[Suggestion] Vanguard Buff!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Auronk, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Auronk

We all know that people want the vanguard's shield nerfed, but if SOE were to do so, the game would be horrendously imbalanced.

So, in this thread, I think we should post how we would buff the vanguard to compensate, please tell us which proposed nerf would accompany the buff, so that some people don't get confused. IE: make the vanguard move 25% slower with the shield on, and make their maingun reload 1.5sec faster.
  2. deggy

Make the Shield not protect the rear.

Buff VG drivers' situational awareness.
    • Up x 2
  3. Shockwave44

Sorry but its time to take the bottle away. You seem to think the vanguard all of a sudden becomes bad after the shield wears off.

This thread should be deleted.
    • Up x 2
  4. Schwak

Sorry if Vanguards have been crutching on the shield for the last well I don't know, since the game was released? I think after a few weeks people would be doing near the same level in the vanguard after a shield nerf. Buffing and nerfing at the same time is a dangerous transition. SOE has both over buffed and over nerfed before. Doing both at the same time could push the vanguard to either of the extremes and I think if and when it finally is adjusted, vanguards just need to play their course for a week or 2 and we can see what is going on.

Shield is nothing but a crutch that the NC have been privileged to. They are allowed to over extend because they know there is going to be an 8 second period or double their health pool available to them if their engagement goes wrong while the rest of the tankers have to play around this ability. The only real statistic that the shield contributes to is the amount of 1v1's won by the vanguard in regards to MBT skirmishes.
    • Up x 1
  5. NovaAustralis

The Vanguard has one advantage over the Magrider and Prowler...
    75% damage from front armour attacks.
    This is versus 90% damage from front armour attacks for the Magrider and Prowler.
    Side and rear armour damage mitigation is the same for all tanks.

I'd rather see equivalent Shields given to the TR Prowler and VS Magrider and see how that plays out... then tweak to suit = everyone happy / no nerfs.

Also, a Turbo / Magburner type Utility for the Vanguard would be cool.
    Also, Anchored Mode for the Vanguard would be cool.
    ;)
  6. deggy

This is flat-out false. All of your numbers are wrong.

• Lightning
      • Front Armor Increased from 55 to 65
      • Front Armor certification bonus decreased from 10 to 7
      • Side & Top Armor Increased from 45 to 58
      • Side Armor certification bonus decreased from 10 to 8
      • Top Armor certification bonus decreased from 15 to 8
      • Rear & Bottom Armor Increased
    • Magrider
      • Front Armor Increased from 55 to 63
      • Side & Top Armor Increased from 50 to 58
      • Top Armor certification bonus decreased from 10 to 8
      • Rear Armor Increased from -20 to 30
    • Prowler
      • Front Armor Increased from 55 to 63
      • Side & Top Armor Increased from 50 to 58
      • Top Armor certification bonus decreased from 10 to 8
      • Rear & Bottom Armor Increased from -20 to 30
    • Vanguard
      • Front Armor Increased from 62 to 68
      • Front Armor certification bonus decreased from 5 to 4
      • Side & Top Armor Increased from 60 to 65
      • Rear & Bottom Armor Increased from -20 to 35
    As we can see from this, Vanguards take 32% of damage from front attacks, 35% from the side, and 65% from the back.
    Other tanks take 38% of damage from the front, 42% from the side, and 70% from the back.
    Vanguards have 5% more armor. On EVERY SIDE.
    And Vanguard Reinforced Side Armor is also better than Prowler/Magrider RSA. Vanguard RSA provides a 10% boost, while the other two are only 8%.
    • Up x 2
  7. NovaAustralis

1. I like that you quoted me in full, including my suggestion that all factions get an equivalent of the Vanguard Shield, but then in your reply, focus only on the %'s... :rolleyes:

2. Anyway, I'll use the stats you provided:

Vanguards take (68) 32% of damage from front, (65) 35% from the side, and (35) 65% from the back.
    Prowlers/Magriders take (63) 37% of damage from front, (58) 42% from the side, and (30) 70% from the back.
    Vanguards have 5% more armor. On EVERY SIDE.

