Bring back BFRs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jake the Dog, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Peebuddy

This is all Titan Falls fault!

People see how much fun they can be and completely overlook the gaping scar it left behind in the PS universe
  2. Taemien

[IMG]

Make it so.
    • Up x 2
  3. Hotel88A

People still fail to explain a mech's role. Other than it has legs (which are a structural & tactical weak point) , what new does it bring to the battlefield? We already have heavy weapons platforms.
    • Up x 1
  4. Takoita

While I'm all for (giant) robots, what would they do? I'm asking because simply being 'like tank but better' or 'do everything' would be like the second coming of ESF - something we could do without.
  5. Schwak

I didn't even play Planetside 1, NO.
  6. JackD

Yeah and the people are playing those games. No point in competing with those games since PS2 is a unique gamer that already draws enough players. No point in impementing something that will either be useless or impossible to balance.
  7. deggy

Yes, we can bring BFR's back.

But we need to limit them to powerful melee, which will OHKO a BFR if it's a headshot.

When a BFR is destroyed, its pilot compartment should eject upwards.
  8. Taemien

I didn't play PS1, so I'm not sure what their roles were in there. But this is how I would imagine a large mech like vehicles in PS2.

I'm assuming it'd be a 750 cost vehicle so it has to have some use for that sacrifice. I'm thinking a mobile base like vehicle. Basically a compliment to a deployed Sundy. Sundies have 2 secondary weapons. This thing would have everything else a base might have. Basically a Phalanx-like turret for AA purposes. Possibly 2 AV weapons as well. Each weapon would require a gunner, and a pilot has no weapons.

With this setup and enough HP/Armor to survive enough to move around (I'm thinking 30-40kph) it can serve as a supporting role to an attacking or defending force. As for why not another tank in this role, the legs would give it the ability to traverse terrain you can typically do on foot. You can just walk this thing over hills (to an extent of course) no problem. This allows you to put this thing in places that normal sundies and tanks simply cannot go.

With AA weapons on top, and AV weapons being the only option against ground. This thing's major weakness will be infantry. It will have to be supported by Viper Lightnings and other AI setups.

Weapons could definitely be different than we're used to. Swarm missiles (like Coyotes) could be used in either the AV or AA role. Could even go full blown missile boat if you wanted to make this thing really unique. You could even borrow from BattleTech (best Mech franchise going) a bit for ES weapons. Large Gauss Rifles (Railguns) for the NC, Laser like weapons or particle weapons for the VS, and Autocannons for the TR.
  9. warmachine1

Smal, jetpack equipped walkers focusing on burst damage at closer ranges.
  10. Modern Ancestor

Im giving this thumbs up just for the reaction it will get from PS1 veterans. Im such veteran myself had never problems with BFR's and couldnt really understand how they ruined the game. Now allow me to remember fondly for a minute dropping from Mossie with emp nades Chaingun with ap bullets and decimator. :D

Thank you so much this moment of nostalgia was so worth it.
  11. Donaldson Jones

I'm going to entertain this thread.

The biggest thing that BFR's have working against them is that there is barely anyplace for a MBT in the game in it's current state. What I mean by that is simply there isn't a real (vehicle vs. vehicle )+ game. It is not that tankers want it like this, it is just simply too many facilities. Because of the facility density there aren't any protracted "vehicle needed" engagements. Introducing BFR's to this cycle would only add to an already saturated vehicle metagame.

Until they make distance relevant, vehicles will not be very relevant and without large tank columns to fight all there is for a BFR to do is camp a spawn just like MBT's and Libs and ESF's...that line is already too long.
  12. Riddlley

*Deep breath*

As a veteran myself, I can say that BFRs just won't happen. Its not because we don't want them. They were fun, and cool. And utterly gamebreaking. They completely killed PS1. People still remember, and it still burns fresh. The devs have already stated absolutely not.

Not only did they have jetpacks... Some had the armour of an MBT, and more firepower besides. To top it off, they had shields.(who knows why).

They went the way of the harasser in the end. Had they been implemented right, perhaps they would have had a place. It was too late by that point though.

My actual opinion about them matters little.

They were a cool idea. The implementation killed them.
    • Up x 1
  13. warmachine1

Exactly why the idea of huge walkers is off the place, we need small agile bots that can reach places other vehicles cannot (like jump over wall or onto the roof)
  14. Aesir

Mechs are an interesting idea and could potentially add to the game. The problem is the that a wrong implementation could totally screw the current and already bad Vehicle balance/gameplay as is.

Now before you all switch your ...

[IMG]

It's a weapons platform, so are Tanks, Gunships and even Buggies. The issue is that you normally build them around certain roles they need to fill on the battlefield. Something even the current combat Vehicles don't really have.

There is no reason to pull a Tank, other than padding K/D. Organized Infantry will do the job an organized Armor column can do just as good and even more.

There is no advantage to using Tanks, using Infantry in Sundy's or Gals is similar in mobility and with AV weapons pretty much packs the same punch against other Vehicles, while being able to take points and swap from AV to AA on a brink.

There isn't even a terrain reason to use Tanks, most terrain which in the real world would be considered Tank Paradise, is total deathland for Tank in PS2 because of Infantry outranging Tanks.

So before even think about how cool Mech's could be in the game ... let's first get the stuff we already have working properly ... because PS2 Tanks, aren't Tanks. And we don't need to implement Mech's, so we can have "Tanks" on two legs.

Not to say I want Tanks to be OP, because in RL Tanks also aren't OP because of limitations. Tanks are cavalry, if you boil it down. They are strong because of their combination of mobility, protection and firepower.

Certain terrains limit said mobility, certain angles of attack limit the protection, meaning all it can relay on in an more dense or urban terrain is firepower, which the current Ingame Tanks have actually quite good with some lack in AI.

So maybe ... in a few years or if SOE can't implement them properly, never.
  15. Nikushimi

I don't see why, titanfail is just COD multiplayer with NPC's (with terrible AI thrown into the mix), no surprise here considering the background of a few of the developers. The game was clearly designed for with the lowest common denominator of the console market in mind.
  16. MikeX7

If they will be solely AA oriented i will have no problem with them.
  17. Jake the Dog

MWO timber wolf...
  18. Donaldson Jones

They are called MAXs and are already in the game.
  19. PostalDude

Mechs are horrendously stupid and redundant. A tank can do their job better on the fields, and a MAX does their job better indoors.
  20. Jake the Dog

Bro I made this thread to troll the old timers from ps1 sorry for the hurt feelz...