I Miss a few Pre-lattice things.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Goden

The problem with this was that it was completely unstoppable. An outfit arriving by Sundy or Gal can be stopped by, well, shooting at them - obviously. What can you do to defend yourself against a massive pod storm? Nothing, really. They can all drop in and place beacons and your base will be taken over before you can even say "WTF?"
  2. EWarren

I miss the old wide-open Indar map with far less hills in the north, where one could drive directly from Quartz Ridge to the northern WG
    • Up x 1
  3. Frostiken

Music from Homeworld 1. Huh.
  4. Kristan

1. Umm... You mean the thing called "Redeploy"?

2. Steel rain is still possible with squad beacons.

3. But mostly that was used to avoid fights

4. Still possible with lattice. Happened a lot at Esamir lately with me
  5. huller

TRAM is dead and burried, TRAC (TR alliance command or TR allarm clocks in the good old days™)

Those were the days, never forget spec ops camp.

One day we'll tell all the newbs "back in my day..."

Also, reconstruct the roads you removed in GU10, and the bridges
  6. Winfield

So we can have those "1 entire faction camps this one last base making it impossible to cap" -fights?

Come on, you and I both know that while those fights could potentially be fun, they were not good for the game if you consider player mentality.

Yes, Spec Ops training camp fight was fun as hell but I wouldn't want to fight those kind of fights every time you fought over a continent.
  7. huller

And why not? Coninent captures used to mean something, they were bragging rights to having pushed both enemies to their warpgates and to have smashed that last stand.

The most epic fights that have ever occured in this game were last stands, and the best feeling in the game was breaking the onslaught of the caping faction on that last base and pushing out.
  8. Winfield

It's got nothing to do with a "Last Stand" if an entire faction is at a base. It just makes the base uncapturable and laggy as hell.

As I said, the fights were funny a few times but got old really quickly, especially since at the time we were dealing with massive TR Miller overpop.

Not that the overpop mattered in those "Last Stands", the VS had the least pop I think and they were easily "Last Standing" a base till the attackers got bored.

EDIT: Not to mention that most of the continent caps were night time ghostcaps, then during day the faction just had to hold 1 base to not lose the continent cap. Laughable.
  9. maxkeiser

Yes, unfortunately lattice took away all the freedom and tactical variation from the game - all the different angles of attack and different choices.

Now it's just (for most people) - follow the road, go to next base, take base, follow the road, go to next base, etc etc. All the time from the same angles and with no options.

Last night on Indar (Woodman) there were roughly 3 fight to choose from. No other options really (though of course I made my own fun by cruising around in zones we couldn't take picking off unsuspecting enemies).

I think really there either need to be a lot more lattice connections or some kind of machine that allows a group of players to create a temporary lattice so they can attack in a different way - like a sunderer with a lattice-creation unit attached to it or something (make it VERY expensive, slow moving etc and takes time to set up connection).
    • Up x 1
  10. MasterCheef

there werent many fights to choose from before...in fact, many fights were simply just avoided by platoon leaders.
  11. GhostAvatar

I remember that, it sure was fun. Unfortunately the TR and NC pubbies couldn't get along and kept killing each other (and our sunndies) instead of the VS. So it ended up with TR and NC having to take turns. Which got frustrating at times as when we started to make some headway, we got word from NCTO that they was going to make a push. So we had to pull back to regroup and sit the battle out for 30 mins at a time. But then again we didn't have the benefit of working together in the past unlike VS and NC did.

And no, TRAM no longer exists. It has kinda been replaced with two separate alternatives vying for control *cough* robin *cough*. And I would say that the 75% continent cap was a contributing factor to that. As the metagame vanished it didn't require as much coordination, as base control lost all meaning and value as did continent caps.

You dont even know the half of it. At least you guys were spread out a bit trying to attack. We had all of TR in a 50m squared area. There was points during the battle I was actually measure the game in seconds per frame.
  12. Scr1nRusher

whats happening to PS2?(interms of map strategy and player freedom)

we got to ask ourselves this.
  13. Prudentia

there is always a simple solution:
    have ideas

what if a con't capture was not 'owned' territory but 'not owned by other factions'
    a short 3 base lattice around the warpgate and you have to own the bases a lattice link further and one of the 'warpgate' bases themself. cut of territory doesn't count.

voila, cont caps are harder, no one base lag fests and there are even fights that are not only 50m around a base.

wow... it feels like... constructive feedback is better than whining :eek:
  14. UberBonisseur

Hey, hey, something is wrong with this thread.

Where is the whole "lol hex no more ghostcapping" ********** ?
    • Up x 1
  15. DQCraze

Ya picking off noobs that have no idea what just happened makes for better gameplay. Mmk
  16. P4nda

Hex was the worst thing to happen to PS2.

Squads would avoid other squads and platoons like the plague and ghost cap in circles.
    Platoons would avoid other platoons like the plague and ghost cap in circles.
    Outfits would avoid other outfits like the plague and ghost cap in circles.

The ONLY time fights happened (48+) was when either:
    1) Ghost capping forces happened to run into eachother, and decided to stay and fight for a bit.
    2) Outfits actually contacted enemy outfits to set up an event where fighting actually happened.

With the hex system, fights were essentially accidental it seemed.. which makes me lol very hard when people try to say Lattice is bad for the game. There was no coordination between outfits (because you can't tell an outfit to cover the 20 southeastern hex's from a single infiltrator), because there was no front line and there was no clear objective. You either had to fall back with the enemy's push, (usually being farmed the whole way back), or assume the enemy would do the same and let you farm them.

The hex system just totally blew loads of fun out the window. I came back only because of lattice and I can easily say Planetside 2 is a much, much better game because of it.