Cuncussion grenades

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Princess Celestia, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Princess Celestia

Who thought adding the random spazziness was a good idea or even balanced?
  2. ColonelChingles

It's one of the best ways to fight MAXes as a Heavy Assault, that's for sure. A Concussion Grenade followed by a rocket does wonders when the MAX can't dodge or run away.

It also has a pretty useful role in clearing out rooms. Bang and clear!

As for balance, rumor has it that one of the implants will protect you from Flash and Concussion Grenades. Who knows?
    • Up x 1
  3. Paperlamp

I hate them, annoying as hell, but then I don't play HA. Usually they don't end up killing my MAX suit as you can still kind of move into cover even though it's annoying to maneuver. I've also read having on- the fly sensitivity on your mouse can let you counter it by bumping your mouse speed up temporarily.

AV grenades are scarier when I'm in a MAX, since as a MAX sometimes you just figure you'll shrug off the occasional grenade, but AV does way more to MAXes obviously.

Perhaps they're a needed tool to deal with chokepoints though, and you have to admit it's better than straight up instant death which seems to be how sticky grenades work. Granted, easier to escape a sticky, but for some reason most people seem really bad about avoiding nade spam in spite of the game making nades painfully obvious.
    • Up x 2
  4. Dtswiss

Gotta love friendly conc nades. There is always a heavy in the back that tries to throw a conc nade out of the room but fail and it lands back into the room. Next thing you know we are all dead and over run by the enemy.
  5. ColonelChingles

True, only 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 of my Concussion Grenade attempts actually results in a follow-up rocket. Sometimes I get killed as I toss the grenade, or the MAX ducks behind cover, or someone else kills the MAX. But that's why the Grenade Bandolier is awesome... I can stun-lock MAXes! :D

I don't think those are Concussion Grenades, as those explode on impact. They don't bounce.

Now if someone tried to run through the door at the same time as they tossed it, then the Concussion Grenade would detonate in the doorway. That might definitely happen (just like how people always seem to run in front of my Rezz Grenades).

Maybe the enemy tossed that Concussion Grenade? It'd make sense, if the grenade is immediately followed up by an enemy charge.
  6. Dtswiss

what I meant was that the door way is cluster with friendly pop in and out taking shots and a friendly heavy from the back will try to toss a conc in but hit a friendly back or simple miss because there are too many people in front of him.
  7. DeadlyPeanutt

as an engie who loves doing the pocket engie thing, i keep repairing the max through the c grenade... also i've killed somebody (can't see who) through the effect.
    c grenades rarely result in the loss of a room in my (of course limited) experience.
  8. Battleballs

They are a means of breaking up MAXes or infantry clusters that spam or make it impossible to advance and make battles progress rather than remain in a stalemate. Just like smokes they have their purpose in this game or else there would be no way around the constant grind. But both smokes and concussion nades can be abused as we've seen.
    • Up x 1
  9. TheFamilyGhost

Is there anything people DON'T cry about?

Its pretty clear why the devs are making this game easier instead of giving us great new content. Its because you have demonstrated again and again that you can't hack even the smallest level of difficulty.
  10. SinerAthin

I like Concussion grenades.

Adds variety to the game instead of constant frags & frags.

It has it's fair share of downsides too. The Concussion grenade is the easiest grenade in the game to fumble.
    A load of players end up Concussing themselves or their teammate rather than the enemy.

I don't think they should affect MAXes though, since they are huge Exo-Skeleton mech suits that cost half your Infy resources, but that's just my reasoning.
  11. Atis

Grenades cost resources too and maxes are strong enough already.

