Launcher battle: SOE vs Steam

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by cannotthinkofaname, Apr 10, 2014.

1. cannotthinkofaname

Yesterday evening after hours of playing i couldnt load into the game anymore as it was stuck at 96% when trying to spawn at a specific position. I did what i usually do when a game stops working for me, i go into steam and verify the games files. Apparently 300 files were missing and i had to download about 9gb. Its painful with my 1.5mb line but what the hell..

After that was done i try to play the game and now the soe launcher tells me 300 files are corrupt or missing and has to download about 9gb. I was not amused. So despite me being less than handy with pcs, i figured it was a mistake to use steam to verify the files int he first place. It is however an option that has helped me out in other games before and im sure i wont be the only one who will make that mistake.

Probably a good idea to either warn people about this, or sort out whatever is the cause with steam.
  2. gobbybobby

SOE have already said DO NOT verify your game files with steam, its a sticky on the technical part of the forum

Steam has an OLDER copy of PS2, as the Steam copy is not updated that often. So when you verify with steam, Steam checks your copy against the older copy it has and goes, ooh thats not right, delete, redownload. Then the SOE launcher goes, hmm this is an older version, this isn't right, redownload. SO you end up wasting 10+ gigs of bandwidth!

edit, I tried to find the stuck thread, but couldn't guess they have removed it
  3. TheAppl3

Why is that post not stickied...

Never use the Steam validation feature. The launcher has one built into it - use that.