Thoughts on Nano-Armor Cloak changes

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by PsyStorm, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Xenryx

That's because SMGs on Infiltrators are ********, not because of the cloak itself. Our pistols have a tiny bit of higher TTK than the SMGs, but the gripping point with SMGs is that they're easy as all hell to use.

Your precious HA can't stack it because the HA can still shoot his gun while his shield is active, and would've had 2273 effective hp if it actually stacked. It has 1819 now, whilst the Infiltrator would still have lower than that if it could stack, at 1731 effective hp, and again, can't shoot it's gun.
    • Up x 1
  2. m44v

I always used nano armor with ASC, the stacking with nanoweave was obviously going to disappear, quit whining.
    • Up x 1
  3. PsyStorm

Yeah you definitely can't compare it to a Heavy Assault. The mechanics are completely different and we can't do damage while it's active so it's more of a defensive ability than offensive.
  4. Xenryx

...and the "obvious that it was going to get removed, quit whining" comment contributes to the discussion how exactly?
  5. DocteurVK

Well, I really can't see why we get all this whining...

I mean, even when NW stacked with nano-cloak, you couldn't defend yourself, so when spotted you'd be shot either way...

Now, we have access to better diversification, try out ASC or Adren pump with the Nano cloak and make your opinion after ?

Personally, I never used NW + Nano-cloak (I really thought both didn't stack, so unnecessary to use both) and prefer getting ASC or Adren pump.

And also, we get additional resistances to Basilisks and ESFs noseguns, so I like the deal ...

Of course, it's only my opinion.
  6. PsyStorm

It's just a bit upsetting to spend so many hours certing for things only to have them rendered useless. I would like my certs back to put somewhere useful instead of wasting so many of them.
  7. m44v

in the same way that claiming that because you don't have a stacking bonus for one suit slot it makes nano armor useless. This whole thread is pointless.
    • Up x 1
  8. starlinvf

Its not like the cert supply is in jeopardy. The Nano-armor was supposed to be designed to be a hit and run cloak, covering your escape.... but this was long before SMGs, back when the Scout rifles were still uncompetitive. Infils are effectively restricted to sniping, which nano-armor doesn't provide tangible benefits.

The problem is a conflict of function. The Purpose of the cloak is to get you into ambush position undetected, where any threat become zero threat once killed. Once detected however, the only way to escape is to neutralize a local threat..... at which point cloaks aren't as effective. The odd exception is the stalker cloak, allowing you wait out your opposition. But once your presence is known, chances are you're dead.

Having given some thought, one viable alternative I can see is allowing the infil is to actively regenerate shields while the cloak is up. This doesn't impact their standard health pool, but does conceptually improve survivability for aggressive hit and run by shortening down time from minor damage. You then give hunter cloak a different non-combat centric utility, like rolling adrin pump into it, to be used as a default. Cleaver players can leverage the speed for all types of activities, including CQC, nano-armor highly effective for aggressive infils, and Stalker cloak for sneaky ones.
  9. Plague Rat

I was an early adopter of NAC, long before it's timings were adjusted to make it more useable, and the vast majority sentiment was to avoid it like a leper. I've seen it change from it's earliest, what some would consider 'unusable,' state, so I really can't be pissed at all by this change because I've tread rougher waters.

I never could see a single logical reason why they would allow nanoweave to stack with NAC when they made an explicit point to disallow it's stacking with HA resist shield, just as it didn't stack with the DR reduction from Flak Armor. This made NAC+NW an aberration to an established norm, and because of it, I figured an eventual fix/nerf was practically an inevitability. Especially with how the moment it gets recognized, and a ridiculous amount of people started certing into that had until that point almost entirely ignored it. The over-buffed shuffle.

But all the same, it's something that was left in game for too long and people have been mislead and screwed by it.

The people that have used NAC long term won't be terribly effected by this. It may be an annoyance, but that will pass when they recognize it's just a return to a return to a that they had already decided it was worth investing in.

