a Concussion Grenade, heavies who are MAX hunting will often Concussion Grenade their victim before blasting them with high damage weaponry such as the NS Decimator, automatic shotguns, the Commissioner, C4, etc. Provided you aren't looking at a wall when the nade hits you, charge will generally get you out of this situation.

Do not waste ammo attacking an NC MAXes Aegis Shield, that's exactly what he wants, if you see an NC MAX standing around with his shield up, ignore him, if he puts it down, he is about to attack and you should probably back off if he is close. I do this in my NC MAX and when another MAX gets close enough I go straight for the head, doesn't always guarantee a kill, but will usually put that enemy MAX out of action for a while.

There are going to be times where you are standing around doing nothing because you need repairs. Random engineers don't always repair. As a rule of thumb, once you hit half health, seek repairs, half health puts you in danger of being one-shotted.

Do not run while being repaired, and guard the engineer as best you can.

MAXes take a long time to be revived, if you died in an area that is being heavily bombarded or swarming with enemies, don't expect to be revived, but always wait and see.

That's all I can think of for now, hope this helps.
    • Up x 1
  17. Chris Bingley

Back in the day I had reasonable success running cosmos + quasar for AI duties, and dual comets are pretty decent.

I actually run a similar setup on my TR MAX, Cycler and Mutilator. Due to the difference in magazine size it allows you to maintain constant fire (if necessary) as the reloads will be staggered.

Other than that, take flak armour. I would suggest NAR but you're not NC so your engineers will repair you. You'll be mostly taking explosive damage as people try to rocket/c4/grenade you. Very rarely will you die to small arms fire, and that will generally be from pushing too far ahead of your mates.

Don't bother with Ammo Cannisters, like with small arms fire you shouldn't be getting into situations where you need more ammo. ZOE is useless due to the nerfs so stick with charge.

Makes sure you pour as many certs as you can afford into your cooldown timer.

Make sure you have extended mags on your bursters, don't bother with them for your AI weapons.
  18. DxAdder

Beware of HA's with Rocket launchers and LA's with C4.
  19. reydelchicken

Playing as a MAX basically comes down to:
    1. Look for the neareast group of enemies.
    2. Press F to charge into them.
    3. Look at them and hold down your mouse button.
    4. Go back to engineers to repair.
    5. Repeat.
    If you want something more fun to do in a MAX, then get yourself 250 cert AV weapons.
    And get yourself another burster.
    Use your max to fight off tanks, sunderers and aircraft.
  20. YoXn

Okay, I can help you out. I am one of the dedicated max players for Future Crew, so why not pass on some max knowledge.

-- What to buy --
    1. Dual Blueshifts or Dual Nebulas. Blueshifts are more accurate, and Nebulas kill faster but less accurate.

2. Max out Kinetic 1st, even before extended magazines. After that, work on Charge and last work on your gun.

3. After all of that. Then buy Comets or Bursters.

-- How to Play as AI --
    1. Always be in the front and push yourself into the enemies. This usually causes enemies to scatter instead of fight back. However know your limits. Running into 40 guys by yourself is suicide, but running into 4-6 guys is fine. Also never, never use charge as a initiation. The only time you do this is when you have other maxes ready to do it with you. You want to save charge as an escape.

2. Always aim for the heavies first. Some may say that Medics and LA's are more of a threat and they very well are right. However, if you position yourself correctly. It would require a medic or LA to charge you, and only then would you target them down. Most cases Medics and LA's will run away. Heavies on the other hand will not, and will try to rocket primary you. They also have access to concussions which can end your run right there and now. So Heaves before anything else.

3. If a medic or LA runs away, and enters a doorway. DO NOT CHASE. Most of the time C4 will be set and ready for you. So do not fall for this simple trick.

-- How to Fight other Maxes as AI --
    1. When you enter a room with a max and infantry inside. Don't waste your time on the max, instead take out the infantry. Killing off his members will do more for you then trying to take out the max. Plus, your team-mates have better tools in dealing with maxes then you do.

2. Key to beating a TR AI max is aiming at the head. Same could be said for infantry, but I find it way more important in Max vs Max fights. Seeing as it is a DPS race, and you want to maximise your DPS. While aiming at the head, include jumping and crouching to make it harder for the other max to land in headshots.

3. Key to beating a NC AI Max is building distance. Distance is a must here, even a very insignificant amount of distance can be the difference between living and dying. You will also need to incorporate headshots, but you will not need to include jumping or crouching. Sometimes using charge to create distance is smart. Being as you have a chance for the enemy max to not have charge ready. This will guarantee a win against an NC max.

4. Avoid Anti-armor Maxes. You will always lose no matter how hard you try.

There is probably more I could include. But that's the stuff that popped in my head. Hopefully it helps you! :D
    • Up x 1