Main issue with conc grenades that they are outright better than flash grenades, making HA best even in this area. I mean they make you almost blind AND stun. IMO would be better if they just slow down movements and turns, with minimal image distortion.
  12. miraculousmouse

This, every day you have people finding a new thing to whine about. It used to be seriously broken weapons and such, but then the lynch mob moved on the LA and now the heavy. Pretty soon watch the medic get **** for having "free" restoration kits that others have to pay infantry points for. QQside 2
    • Up x 1
  13. notyourbuddy

Ripping a player's mouse and keyboard from the computer while repeatedly kicking said player in the balls without giving him any way to avoid it is not difficulty - its dumb.

Why they would give such a weapon an explode on impact effect as opposed to a fuse timer like the much more balanced and much less annoying Flash Grenade is anyones guess.
    • Up x 1
  14. TheFamilyGhost

I've been playing FPS games for almost 20 years.

I'm tired of easy-mode. I want drama and danger, difficulty and grief. That is fun for me.

Watered down experiences may satisfy my ego-[driven need for scripted wins, but in the end I feel ashamed.

No hard feelings; we're two different types of players. You seem to not want challenges, and I want them.
    • Up x 1
  15. notyourbuddy

Killing a player with a Frag Grenade takes 10x more challenge then killing someone with a Concussion Grenade in this game.

Unless you find killing a player who is stunlocked unable to fight back "great challenging gameplay." Really if that is your idea of fun you might as well just go into the VR and shoot the target dummies.

No hard feelings of course; we're two different types of players.
  16. miraculousmouse

Sorry for ruining your constant grind that gets boring after 30 or so certs.

You dont realize this but the conc having no fuse timer/bounce is what balances it. Lets say I have to run into the line of sight of a pounder max and his posse to throw my concussion grenade. If I toss the made and move back without dying, I am rewarded with disabled enemies who I and my outfit mates can mop up - that building is secure and the fight keeps moving (this is the absolute best case scenario, usually ill get a max kill and some infantry, before being killed by guys behind them.) But there's also a chance that the wave of red tracers rip me to shreds, a rocket primary gets me, a stray frag.

On the other hand if the made has a fuse timer and it bounces I can use physics to get the grenade safely into the room, of course some might dodge it but just like when you throw a frag into a farming room and get a kil or two, you will have several stunned guys who didn't bother moving, all this time I didn't put myself at any risk.

It adds a bit of spice to the game.
    • Up x 2
  17. TheFamilyGhost

Assigning skill values to different weapons is probably your first mistake.

I find not becoming stun-locked challenging. If conc grenades are such an issue for you, perhaps you should find a way to stay away from them. btw, I would rather kill a stun-locked opponent anyway. The cheapest kills are the best because there is no risk to me.

Everytime I die, I do two things: congratulate my opponent, and figure out how not to die that way again. I don't see any point in coming to the forums to beg for mercy, because when I kill, I have none.

We certainly are two different types of players.
  18. LT_Latency

Grenades are used to help clear rooms, A frag nade can help get you a kill but is not the best for clearing rooms.

If they take out concussion Grenades they would have to buff the blast radius on a frag to hit whole rooms which people would like even less
  19. MadTavish

My only complaint about them, is that they completely outclass LA's flashbangs, but it's mostly due to flashbang's bugginess and unrealibility as well as some straight up mechanics (blinded enemies can see doritos and still somewhat shoot at targets).

Really they might be annoying, but they are necessary in any bigger density CQC combat situation (basically every Biolab fight there has ever been) as they provide useful and reliable tool to break through chokepoints and takedown MAXes.

And the fact that only HA and LA have access to their respective breaching grenades (albeit LA's needs some fixing and buffing) is warranted as they are the two main infantry killing classes if we exclude MAXes.
  20. Lord_Avatar

Frags are area denial weapons - sure, you might score a kill, or two - but the bright red indicator makes non-oblivious people flee. Now, what puzzles me is that whenever I toss in a frag (and I'm not running with my outfit) random allies pour in immediately after... Dear random allies - those other guys vacated the room for a reason...

Concussion nades on the other hand are the love of my life - no bounce means entering LOS of the enemy most of the time, which makes them a high risk - high reward weapon.