[Suggestion] Hornets following free look in esf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Orion44, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Orion44

Hornets feel really hard and akward to use it is almost imposible to hit a moving esf ...
    I feel like they would be much more reliable if they would follow free look so you could actually hover and use the laser tracking or whatever its supposed to be.

This will refresh this weapon and maybe put it close to the old lockon missiles damage but with a lot more skill involved
    Thanks for reading
    • Up x 3
  2. Crayv

I used the Hornets for the first time the other day (I bought them during the holiday sale). I enjoyed using them but they could use a slight buff.

While I tried to avoid hovering with them I often found myself reducing my speed so I could reliably use them. 2 out of 3 flights were ended by a dumbfire and an AP tank round (flying at a reduced speed but not hovering) mainly due to the fact that you have to flying in a predictable path for an extended amount of time.
  3. Dead soldier

I can't believe that mumen hit my sythe with a hornet... :( Twas a sad day.
  4. IamnotAmazing

you say this as if it's an anti air weapon...
  5. HLM

Hornets are not supposed to be hitting ESFs,

Sure, it's possible, but there is absolutely no reason to make it easier to do so.
    • Up x 2
  6. GaBeRock

Hornets would make an interesting antiliberatr/galaxy weapon if they had resistances drastically nerfed. Freelook hornets would be better, but changing two resistances would be much easier for SOE to do, so I campaign for that.
  7. IamnotAmazing

but it's an av weapon, not aa, and I want my damn mass drivers even , just make them not do damage to tanks
  8. GaBeRock

Hornets are billed as an A2G weapon, but so are daltons, and those have their niche A2A role for skilled players, so I don't see why Hornets can't have their own niche A2A role. For a mass driver, I'd rather see a sniper nosegun- very high bullet velocity, longish reload, 1 round in the chamber, basically no damage drop over range, no or very little usefulness against tanks, and considerably less dps (with reload taken into account) that any nosegun in close range, but higher dps than A2AM and coyotes.
  9. IamnotAmazing

well to make these aa they'd have to up their velocity a metric ****ton
  10. Kurohagane

no ****, you can actually run into your own missiles with racer
    • Up x 1
  11. Schn00bs

They are acutally also pretty bad vs ground .. i mean there is not a single advantage over rocketpods.
    Making them following free-look and extending their range should be a good aproche to make them usefull.
  12. Lucidius134

"For a mass driver"

you are speaking as if there wasn't a weapon for ESF in the game called Mass Drivers already. His post wasn't a suggestion. They were on PTS before.
    • Up x 1
  13. ElectricSheepDream

I just wish they had the option to dumbfire them. Because hovering in place while guiding them or being really close so you don't have to are both great way to eat a titan round in the face. That would also make them more useful as a sort of hit and run weapon.
  14. Chad444

Looking at the size of those rockets, they should be able to fly as fast as an ESF. Rockets like that IRL would easily catch up to the slow aircraft in PS2 and take it out in a single hit. But ya' know, screw logic right?

Btw that auraxium medal in you sig is photoshopped on pretty badly
  15. GoyoElGringo

No, there is already too much versatility in ESF weapons, we don't need more. If you want A2A, you have 2 other missiles that work just fine. The Dalton shouldn't be shooting down ESFs either, but that's a discussion for a different thread.
  16. IamnotAmazing

lol it's ms paint, and it took about 30 seconds, problem?
  17. GaBeRock

My suggestion was as a primary weapon, mass drivers I believe were secondaries.

They would only be versatile for a particularly experienced set of pilots, and even then they're just gaining t2o more targets.
  18. Frosty The Pyro

burst and tracking a dodging vehicle

it takes like 3 salvos to kill a tank from the top, maybe a touch of nose gun after if they had reinforced top armor, would need to recheck the math. Coordinate and the target is dead before they know they are getting shot. Pods, even coordinated, give them time to start moving/magburn/sheild. Similar against maxs, who will hit charge after the pods start falling and frequently get away, one hornet salvo = dead max.

not saying hornets are good, but they do have advantages over rocketpods, those advantages just dont apear in uncoordinated or solo play.
  19. Nogrim313

agree with that, but i dont think mouse looking will make them much better at that still but greatly improve their use vs the ground. this would actually make me purchase them, mostly just for something different
  20. GoyoElGringo

I don't think experienced pilots need anymore buffs. I don't think any ESF pilot needs more buffs. If anything the weapons need a rework to make them less versatile. As it stands now, the Hornets are outclassed against armor by the rocket pods, which are also the most popular AI weapon.