[Suggestion] Give LA access to scout rifles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Akashar, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Koopak

I like the "light rifles" idea fine, but really for the LA a high velocity weapon would have to be pretty pathetic ttk wise to keep the class from having to much ranged power. Meanwhile nerfing the velocity on existing battle rifles will utterly destroy their value to HAs and that ain't a lot of value because they are still a little to slow in speed and dont have the damage to compensate.
  2. Gadamlu

you know what? i know longer care anymore, go ahead.
  3. NoctD

I'd like to voice my support for this as well - please let LA's have access to scout rifles. They're not even the semi-auto snipers, much less compared to a BASR.

I'd buy the NS-30 Vandal in a heartbeat if this change was made.
  4. Wobberjockey

after thinking about this more, i think i'd rather the LA's not get Scout rifles

they should instead get some sort of accurized carbine all their own.

that way if sniping from the rooftops became a big problem, the fix would be far easier.

if you just gave la's scout rifles and they need to be nerved down the line, the infiltrator would take the brunt of it, since the LA already has a formidable CQB weapon selection.
  5. Epicstrat

I guess this is my issue. I like the scout rifles a lot and while I don't disagree with LAs having some long range weaponry I really don't want the scout rifles nerfed if they turn out to be OP on light assults. That's why I proposed a "light rifle" class for LAs only. That way we can give the LAs the range they want and not risk crippling a weapon class for the infiltrator.

Yes LA should have a semi-auto ranged option, no I don't want it to shared with infiltrator.
  6. Donaldson Jones

So lemme get this straight..you want to give one class...

Access to any area geographically on the map.
    The ability to one shot a Sunderer..
    A grenade which effectively shuts down opposition for 5 secs.
    And give them a long range option?

No.
  7. necrolamington

Gets popcorn
    • Up x 4
  8. Decian

One shot a sunderer? Do LAs have some sort of super launcher I don't know about? C4 does not one shot a sunderer...doesn't even 2 shot it.

And really, the Flash grenade is your reason behind claiming LAs are OP? Dude, half the time you are lucky if it doesn't bug out and flash you.
    • Up x 1
  9. Koopak

Guys, hes clearly just interested in inciting a fight rather than joining the conversation, ignore him.

I'm not against introducing new light rifles, this suggestion has a lot of merit, but i don't see the harm in introducing scout rifles until said rifles are made, it would give time to see if worries about LAs with scout rifles being op are substantiated, and it would provide a test bed for how the new light rifles need to be tweaked to work for the LA.

That said I do fear the "i bought scout rifle for LA and now i cant use it on LA, gimme money back!" rage, but perhaps soe can set a note that any scout rifles bought in a certain window for SC will have their SC refunded the scout rifle removed from their account when the light rifles are added in so that people can respend that SC on light rifles if they prefer. *shrug* just a thought.
  10. Donaldson Jones

Fine hyberbole aside.

LA 's have access to C-4, shotguns, a jetpack.

If you give LAs a long range option then why not give Infils a 3 shot shotgun?

My point being a LA
    Can equip to take out a Max an infil cannot.

Give an infil a short range anti max or something that can at least disable a vehicle for a bit and I can buy into this idea.
  11. Freedym Fry

What does any of that to do with scout rifles? Or any rifles?

Besides, I think you're thinking of battle rifles. Nobody thinks that's a good idea either. Scout rifles aren't long range at all. It's a small but meaningful extension.

I wouldn't want to see scout rifles nerfed for infiltrators either, but as they are now I think they're a good fit for fleshing out the LA. I wouldn't expect a nerf, but that's totally unpredictable and not always logical. Hopefully a scout equivalent will make it in the LA patch. Actually, if they just do a copy/paste and give it a different name, I'd be happy with that. Then they can change one later without changing the other.
    • Up x 1
  12. Tenebrae Aeterna

There have been hints from the development team regarding vehicle hacking.
  13. Akashar

Why not both? I agree with both solutions, but the "easy" way may be to make rifles possible for LA and infil at first, and I totally agree about avoiding nerfs coming from the use LA have of these rifles to the infiltrators... Why not having 2 "version" like the saron for harassers and magriders, for example? I could buy the vandal 2 times if needed, but I think it is just fine as it is now! If we make 2 versions, the infiltrator one doesn't have to be nerfed if the LA one needs to...
  14. TheBloodEagle

The whole point of the class is to be a flanker, not sharp shooter...
  15. DerEchteSpatz

I'm against it. Although I personally would like it, it would lead to thousands of cries for nerfs against LAs.
    If I would have to choose between not nerfing the jetpacks and some scout rifle, I would always choose the jetpack as it is at the moment (although it really needs a buff itself at the moment in my oppinion).
  16. Koopak

Personally I think a lot of people are looking at this all wrong, firstly, someone suggested making a new weapon group that's just a variation of scout rifles, literally the same guns, maybe slightly different models, and then it can be balanced as necessary.

Anything can be balanced guys, this isn't a question of balance, its a question of, assuming its balanced, would you enjoy using this mechanic and would you enjoy the game play the resulted from having to counter it?

We can debate balance all day, and while I personally think there is no big issues due to the slow projectile velocity and slow TTK, one might disagree with em, the real question here though in terms of balance, is what would the stats say, and we don't know. Truth is I'm hard pressed to see how giving LAs a semi automatic rilfe that starts as a scout rifle but could be rebalanced as the devs see fit, would be unbalance-able.
  17. DeadliestMoon

No, this is a bad suggestion.
  18. Silvermyst

I've long though medics should get assault rifles, engineers should get carbines, light assaults should get both. That'd give them a little more capability to deal damage at range without really eating into the infiltrator's territory.
  19. chriss2534

this would be a great thing for people who want to get to better sniping this is more than likely balanced out by the light assults unablelity to turn invisible
  20. Erendil

LA's already have accurized carbines: The Pulsar C (VS), Razor (NC), AC--X11 (NC), and T5 AMC (TR).

I can guarantee you that LAs sniping from rooftops will never become a big problem because 1) they can't go invisible and thus will be obvious targets, and 2) we have enemy snipers, tanks, aircraft, and LAs around to keep them in check.

I of course am all for giving LAs access to either Battle Rifles or semi-auto Scouts. Either weapon would be fine w/ me since they both have the same effective range - although I prefer the feel of the Battle Rifle's action. It would give LAs more variety to their role on the battlefield - something which is sorely needed. It would also add more variety to the battefield, which to me is always a good thing. And quite frankly it would be damn fun to do without being OP'd because of the aforementioned enemy snipers, tanks, and aircraft.
    • Up x 1