Enough whining: Here are the SERIOUS issues that need to be brought up

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Raka Maru

No, we didn't get a real sequel to PS1, that's the main thing. PS1 had balance issues, but they completely threw out everything and started with their own rules and didn't even consult or listen to old PS1 devs that could have explained to them why PS1 was so great. The rules, the inventory system, the lack of classes, the lattice, LLU, ANTS, cloaked sudies, mine fields, turret fields, continent locks.

I expected things to get better as development continued, but it hasn't. This is now a big playground where I redeploy after a base is capped and wait for a sundie to park near the next target. Get killed regularly by vehicles that can see me cloaked because of OP radar.

PS1 did a lot of things right, too bad the graphics aged. If we had that system with new graphics, I would already be there, and I think even the COD people would find it just as interesting.
    • Up x 2
  2. Camycamera

no, it would murder indarside and force people to fight on other continents.
  3. Modern Ancestor

Does this mean that camos wont save the game??:eek:
  4. Donaldson Jones

People fought on other continents all the time during WDS. Because each of the three had 1 empire specific zerg.
    • Up x 1
  5. UberBonisseur

This really needs to gain attention.

Sorry if the thread title is ****.
  6. Camycamera

WDS 2 at first made people zerg ghost cap for a different reason, because it rewarded attacking way more than defending, and thus people ghost capped.

all continent locking will do is kick people out of indarside once it is capped by an empire and force them to fight on another continent, and the pop will move to that continent.
  7. Kaktwox

SOE is too busy creating brand new camos and other really important stuff for the game. They have no time to waste on such mundane things as balance Planetside 2.

FTFY
  8. Apples

Honestly I would prefer a different style of locking, just flat out have a three day repeating schedule where every 4 hours a different continent goes into lockdown, each day has a different lineup so that players don't get locked out of ever playing a continent due to the schedule by which their life runs. As alerts are usually 30 minutes to 2 hours they should simply be lined up to the locks so there's no conflict and tadah, pops are condensed and it doesn't just end up being an all day every day F fest on the fourth continent.
  9. Ash87

And most importantly, Carthage must be destroyed

On topic: Yeah, I'm calling that both of these get pushed back again.

Moreover, phase 2 of the resource revamp, IE: the phase of the resource revamp absolutely everyone commenting on the Resource revamp thread is actually asking about/want, yeah, that is probably going to be released sometime around never.
  10. Cl1mh4224rd

This is incorrect. Merely resupplying a neutral base with your own ANT was not enough to capture it; you still had to hack the CC and wait for that to go through.
  11. Morchai

Or simply log off until Indar is open again. I really don't like the idea of continent locking, especially if it means having to play on Esimir or something.

Oh, and what exactly does WDS stand for?
  12. Raka Maru

In PS1, I used to log in and ask "Where's the Fight?", then take a HART to that continent.
  13. Crashsplash

World Domination Series.
  14. iller

Y'know how in the hipster wannabe-designer circles there's that "Depth versus Complexity" oversimplification?

I think that actually applies here which is the first warning sign that this is starting off in the wrong direction and it's explicitly designed from the unapproachable end. What it SHOULD be telling your average joe is: "Okay so you're an engineer or you like pulling MAXes: this is what you'll be doing differently now or this is how it will affect you", or "You're an infiltrator, well here's how you'll be having more effects on the fights around you with this overhaul". Oh and here's the improved REWARDS you'll get. In other words: it seems to be starting off like a weaker more pointless version of the PS1 model which is both needlessly Complex, and probably intentionally Murky.

It's murky to seem "Hardcore". Just like a lot of the intricacies with Guns in this game. The average player can barely even read the Range falloff graphs in this game, much less figure out which guns are worth buying just by trying to read all those other numbers that aren't even damage values. Then they get beat left and right by some lag-switching cheesers with .75 ADS 800rpm laser cannon SMGs or whatever and all they don't even know why.... There's no real transparency in the system. It's designed from the very beginning to EXCLUDE your average player from discussions and basic input. It's like PS's version of an Auction house for Price-Flippers copy pasted from every other MMORPG that thought it needed a complicated way for a couple of XLS SpreadSheet Barons to exert their neckbearded overcompensating in new and punitive ways over all the quaint Peasantry who eventually leave in droves when the next MMO comes out.

And they don't leave b/c the next MMO is "shinier" or better. They leave because that next MMO has no concrete CAST system....yet. They leave to it b/c it has some shred still left in it of a wild frontier or the American dream of being able to carve out a respectable niche for oneself before everything becomes rote, rigged, and monopolized.
    • Up x 2
  15. Tuco

caste

People get bored of the grind, or want to bring that old MMORPG magic back like from UO or early SWG, and jump from MMORPG to MMORPG thinking "this time it won't be a wow-clone". This just makes them more ravenous cause each successive MMORPG is more a themepark than wow ever was.

Wishful thinking.
  16. z1967

This is my new favorite post. Possibly because it mentioned neckbeards but that is irrelevant.
  17. Lucidius134

Honestly, this quote alone reminded me of what I said in beta and can still be said. I've just been so accustomed to the way things work that I forgot that most of the infantry aspects are taken right from Battlefield Bad Company 2 and that with the release of BF3 and now BF4 (with hindsight) is getting left in the damned dust.

Look at classic indar. Same 7 buildings copy and pasted into different orders with some different enviromental bits like walls and such. BC2 level design.

Now with the recent revamps to Amerish and Esamir (that took VERY long) the base designs are starting to look a bit more like an actual base with unique ordering of props and such much more akin to bf3.

My point is, it's struggling hard to keep up and not advancing much.

I have love love for the PS2 Devs (most of them :p) but as a gamer when I look at stuff like the suit slot system and see that everything is word for word mechanic for mechanic the exact same as another similar game it's hard to not go "Man, this is some freakish frankenstiein of different (now) outdated game mechanics" when you just come into the game.
  18. Camycamera

so you would rather play on the same continent over and over and over and over like now? and continent locking is like lattice, except on a larger scale.

trust me, you will like it. indarside is boring, i have yet to fight on many of the new bases on the other continents because of indarside.

and WDS stands for world domination series.
  19. UberBonisseur

And yet again there's DotA and DayZ and WoW which are obfusciatingly complex, that just rake up players, even though you can't play them without looking extensively at the wiki and guides.

Complexity never was the problem; it's accessibility.
    Over time you can throw more and more weapons or spells or enemies or whatever. You're supposed to spend lots and lots of hours playing, you've got time looking for other weapons and trying them out.

The only barrier of entry is not overwhelming the player.
    SURPRISE, PS1 ACTUALLY HAD A DECENT TUTORIAL ABOUT PRETTY MUCH EVERY SINGLE GUN THAT AWARDED XP
  20. iller

DOTA's the only one there that's actually complex (DayZ COULD have been, if it had more doors that actually opened).
    But it's still not as complex as HON so it was allowed to catch on through Steam & UTube Chavs being it's only real promoting forces.

I don't think the problem with their roll-out on this is that it's overwhelming to the player. The problem is it's just exceedingly boring and unrelatable to them. There's nothing in it that screams "You can be a difference maker now!". ... or "You'll get more Certs for fighting the good fight!". It's just a total disconnect like most of their updates have been. The last update that actually resonated with most of their players, was the Optimization patch which has all but Backslid entirely in less than half a year if you note how many people are reporting Tech/Stability issues now.