Switching Teams on Live Server should = 0 resources.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by user101, Apr 6, 2014.

1. user101

TR / NC / VS players have been resorting to switching team factions when running out of resources. In the fairness of play.
    And I know most will not like this. If you switch team factions you should start out with ZERO resources in all sections of all categories. This would not apply when just logging in. This would only apply for 2 hours, the time for an alert.

Cash for weapons - points = 0
    Vehicles points = 0
    Aircraft points = 0

This would only apply for people that switch team factions to gain resources, if you stay on the same team faction then you loose nothing. If you switch team factions then you start from ZERO and build up points to use. You would also loose all acquired C-4 and grenades and tank mines. Things you buy with station cash you keep.
    • Up x 2
  2. nubery

Yes. Death to fourth faction.
  3. MasonSTL

devils advocate: What if I'm playing on my NC character then my buddy hops in game and asks me if I want to play on TR with him? Why should I be penalized for that?
    • Up x 5
  4. Elrobochanco

Shouldn't this be in the suggestions forum?

Or is this currently a thing that is on test?
    • Up x 1
  5. ajma

Create new account.
  6. Alarox

It was already confirmed by the developers that the number of people who log off one character and switch to another on a daily basis is about 1% of the population.

All of this is in your imagination.
    • Up x 8
  7. user101

Well it may be 1% on some servers but on waterson server it seems like a lot more than 1%. And I did think about putting this in the standard forum. But since the test server is being update for game play at this time and missions I felt that I should give it a try here. If it was just one squad or a couple people doing this I would not bother.

But this now seems to be the standard thing to do when you run out of your own resources. When you can't hack PS2 anymore then they resort to changing factions to gain resources. The forth faction needs to be put into the game play as some type of loss when you do this.

For those that have friends that play on other factions. Maybe we could have the just log in 15 min make up your mind rule if there is no alert. We could also make it that you can't pull resources for the first 5 minutes ... that would stop a lot of this.
  8. eatcow0

Going so far as removing all the consumables they took hours storing up is ridiculously ********. Might as well get rid of their certs while we are at it. There are people who have main accounts for different factions.

Most people I know just warp to a continent with more resources then warp back instead of logging into other chars.
  9. RealityWarrior

I log in to all 3 characters every day to get the free certs.

I only play one though.

This is a terrible idea. You are trying to use C4 to kill a house fly. Over kill, too much collateral damage and most likely no effect on you actual target.
    • Up x 1
  10. Klypto

You do not gain resources when you are not logged into a character, but maybe I don't understand what you are going at.

Also, only 1% of players switch factions during an alert. Population changes happen because people log off at a faster rate on the loosing side than the winning side.

I have a large number of waterson's players on my friends list. I see when people log off and log on and none of it makes me believe they are people switching accounts. When a faction looses a big fight, a chunk of players from that faction logs off within the next 5 minutes, sometimes as much as 50+ players will log off.

At first I though people we mass crashing or the server was having issues, but then I noticed they didn't log back on so then I thought they switched factions. But again, the slow trickle rate of which players logging on between the three factions doesn't change or correlate at all to other people logging off. It took me a while to notice that after a major fight it would happen.

The reason why there ends up with a population imbalance is the lack of player retention in a loosing fight. People get frustrated and leave causing it to snowball while the other team is having fun so they stay on longer. When your log off rate of players starts to close the gap with the rate of log ons for your faction, your pop is going to seem much worse than the other factions even though it is still rising, just at a slower rate than the other factions.

Of course, once an alert ends then everyone logs off en-mass making it impossible for me to read text chat :/.
    • Up x 4
  11. NoctD

This. But what running out of resources means is that you have to switch continents to one where your side has more resources. Which brings up the question - as much as people say it might limit vehicle spam, etc, having resources ultimately limits what a player can do, and when they run out, some will just wait around and become very unproductive.

As much as I welcome the resource revamp, done incorrectly, this could turn out to be another blow to the knee for the game, which will just drive more people away to log out in frustration. A side that has lesser pop has trouble keeping territories, meaning resources will be scarcer, meaning, you might just get people logging off in frustration, only making the problem of under pop factions even worse.

