[Suggestion] LA - Overall Sad Face

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by RockPlanetSide2, Mar 18, 2014.

1. RockPlanetSide2

I don't particularly like Titan Fall, but watching the infantry move around in the game I can't even bring myself to use the jet pack anymore, it really makes me frown (like I can feel my mouth contort into contempt uncontrollably) when I turn it on and just float around like a blimp and not just hauling***, wall walking, and propelling straight into battle, mowing people down on the fly like you do in TF.

Even after all this time, the PS2 trailer still gives you hope, but you still have this slow floating gas-bag **** class. It's like the TitanFall team watched the PS2 trailer and just said "Why did these fools not make the game like this?... lets do it instead!".

LA is just the complete Sad Face of this game currently. I'm not talking about C4 or any other gimmicks, I'm just talking about mobility... it is just lame.

I really think some redesign should be done here for LA at the ground level, there was obviously some kind of glint of awesome in the trailer, where did that creativity go? :p I've heard about all the stupid "PS2 has speed issues with fast moving objects!"... just do anything other than the way it is.

Whatever.
    • Up x 8
  2. Sandpants

Whilst I'm a sad panda about LA, doing what titanfall does with jetpacks can take a lot of effort. In this game it might not work as good as it does in titanfall if it were hypothetically copy pasted, the complexity goes beyond just traditional dynamics, unless you begin to assume things, in which case the system becomes dumbed-down and you just get a gimmicky and poorly implemented system.

It should be pursued though.
    • Up x 1
  3. asdfPanda

Agreed.

The terrain sucks; I get caught on rocks and pebbles when I'm on foot or in a vehicle, I can't climb some supposedly shallow inclines, and if I strafe on uneven terrain, my aim gets ****** up. The terrain is one of the main reasons why I'm inclined to play Light Assault more often. In Planetside 2, it feels like I'm fighting the game, not the enemy. Compared to Titanfall's fluid gameplay, Planetside 2 definitely has some rough edges.

Also, the pilot abilities in Titanfall are quite nice. At least the Stim could be translated to Planetside 2. Let it take up the tool slot, and use it in the same way you would use a medkit.
    • Up x 1
  4. IntergalacticYoghurt

One (major) difference is that everyone has that jetpack in Titanfall. If LA had it, it would be an incredible advantage over other classes.
    I still think it's a fantastic tool in PS2. Typically, in my experience, it's people who ONLY play LA who find it underwhelming.

Having said that, I'd not against jazzing it up. I just think other classes would need significant buffs to compensate.
  5. Ryme

Titanfall's jetpacks are actually very weak. It's the combination of parkour surfaces and map layouts that make them seem so much more attractive. The game keeps a high pace of combat by giving everyone the ability to kill everyone else head to head. There isn't any of the "Air should be more powerful than X" rock>scissor>paper entitlement that people try to manipulate in PS2.
    • Up x 1
  6. RockPlanetSide2

I just don't see why it can be much faster than it is.

I understand that in Titanfall its mainly the map designs.

I think its the acceleration speed more than anything in PS2. Sprint key + Jetpack should just be like Afterburners on an ESF. Will that help me escape a bit more, or get places faster? Sure it will, but that will only be a good thing in the game not a bad one.

Even Scaling walls right now just has this slow "blimp" feel to it - "uuhhhhhhhhhh almost there, uhhhhhh..."

I don't see why it can't just be more like the trailer, quick burns to just jump right up on the wall into the fight, into a tree, or right up on a rock.

Right now its just just a long-winded-chili-fart as propellent.
    • Up x 2
  7. bulletchaser666

I AGREE
    jetpacks need to be alittle more... agile?

i don't always use LA, but when i do i get killed half way up a wall cause apparently im a fat -*** and don't meet the weight requirement for this technologically advanced military hardware.
  8. Ryme

If you're talking about the Death is No Excuse trailer, I believe that the LA is actually using the Drifter Jetpack. If you watch at it again, he actually gains very little lift and is mostly jumping off cliffs and moving over downward slopping terrain. There is of course the section where he grabs onto an ESF and hitches a ride onto enemy Galaxies, shooting out both the passengers and pilot to crash the plane, but that seems to be the cut-off point for the trailer having any correlation to what you can do in the game.

Use the Drifter Jets and you can move like the LA in the trailer, minus doing all that really cool stuff.
  9. RockPlanetSide2

You can't even get into a tree with those, that has nothing to do with the trailer. Drifter jets are for 1 thing and that is praying as you blimp-float into c4 position... "awesome design job" :p.
  10. Ryme

Yeah but you can't really do that with Titanfall boosters either. Most of their mobility comes from parkour and contextual ledge grabs.
  11. Iridar51

The point isn't to have boosters from titanfall. The point is our jump jets and overal movement speed should be much faster.
    • Up x 1
  12. bulletchaser666

I've always found that the jetpack isn't as useful as it would seem outside of a tactical combat standpoint, there are a couple cool things you can do with drifters and tower pads but apart from ease of movement there isn't really any actual speed increase per-say. i've feel that the drifters should be alittle faster on ground and jumpjets should have more inital lift off since it takes a moment to ascend to certain heights.

Food for thought i suppose.
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

You aren't going to get the mobility seen in Titanfall,

That degree of mobility would be downright devastating to every other class in the game. They could try upgrading the mobility of everyone in general, then increasing the mobility of the Light Assault to match that of Titanfall...but I don't even think it's possible in this game without having some grave problems.

Granted, I'd love to see the ability to tumble implemented...that alone would be a huge improvement. A double jump seems doable, perhaps something they could add in an implant form...who knows, but the complexity seen in Titanfall? Not too sure that's even possible in PS2.
  14. Donaldson Jones

I could see they giving LA an ability to "blow the tank" like an afterburner (in exchange the tank is then emptied) that will move you in one direction extremely rapidly that you could cert into, but beyond that I think it'd be over powered.

If you need an illustration of how OP life is with just "a bit" of speed see ZOE 1.0
  15. Demyer

Been playing Hawken for a week and going back to LA is so underwhelming.
    Jetpack is so slow, terrible accuracy while flying, takes too long to slow down from a fall, no dodging, no air dodging. :(
  16. RockPlanetSide2

All I really care about is speed when flying. Who cares if it takes me 1 second to get to a roof rather than 4 seconds like it does now. Does that stop me from dying in less than .5 seconds? No. It would not be devastating to anybody, it would just make the class not suck.

There is no need for the horribly slow acceleration either, just let me fly around quickly... the jet pack still only lasts for about 6 seconds, where is the issue?

I still can't fly into outer-space...

Really the best thing would be to just make a 3rd jet pack... that way people can keep their regular one, and a new one could just make for rapid ups and downs. Want to fly around a tower and use a shotgun on people who can't even play the game? Go head and use the current jetpack...

Just give me one that lets me move around out in open and around trees/rocks like I actually have on - oh, I don't know? - a ******* jetpack.
  17. bulletchaser666

for future refernce lets keep titan fall of this subject.