New Updated Bases on Indar on PTS, What are initial thoughts?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UAL328, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Tipper

I'm fine with the new Quartz layout if they remove the road on the east side. I think it will ruin the fights when the attackers (specifically from Indar Excavation) are able to easily get sundies deployed at both entrances. The base is great at preventing a tank zerg, and I think letting them pass so freely without taking the base kind of removes this purpose.
    • Up x 5
  2. zaspacer

I HATE when they change a base that has great personality and is fun. Especially when there are many other bases that are boring.

Quartz is one of the most fun bases in the game. Especially when combining Indar Excavation.

Gulch was murder, but it had great personality.
    • Up x 2
  3. Flashtirade

Hopefully they'll make the Impact Site more relevant.
    And they remake the Southwest so that the bases aren't in the worst place possible (the bottom of the canyon) or they at least make the bases more integrated into the walls and more vertical.
  4. vincent-

quartz is fun when trying too hold the south reminds me of D-day trying to storm a fortress I just never liked north because it's the weakest defense and if they had just raise the base in the north higher like intimidating the base would be fine it's a challenge to take.

Gulch Mining just needs to be removed and have the hvar watch tower moved half way there and change the whole system from there to the next base into a bridge tunnel hybrid. Unless the whole base is going to have a true purpose to the sea which is what I really want too see in the future than it's really not needed.
  5. notyourbuddy

Uh oh they are changing Quartz. Getting one of those, "If it ain't broke must fix it," vibes.

If they wanted to change Quartz really all they had to do was adjust the firing angles of the AV Phalanx on the north end so they could aim down the road and maybe make it a little easier for infantry to move around inside the base. Those large hills surrounding the road were hard to walk up.
    • Up x 5
  6. NC_agent00kevin

I liked Quartz Ridge just fine before. Spawn room was far from the points and it was annoying to navigate, but the fights there more than made up for it. If they did have to fix it, Id say make it so tanks cant get on the east ridge and move the spawn room towards the middle of the base. Adjust the turrets and voila, done. In fact, just adjusting the east ridge and turrets would be fine.
    • Up x 3
  7. Bankrotas

I hope it will end up being deleted.
    • Up x 1
  8. Takoita

I think the first priority should be smoothing out the landscape a little. You know how Amerish despite being all mountains and stuff always had a good deal of places both infantry and vehicles could traverse off-road? And how Indar always had lots of places that'd stop you or even make you slide all the way back down on the very last part of the climb? Those should really get looked at.
    • Up x 1
  9. BengalTiger

[IMG]

Note this iteration has walls right behind each entrance.
    It seems that SOE doesn't think that the gates, tight paths and threat of being C4'd are enough a deterrent to tanks.
    Either that, or having a secondary objective in a base makes the game too complicated, or perhaps being unable to attack from both sides makes battles take too long.
    • Up x 1
  10. JudgeDeath

Quartz is one of those "all or nothing" bases where you can try and stop an armor zerg. Now they make a damn road bypassing the whole base and the side where the road is they have a pipeline, not a wall so no defenders shooting down from it either.

It sucks that every base with much action gets stomped to generic and useless state.

http://2.bp.************/-FdP5PiHGmEk/TajIVgLphrI/AAAAAAAAAM4/gKloLmEvHt8/s1600/square_bike_wheel.jpg
  11. UberBonisseur

I'm actually thinking if it's not better to just nuke Quartz alltogether and just put a generic small outpost off centered slighlty on the east

The chokepointy nature of the base kills one of the best part of this area:
    Vehicular combat.

If the terrain was just a large ramp going all the way from Excavation Site to Hvar East, we would have the biggest open field for armored conflict in the whole game. Quartz Ridge getting in the way breaks that.
    • Up x 1
  12. Bullborn

The uniqueness of Quartz Ridge was that you couldn't just tankzerg and tank-camp the spawnroom (at least from the north).

Its faults was that it was too hard to defend from the south (as tanks would just sit on top of the mountains) and too easy to defend from the north (as there was limited entry routes). It was also hard to assault south once QR was actually captured due to long elevated road.

In the latest picture, I would imagine tanks and sunderers would simply proceed to sit on the sideroad and camp (probably with a fair few then also sitting on the mountainside shelling down into the base).

Some ideas:
    * Keep it infantry heavy. Make cap points with spawnrooms attached to them (like the new amp stations). So if you make it inside, you can hold on to a foothold.
    * Additional entrypoint from the north (i.e. a tunnelsystem from the west side which now is just dead area anyways)
    * Flatten the inside of the base somewhat so its easier to navigate.
    * Make the base be inside the mountain (so it has a roof covering the majority of the base to stop some of the tank spam).

It would still be a meatgrinder, but that's ok. The amp-station cap-spawns would allow it to be an infantry battle once the outer walls are breached.
    • Up x 1
  13. kadney

I really hope they will fix it at Quartz Ridge's Southside. I really hope they will change this after more than one year! :eek:
  14. MostlyClueless

Any changes to Indar would be good, they did such a good job with Amerish I'm willing to trust them on this one.
  15. AzureKnight

Well, besides the fact this should belong in the PTS subsection, I will say I'm very much delighted that they're going back over seemingly most bases on all continents.

I really hope they are going over all the bases again as I'm tired of fighting in pretty much the same type of base at 20 different areas. That definitely looks like a fun new quartz ridge. Looks like they are listening to the players and making infantry more of a focus in base capping. We'll see when they get completed.
  16. NovaAustralis

Sandstone Gulch and Quartz Ridge... both bases built in valleys with no defenses on the over-looking hills... what kinda amateur general built these places?! o_O

Both bases would have benefited more from getting walls up on the hills surrounding them and multiple spawn-rooms with teleporters out of them to the other side of the base. Then they would be more defensible, less of a farming opportunity and make for more interesting battles.

Even if they just did this, it would be an improvement:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...rible-base-design.157907/page-21#post-2264160

What that WiP looks like is yet another generic base, with the same problems as the current design and with a bypass around it to boot... :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  17. HadesR

I feel they should remove Hvar Watch Tower then expand Sandstone and make it live up to it's name .. Off set the Base to the West then Add ( mining ) tunnels under the ground where the Watch Tower used to be.

I'm not sure on the Quartz Ridge changes .. Will need to see it in a later build first ..
    • Up x 1
  18. Larington

As a Planetside 1 vet I'm perfectly ok with vehicles being able to surround a facility without it being too much of a chore. The exception is when multiple vehicles are able to get line of sight on the spawn building(s) and prevent people from charging out - PS1 bases largely had elevated doors/exits so you could emerge above vehicles and fire down on them with a bit of safety.
    • Up x 2
  19. Wecomeinpeace

I agree that sandstone gulch should just be removed entirely.

It's a joke of a base with one of the smallest, most exposed spawnrooms in the whole game. And while their redesign might fix that the base is still a "dead end" and the area allready has enough bases crammed at the edge of that stupid "out of bounds" area.

The new "Hvar western base" looks fine, though i would have argued all it took to make it more defensable was to put the cap point into the tower (or atleast closer to it).

So aside from sandstone gulch (which i said should just be removed entirely) i don't really get why they decided to retool these specific bases.
    Tawrich area and stuff like corameds is way, way, way worse.
  20. CrashB111

Gulch was just awful, get armor parked on the near vertical cliffs around the base and just start spamming cannon fire down into it. No real way for the Defenders to prevent it either since you had to run out of the long canyon constantly open to attack.
    • Up x 1