Bring back BFRs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jake the Dog, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Jake the Dog

Because it would serious boon to the game forget how ur tank performs against others see how it measures up to a big f'n robot. We all know if u've played ps1.
    • Up x 2
  2. DeadliestMoon

No.
    • Up x 1
  3. Jake the Dog

4. Oraculum

Yes please!

BFRs do not have to be highly mobile, shielded, jetpacking mechs of ultimate destruction.

Implemented as a light/medium vehicle with weapons to match, they could work.
  5. Jake the Dog

Exactly u cant hide them as easily as the tanks and give them stats of a medium tank. MWO ftw
  6. Jogido

no, those things were the beginning of the end of PS1.

Maybe it was not so much the robots, but the execution was terrible.
  7. Engine91

There is no role for them.

everything that a robot could do a tank could do. There is no point.
  8. Oraculum

No one is asking for a repeat of PS1 BFR implementation, all people want are for mechs to join the combined arms battlefield of Planetside once again.

Why do they need a specific role to fill? Can't they just be a bit of variety to make the game more appealing to mech fans?
  9. Jogido

Well, usually it's better that it has a point. Appealing to mech fans is probably not enough on its own. I like Mechs, but I like good game design more.
    • Up x 1
  10. Tenebrae Aeterna

Make the Lightning a BFR transformer.

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)
    • Up x 7
  11. Oraculum

In my opinion there's more of a point in implementing some kind of mech to get a completely new type of vehicle, instead of putting in empire specific buggies like they're currently working on.

The buggies will likely not be very different from the Harasser in terms of overall game mechanics (Except for Vanus' hover buggy perhaps), but they're still wanted by most of the playerbase.
  12. Wobberjockey

properly implemented, i could see some sort of return of the BFR, but that ice is VERY thin.

i'm also struggling to find a role for them. i'm thinking something not far from the walkers of BF2142, but i'm not sure what purpose they should serve.
    a lighter armor platform? but the lightning occupies that role
    a super heavy armor platform? i'm not sure the game need more force multipliers like that
    an exclusive AV/AA platform that has weak AI options? i can hear the buff tank threads already.
  13. JackD

Who cares about mech fans. In general it´s just a horrbile idea to implement stuff because there are tiny specalized groups that want stuff from other games.
    • Up x 1
  14. KnightCole

Robots in this game would be Air bait really....not that OP...
  15. Oraculum

"Who cares about mech fans" you say.

Clearly a lot of people do. Games like Titanfall, Armored Core, Chromehounds and Mechwarrior, just to name a few, were made specifically for this demographic.

The bigger the crowd SOE can tap into for Planetside the better i'd say.
  16. LibertyRevolution

I would rather have a mech than a tank.. I can't stand sitting in a tank, so boring.
  17. Hotel88A

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  18. Booface

That depends on execution, doesn't it? I mean, they could make them slower than tanks but more maneuverable/dodgy. That's a role right there. They could be made better at hill climbing and dealing with odd terrain. Maybe even able to crouch and use cover. So where tanks excel at longer ranges, you'd have sort of a heavier MAX that excels at shorter range.

They could even play with resistances a bit. Make them very vulnerable to AP rounds but resistant to most else, so you have an infantry crusher that gets wrecked by tanks, for example. There are a lot of unfilled roles in this game.
  19. CNR4806

BFRs and mechs in general are now taboos in PS2 based on how botched their implementation was back in PS1.

I don't see this being possible in a foreseeable future, so my own opinion on this is pretty much meaningless.
  20. Hexenn

I like the idea of more variety in vehicles. The only reason to consider BFR for that role is they're a nice change of paced from wheeled vehicles, and there's some precedent in the franchise. The problem is it's a bad precedent for reasons unrelated to what BFR actually are. I'm definitely in favor of it if you can find the right niche for it to fill. The problem is finding that niche. You can't give it a jetpack due to base design, and you can't make it too big for the same reason. Making it a super heavy vehicle is redundant and counterproductive when there's already so much vehicle spam. If anything I would say light vehicles could use some love. I'd make the Lightning empire specific to TR and add two new light vehicles, a stubby but fast little BFR walker for NC and and a hovering little beam platform for VS. That's personal preference though, I've always hated the idea of a one man tank.