They'll have to ensure that an under pop faction doesn't ever get too resource constrained... its better to make the faction that has too much pop have to be more careful of how they spend/use their resources. Be it some bonus/penalty system based on pop, this will be vital once the resource revamp comes our way.
  12. Klypto

But in the new system, it will be entirely localized. Meaning your resource gain is dependant entirely on the base you are currently at. Warpgate will always give you 100%. Low power bases will give you less resources.

Players will have to drive ANT sunderers to replenish power at the base.

The only thing they will have to fix is getting resources when waiting at the warpgate. It's very annoying to be talking to people or just running around the warpgate or waiting for the platoon to take off and be getting 0 resources because of a somewhat stupid anti-afk thing that can easily be defeated by crouch autorunning in a random direction if you actually wanted to AFK gain resources.
    • Up x 1
  13. Puredeathnight

what most people think is people from one fraction switching to the other that is winning is simply not correct, what actually happens is people from the losing fractions tend to just log off, as stated before only about 1% log off one fraction and switch to another, yet people still think that penalizing the other 99% will stop that 1% from causing a 5-10% pop differential, there are graphs on threads in proper sections that actually show the population of each fraction with numerical values over the course of alerts on all servers. The data drawn from such graphs and charts supports what I have already said, that simply the losing fraction logs of faster than the winning fraction.
    Now if i could get full exp for an alert that i was on for all but 5 min before the end because the server kicked both of my outfits platoons, I would be happy
    • Up x 1
  14. GaBeRock

I disagree with this, as the fastest way to start out piloting is chain -pulling ESF's across multiple factions during one faction's cooldown timer. ESF's don't need a higher skill floor.
  15. user101

I agree with you for the most part. I for one just log off. But a lot of players switch factions and show up at an NC base with VS weapons -- what is far about this... why do I have to kill the same guy I just killed in NC because he ran out of tanks as NC so he shows up with a magrider.... ???? And there are no VS around the base. This is an exploit in the game and I should what turn him in for cheating because he is using a magrider at an NC base.??? This is why the 4 faction needs to be stopped.

This would help stop people from logging off. Cheaters are the cause of a lot of problems in the game.
  16. Puredeathnight

I have seen the third fraction with only a few % at bases far from the front lines, usually we (my outfit) just determines that they are trying to farm, laugh and shoot anyone that isn't a friendly. Also, switching fractions and going to a base where your fraction doesn't have a respectable pop % is not cheating. 1% of total game pop switching fractions or "cheating" do not cause really any issues at all, i mean so what a total of like 5 people left the losing fraction to get on their alts on a wining one during an alert, that's no where near enough people to cause an issue or really move the pop % on the server a noticeable amount. Blaming all issues related or not you have with the game on Fourth Factioning, shows how little people actually look into and understand the cause of their issues and an obvious lack of effort. I could easily relate this to previous wars and racism but i wont seeing as I believe it is against forum rules, you will only read what you want to read, and the groups that where used as escape goats for another groups issues actually existed unlike how the Fourth Faction is portrayed.

TL; DR: read it that is what you went to school for.
  17. Crazytrain

I created a VS on Mattherson and a TR on Soltech.
    SOE killed Soltech and moved my TR to Mattherson.
    SOE introduced free daily certs upon login around the same time.
    Even if I'm not playing PS2 that day, I always log in all my characters for their free certs.

So with your suggestion, all of my grenades, C4, mines, (med kits?) would be deleted every day? What's not to like?
    • Up x 2
  18. Vivicector

They should make an 8 hour cooldown for the faction switch after you have entered the game as an empire character. Want to play other empires? Create chars on the other server.

Also, this would prevent some bastards to switch factions and go kill his new "friendlies" to make a hole in defence or just cause of rage. Rly, I was killed by such guys. 1st I kill him several times, then he tries something stupid to kill me no matter what. If that fails, he switches sides and do a teamkill. I can tell it by nearly the same nicks there.
  19. Crazytrain

Only after providing free character transfers to other servers.

...and even then a decision like this could really backfire causing a lot of players to quit, hurting revenue and degrading the quality of the gameplay for everyone.

A better solution to all of this would just be better incentives for playing on the under-pop faction(s).
  20. Roland2TowerCame

Exactly, same here, I got three toons and membership, I will be collecting my free certs. (I do play all three though)
    Also the resources are tracked per character and you don't gain resources when logged out of a character so that part of the original argument doesn't make sense to me at all.