Why were Beta nights removed in the first place?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IamDH, Mar 31, 2014.

1. IamDH

All this support and it never came back. Why?
    • Up x 2
  2. Phyr

People complained it was too dark.
  3. IamDH

Okay..

How about the night starts of bright than gradually gets darker and turns bright once more then turns into day.
  4. RadarX

We received a lot of feedback about night and as mentioned it was severely hampering the ability for many folks to play (or they'd just jack up their brightness during that period).
    • Up x 8
  5. Phyr

Is there any possiblity of improving base lighting? ie; Light actually coming from a light source rather then a cylinder of light in seemingly random places?
    • Up x 3
  6. Inex

I was fiddling with the brightness to try and understand why some people say the night is too bright (thinking maybe they just set their bright to 75 and forgot about it), and this actually helped enough to make a difference. I might have to start doing that more regularly.
    • Up x 1
  7. vincent-

Maybe you should have had a 10cert goggles to see things at great distance and night vision gear to wear as an infantry. Scopes are nice but that isn't the same thing.
    • Up x 1
  8. MasterCheef

implants maybe?
    • Up x 2
  9. KAHR-Alpha

Shaders can fix that.
    • Up x 2
  10. Inex

If the night is so dark that you need to buy cert items to fight again, maybe an easier solution is just brighter nights? Especially if those items end up working like the current IRNV which work just as well in daylight.
  11. Luighseach

I currently like the way night are now atm. They are dark enough(without upping brightness) to not see someone(usually VS) but bright enough not to need IR sites.
  12. Riddlley

Let's be honest here. You want to know why we won't get beta night? Its because SOE stands to lose players because of it. They don't lose any by not having it. I loved the dark nights, and it seems the majority agree... But there are a vocal few who take issue with it.
    • Up x 2
  13. vincent-

God you don't need an implant for something that modern military can do already.
    • Up x 1
  14. MasterCheef

Its probably the opposite. I bet the majority would prefer to see clearly at night, while there is a small minority who want pitch black tactical play.

in the context of this being a game, its feasible. Sure it may not be realistic, but neither is respawning or weightless weapons.
    • Up x 3
  15. Inex

Ssshhhh.... that's supposed to be a secret.
  16. MrJoske

People always seem to forget this is a competitive shooter. Having the darker nights only achieves that you put yourself in a disadvantage against those who don't care about tacticool immersive gameplay and jack up the brightness (like RadarX already mentioned).
  17. Riddlley

I still maintain that it would be a nice option.
  18. Hicksimus

Step 1) Do better lighting work and make it so that bases are well-lit areas(perhaps with some rare poorly lit spots) and make the great outdoors very dark
    Step 2) Bring Beta nights back

It's not a complicated idea and it adds depth.

Edit: By better lighting work I mean to say that most lights in the game are more like somebody shining a laser pointer at you than actual lights and things that do cast light seem unobstructed by walls and other opaque objects. It would be a great step forward to do a better job at lighting.
    • Up x 1
  19. Stopper

In my opinion, the actuals nights have two problems :

1 - They are too dark for too much time : it's boring and painful to see almost nothing.

2 - There is no logic about it : OK, a long and dark night can naturally exists ; but :

a) a military base, at war, under the threat of an enemy attack, will never stay in the shadows (except to avoid bombardments, but this is not the reason of bases' darkness in PS2) and will in the opposite light every square to avoid enemy infiltration and allows sentinels to watch everything ;

b) the IR/NV scope will be available on all guns (why some guns have it and some - almost identical - don't ? Because those which haven't it are a little more powerful and must have a drawback ? If so, that's a design choice, not a logical one).
    • Up x 1
  20. Giggily

For all the people saying to just "make better lightning", keep in mind that this game runs like **** for a lot of people with older (and newer...) machines, and I'm betting that adding a ton of static lights just isn't really possible. I, for one, didn't like how dark the test server got with the changes. I think that VS are easily seen on live, but on test with darker nights it was really ridiculous.
    • Up x 1