Vanguard RSA provides a 10% boost. (Side damage reduced to (75) 25%)
    Prowlers/Magriders RSA provides only an 8% boost. (Side damage reduced to (70) 30%)

Vanguards take (72) 28% of damage from front with RFA (4% boost).
    Prowlers/Magriders take (68) 32% of damage from front with RFA (5% boost).

Please tell me what difference that extra 5% armour makes?
    Is it 1 extra volley from a Prowler/Magrider?
    Is it an extra second of burning in the red before exploding?
    or what?

3. Question:
    So, are you now aiming for;
    "NERF VANGAURD ARMOUR VALUES PLOX SOE!!11!"
    ?

4. Bearing in mind that this is in addition to:
    "NERF VANGAURD SHIELD PLOX SOE!!11!"
    "NERF TANK TURRETS PLOX SOE!!11!"
    :rolleyes:

How 'bout you just join the NC, cert up a Vanguard and you might just be a happier little camper?
  8. Nody

You were the one stating absorbation numbers from the front and sides which were all wrong for every single tank.
  9. deggy

No, I'm aiming to understand why you don't know the numbers for the tank you defend so vehemently.
  10. Klypto

The shield didn't actually work until several months later.
    • Up x 1
  11. evansra

I have not seen detailed stats such as kdr, spm or kpm but I think the vanguard is already I poorly performing tank overall. If the shield goes it will be god awful.

I could live with a small reduction in the amount of damage absorbed as a trial to see how it effects 1v1 tank combat as the van is good in that department, however to take away its advantage you will need to balance it vs infantry as both other tanks are better at that.

Just an idea, half van shield strength but buff titan he to 1 hit non flak armour infantry with splash dmg? Would also help stop every vanguard over lvl 5 running ap.
    • Up x 1
  12. NovaAustralis

1. Did you notice the first % I used actually favoured your argument better than the actual % (which you kindly provided)?*
    No?
    That's probably because you were too focused on:
    a. refuting my posts, discrediting my posts, and/or
    b. trying to continue to call for an unnecessary nerf to something that isn't remotely game-breaking.

*(75% vs. 90% = 15% difference, this is over the actual 5% difference, so therefore a worse situation for Prowlers/Magriders.)

2. I only defend the Vanguard "so vehemently" because I know SOE nerf things hard and the Vanguard does not need a nerf.
    (My days in a Vanguard are done, for now, but I don't want wimpy / nerfed NC foes when I play TR or VS. I know how the Vanguard plays and enjoy the challenge of taking them on as they are.)

3. It's the Magrider that needs some sort of buff.
    (That, or you just need to play in another type of tank, because maybe the Magrider doesn't suit your taste in what you expect a tank can / cannot do... just sayin'...)
  13. Flag

The 5% armour isn't 5% effective HP. That wouldn't be enough to require the extra reload.
    As an example, the +10% armour from reinforced side on the Vanguard increases the effective HP by almost 30%.

Alone it's not the biggest problem. It's when this benefit is transferred to also be applied for the shield is when it goes over the edge.
    Even if you gave the shield to the other two empires, it would be weaker, in spite of sharing the base bonus HP.

Ps:
    I have a well certed vanguard, which has allowed me to test it in certain situations, to see how it handles them.
    And subsequently compare it to what I've experienced in prowlers and magriders, as well as other people's experiences with the same.
  14. Frozen-K

If everyone went NC, who would the NC shoot at? This mentality wouldn't work.
  15. NovaAustralis

Well yeah, obviously.
    But that comment was aimed at the dude who complained about Vanguard Shield, turret turn speed on Vanguards and Prowlers and Vanguard armour values.
    It just sounded like he wasn't enjoying playing in a Magrider and perhaps would have more fun in a 'tank' tank, like the Vanguard...