Make TR Cougar A Pulsar C Alternative, Not A Razor Alternative

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by NoctD, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Maljas23

But my point was that reload speed is NOT insignificant, as you said. I only used SAW as an example to try and convince you otherwise.

It doesn't matter if the situation you are in is forced or not. If you are alive, and are using the SAW, reload speed matters. If it didn't, why would reload speed exist as a stat in the first place? Shouldn't all weapons have the same reload speed if its so insignificant?
  2. Nocturn0l

Well i can understand the TR: NC and VS are getting some pretty unique new carbines, arguably, the new Lynx will also be quite unique, but the Cougar feels a bit too much like a clone, nothing to be really excited about.

I really wouldn't mind buffing the RoF to 577, leaving the rest untouched, it would be a reasonable mix between the Mercenary and the Razor. That does make the Cougar more similar to the Pulsar but it also fits better into the medium to long range instead of ultimate long range category.
    • Up x 1
  3. minhalexus

My point was that reload speed does not affect long range weapons as much as it affects shorter ranged weapons.
    Take Gauss SAW and Sniper rifles for example.

On long range weapons reload speed is a pretty useless stat, unless its EXTREMELY long as in higher than the Gauss Saw.
    And for shorter range weapons, MV does not matter as much as it matters on long range weapons.

Slightly increasing the reload speed for the Cougar for a higher RoF, is an unfair trade since reload speed is not what matters at long range. ( dont go to an extreme extents like no reloads or un-ending reloads)

As i said if the RoF is improved it will need:-

1) Less magazine size (as much as pulsar)
    OR
    2) More recoil (as much as pulsar)

They can give it 20MV since i dont see it as OP, and its what matters on long ranged weapons.
  4. JesusVoxel

I think pretty big majority of TR will be more than happy to have cougar 2.0.
    • Up x 1
  5. CMDante

I still say it needs a slight buff to muzzle velocity or RoF to really come into its own. 35 rounds per mag is low for a TR gun but it can be forgiven if we get some goodies for it. As someone said the Cougar gives up all of its versatility to be good at range, which is something the Razor does not have to suffer through with the superior hipfire and reload times. A higher RoF will let the Cougar see some more use and not just be a 1:1 clone of the Razor.
    • Up x 2
  6. Epic High Five

I really wish they'd speak up.

Gift horse mouth looking is a TR faction trait though, you couldn't ask them to not do that.

I use the SAW in CQC to this day, and it's actually my preferred close range gun on my HA. There's a lot you can do with 20,000 damage magazines. Clear out whole rooms with it+4 AV grenades, for example. None of that sissy reloading crap like lesser guns have to do.
    • Up x 2
  7. Maljas23

Yes this is exactly what I saw going for. Its is then a TR flavored mid-long range carbine.

If there must be compensation, increase the reload time since longer reload times tend to be a TR trait anyway. To be fair, the current Cougar's reload time is faster than most of the TR's arsenal already. That is why I feel a bump up to 577 RPM and an average increase to reload time would be more than enough TR flavoring.
    • Up x 1
  8. Maljas23

You gotta reload sometime :p
  9. Epic High Five

Oh yeah, I do

Whenever I pass by an infantry terminal :cool:

But seriously the short reload isn't THAT tough to work around considering the stupendous amount of killing power you're given. That said, DO NOT HIT THE LONG RELOAD. I wouldn't recommend this to people who don't obsessively ADS though. While the SAW can hipfire reliably in knifing distance, any more than that and you're asking for trouble. ADS though, and you can blow people up instantly

Also helps to treat your Magshot like a mini-SAW, or in my case, the Rebel like a mini-Warden
    • Up x 1
  10. minhalexus

MV should be buffed - Agreed
    RoF - No

Already stated 'why' twice.

Dude, hipfire is not even a significant thing in a long ranged environment.
    They can buff it, no arguments but RoF should not be improved.
    RoF is too much of an upgrade.

Increased reloads does not feel like a major downside to a weapon that is specifically designed to be a long ranged weapon. Hipfire feels even lesser of a downside.
    Besides the DPM of this gun is higher than average TR carbines.

Hipfire can be improved since i feel its pretty insignificant, at least the TR can stop ranting about it if its buffed.
    MV should be increased by 20.
  11. Maljas23

So it is even more like the Razor than it already is? No thanks.

TR having a higher RoF weapon makes plenty of sense.. considering its our faction trait. I don't know why people support all factions having almost the exact same weaponry.

You keep calling reloads not important for longer ranged weapons, but this just isn't true at all. In fact, I have no idea how you can simply dismiss the reload stat in the first place, unless you only play VS? You keep preaching that reload speed isn't important but I bet most would disagree with you.

Why is having at it 577 RoF such a big problem? It fits the faction, and it helps set it apart from the Razor, from which it was cloned from. We have a LMG that has a 577 RoF as well as the exact same dmg tier.
    • Up x 2
  12. CMDante

Maljas is right here, we don't need an identical weapon, we need one that serves the same function but slightly differently. Buff the RoF to 577 or so would be a perfect way to make the Cougar more of a TR gun than just a Razor clone, it will serve the added function of giving it a semblance of versatility. In the same way that the Razor's superior hipfire and quicker reloads help it. Are hipfire, RoF or reloads super important to long range weapons? No but it does help the weapons be more useful over all.
    • Up x 2
  13. minhalexus

Recoil increased to match the Pulsar, and I'm fine with it.
    Increase MV by 20.
  14. Outreach

yeah sure they can have a pulsar c clone, right after we get a sabr 13 clone.
  15. Phos!

Would you like a MCG as well?

Let's be honest, asking for a Pulsar C clone sharpshooter carbine is basically asking for a mercenary with an advanced foregrip and 1.5 FSM.

But a SABR 13 clone is a good idea, such a good idea I think the Cougar should be one. Beats spending 1000 certs on a bad razor.
  16. foesjoe

ROF doesn't really matter for the Cougar's intended role. You'll be firing in bursts anyway.

I still wouldn't say no to an increase in muzzle velocity or rate of fire.
  17. Epic High Five

^ ^ ^ ^ This guy gets it.

I don't think anyone is here to say 577rpm would be OP, but rather that ROF increases are anathema to long range guns. What's the realistic ROF on a SABR? How well does it to at range?

The Pulsar C has a higher ROF, but it also has more kick, class-worst recoil recovery, and worse muzzle velocity than the Razor to balance it out. It's not a bad gun to be sure, but a TR Pulsar C would be in strong competition with the Jaguar for effective range. The Cougar 2.0, however, blows everything else out of the water for ranged combat.

It cannot do this AND have great hipfire AND have bigger mags AND have a higher ROF though. It's a great gun that's going to work extremely well for you.

That said, an increase in muzzle velocity is entirely justified. I personally don't think 20m/s is noticable at these speeds, but I cannot think of a reason why it should be in the first place
    • Up x 2
  18. Phos!

Pulsar C has lower horizontal recoil than the razor. More vertical recoil, but that never seemed like a big deal to me.