[Guide] Galaxy Guide

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gezzenegger, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Gezzenegger

Hey guys and girls, I've put together a video guide for the Galaxy. It's geared towards players that are just starting out, although regular Galaxy pilots should get a kick out of this one also :p

Cheers,
    Gezzenegger

• Up x 4
  2. tZonkD

Nice and simple =)

One may add that the default drakes are not that bad either, especially against hard targets like armour and libs. Personally i run a upp'd drake w themal (to see tough smoke) on the tail to help fend of libs.
    • Up x 2
  3. Lightwolf

I appreciate that you certed the sixth level dance floor, but I believe you left out the hot tub and hook loadouts. That said, good simple guide.
    • Up x 1
  4. Gezzenegger

That's awesome :)
  5. Kid Gloves

I have to step in here and remind everyone that the stealth hot-tub galaxy is still viable. :)
  6. tZonkD

In my experience the stealth options only help on relatively small/silent things against experienced players (most greenhorns don't use the minimap anyway).. The noise and visual profile of the gal seem to effectively counter stealth.. I'm (genuinely) curious, how do you use it to your advantage in a skywhale?
  7. Kid Gloves

For small operations, as you say. I also find it greatly improves my Gal's survivability in larger fights simply because it allows the Galaxy to disappear cover and be lost by whomever is chasing it. It also becomes a great lure; an ESF or liberator will give chase, and as long as the gunner doesn't return fire it can be used to drag 1-2 enemy aircraft over friendly AA without taking so much damage it dies.

Stealth also works wonders when you're doing an approach from an unexpected angle, or using terrain to cover your advance. With a generic camo skin, you can fool people into not instantly recognising your faction (much like with a lightning). If combined with the p4nda school of flying (so low that you have to pull up to avoid friendly infantry), it can mean the first time you're spotted by a hostile is when you've already delivered your 10 guys to their destination and your gunner announces your position by tapping the enemy on the shoulder with a bulldog.

Gal being NS helps a lot; yes, people hear a galaxy overhead. But without a giant red silhouette on the minimap confirming their suspicions, it can go unnoticed.

TL;DR: Stealth has its place in the Galaxy, but like stealth on anything it's really only useful when max'd. So it shares with Nanite Repair for me in terms of usefulness. I still wouldn't touch comp., though. In situations where I'd think comp might be useful, stealth is typically a better pick.
  8. tZonkD

Interesting, thats one of the few things i haven't certed out on my gal. Guess i know what to max next :) Should suit me well as i love flying so close to the ground that ppl who aren't used to my gal piloting scream at me to climb or just straight jump out xD

One thing about the stealth line, in general, that bugs me is its usually one of the most situational yet expensive line.

What happened to "sidegrade"? If things in the same category are supposed to be equal but for different purposes, surely their "cert worth" should also be equal..?
  9. Kid Gloves

The big thing to remember with stealth: when your gunners decide to fire at the clouds, it makes you appear on the mini-map. So if you're loading up on pubs who like to shoot clouds, pick nanite repair. :D
    • Up x 1
  10. Levtech

Great and informative video, and nice editing. I would probably be flying galaxies a lot more if I had 2,500 certs to dump into getting bulldogs/walkers.
  11. tZonkD

Solid advice for the anyone who did not know; shooting from a stealth vehicle pops it into the mini. If you're looking to try it out, any vehicle, be sure to fire & make your gunner fire sparsely and only when you think you can get the kill.

Its pretty much a outfit/friends only option. I do run it quite a bit on my lib/mbt. In the "right kind of fights" it does make a significant difference; but for the most part armour or nar is plain better for me. I tend to play rather aggressively (to much so tbh) which may well be why i don't get so much mileage out of this cert line. Ill cert it up soon and try some sneaky skywhaling :)