New knives removed from PTS

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by TheKhopesh, Apr 15, 2014.

1. TheKhopesh

Pretty self explanatory.

Anyone know why this happened?
    I didn't see any posts from SOE as to why.
  2. Tommyp2006

Probably another fully functional feature that's "not ready yet"
    • Up x 1
  3. Xebov

The new knifes where meant to go live with the knife changes, as this would allow to get your knife out. Since this changes where delayed there is no reason to release the new knifes yet.
  4. doombro

Huh. I still see them.
  5. TorigomaSET

Wait, are you talknig aboit NEW New Knives? or the equipable Knife? if the former, when did I miss this?!
  6. Elrobochanco

There was a second one for each faction, but they were removed for now along with the equip the knife functionality. Probably be coming back in the next few weeks since TRay still mentioned player studio knives as upcoming in his stream.
  7. M4L4CH1TE

Maybe SOE listened when people complained that SOE was basically replacing their current knives with inferior knives so SOE could sell you back your originall knife at 700 SC
  8. TheKhopesh

I just mean the alternate weapon, not the new mechanics.

Some of us are nearing (or already have) Auraxium with the starter knife, and are looking forward to the next option.
    :D
  9. Wobberjockey

acording to radarX it's because they wanted to make the system " more awesome"

i have a feeling that that has to do with a suggestion that was offered in the PTS regarding the fire selector working on the knife, but it didn't really do anything at the time

in other words. you could quick knife, or pull your knife and wield it reverse grip, or normal grip.

with the quick knife being weak, the reverse being fast yet moderately damaging, and the normal grip being slower, but very damaging.
  10. TheKhopesh

Huh.

Personally, I don't really care much about that.

I'm about a day or two from getting auraxium on my Mag Cutter, and just wanted to have something that I could switch to after that.

I was simply looking forward to having a reskin of the knives.
    Guess that won't happen for a while longer though.
    :(
  11. RadarX

The equipable knives are being reworked and will be made available at a later date.
    • Up x 2
  12. Wayfar

Which is something that happens sometimes guys. They put stuff in for some testing then pull them back to tweak. So nothing to worry about. :)
    • Up x 1
  13. TheKhopesh

Thank you Radar, however: (TL;DR in greentext.)

I was asking about the knife reskins, not the knife equip mechanic.
    Why not release the reskins, as they are identical in functionality and there is only one knife option per faction currently available?

Even if the knives alone were released next patch, all it would do would be allow those who have Auraxium on the current knife to work on their faction's new reskin.

I've personally gotten into using the stalker cloak with knife/commissioner combo, and I'm rapidly approaching Auraxium with it (90 some kills to go. :D)

I know there are others out there who have been asking for over a year about the introduction of knife reskins for this same reason.
  14. MrJengles

Will there be a downside to using quick-knife vs equip?

Equipped should hit the fastest because you're already holding the knife.
  15. TheKhopesh

I used the new equip mechanic when it was still available for use.

It's a good deal faster, yes.
    The downsides are that:
    You only do 500 dmg per swing, not 625.
    And that it takes longer to swap to something else as far as weapons.
  16. Runegrace

You would assume that the new knives are not simply re-skins. They may have some ideas with having them handle a bit differently. Since they can be wielded and have the option of alternate fire modes or a functionality with right-mouse, there's some room to get creative with these.

-A weapon may deal more damage but have longer recovery time between swings
    -A weapon may offer an AoE effect, like an EMP blast hammer or such.
    -A weapon may even be able to deal damage to vehicles, or at least offer better MAX damage.
    -Alternate fire may 'power-up' the weapon. For example, the TR's Chainblade may rev and deal more damage, but give a whirring audio cue to give away the user while 'on'.
    -Right mouse could activate a block/shield with the weapon. This could make the use immune to melee damage, have a % chance to block a bullet, simply negate X% damage from source Y, bounce objects like grenades, etc.
    -Right mouse might even throw the weapon. Throwing knife that deals more damage? Delayed or activated explosion? Radar device?

I have no issues with some re-skins, either. Give some cool customization and opens up the Player Studio to some fun. I do hope we end up with some Empire-Specific goodness as well, though.