Unfortunately that leaves the people that jumped on the bandwagon for the DR stacking pretty burned, but hopefully they'll still find NAC useful and worth using. At the end of the day, you're only losing 12-13% DR because of the multiplicative stacking. You're still getting a 35% DR at max rank and 25% below that to nanoweaves 20%. But more importantly NAC provides it's DR to headshots, and since it's not terribly difficult to drill headshots on a cloaker when their silhouette is lit up like a Christmas tree from the incoming fire, it's still a really nice boost to survivability.
    • Up x 1
  10. Xenryx

It doesn't? 15% extra resistance over the already 20% you get from Nanoweave is worth the way worse uptime of Nano-Armor Cloak? I've seen noone give a good argument as to why they shouldn't stack except the "wasn't intended" statement... Yea, the reverse thrust maneuver on ESFs wasn't intended either, yet still is in the game now. THAT is a pointless argument.
  11. Biddion

This change doesn't make me want to stop using nano-armor. It makes me want to stop using nanoweave, which in my opinion, isn't really useful to infiltrator. If you find yourself needing it to survive gun fire exchange time after time for nanoweave to be beneficial, then you must be doing something wrong (probably over-extending yourself). The speed of adrenaline pump or the quick recovery of advanced shield comp. are more viable options, not to mention the added functions to emp grenades. As you can see nanoweave is not the best option out there, unless you want to be Rambo.
  12. Jawarisin

I know I already said that in another post, but as your stats denote, you're definetly not using NAC correctly anyways. Maybe you should revisit your approach on the subject.

That depends on how long and what are you looking for exactly. I like my game fast paced, I like to hold unto a 17k+ score per hour at least, ideally 21k+. I also do like to appear in front of two heavies and solo them both, showing them who's who. ASC doesn't allow me to do this, but Nanoweave armor will let me win that fight against two heavies. It might even let me handle a third if I got the drop on them.

But, I used to have the same opinion than you, hence why I got ASC maxed also. I tottaly understand your point, the problem is that reality is often different. You can't just be the ultimate sneaky guy. If there's any competent infiltrator, there's going to be darts outs, and so on so forth, you're bound to get shot. If most of your deaths are due to bullets, you might want to reconsider Nanoweave.
    • Up x 1
  13. PsyStorm

I did some testing on the old Nano-Armor cloaking and Nanoweave. With a gun doing 143 damage to the chest area here are the numbers.
    7 shots naked
    8 shots with Nanoweave rank 5
    10 shots with Nano-Armor cloak and no Nanoweave armor
    14 shots with Nano Armor cloak and Rank 5 Nanoweave

This was done prior to the changes to Nanoweave but I think it should still be relevant. I will retest nano-armor when I find a partner. I also want to note that they stacked additively unlike what I have read. 24 shots witha 143 damage weapon is 2002 damage.
  14. Jawarisin

I think you derped there
  15. PsyStorm

Ok the Nanoweave is still the same 8 shots at rank 5. The nerf to the stacking means we take 4 less bullets now when cloaked. Nano-Armor cloaking will allow you to take 10 bullets while cloaked and defenseless and Nanoweave rank 5 you die at 8 shots compared to 7 without it. I think they could fix this by buffing nano-armor a bit more since we are defenseless while cloaked, are lit up like a christmas tree for all to see and can't fight back. Losing those 4 bullets to the nerf is definitely something I am feeling.
  16. DeadliestMoon

By telling you to quit whining?
  17. Xenryx

No need for those calculations bro, just calculating the effective HP with certain loadouts is enough to give you a comparison. Besides, pretty much everyone knows 48% resist (which is what you would get stacking Nanoweave + Nano-Armor) pretty much doubles your hp, aka doubles amount of bullets you can take.

The 35% that Nano-Armor grants by itself only gives you 1,54x effective hp compared to the 1,25x of Nanoweave, and getting a 0,29 extra for having a way worse cloak up-time is not worth it. This is exactly why you feel like a wet noodle with the nerf now.

I didn't know said discussion was about the topic of whining now, I'm terribly sorry for my incompetence.
  18. PsyStorm

lol yeah big derp. I meant 14 shots of course.
  19. PsyStorm

Yes I know but I like to test things with actual test not just numbers. That is why I made the video to document it to be absolutely sure. What I am saying is it was not 48% but rather 55% reduction to damage, unlike the wrel video. I did reply on that video and I made my own to show that you could take 14 shots. 143 - 55% is 64.35 x 14 is 909.
  20. DocteurVK

Well I think you highlighted the whole point :

By design, I don't understand how a squishy infiltrator should be able to reliably kill two heavies when jumping in front of them...

Unless they are total newbies or you have the jump on them, you should not be able to get them both face to face.

The eternal problem NW had was it always was the "universal" slot for every class, making the other options pointless, even if they have their uses !

NW should give you a slight advantage over non-NW players, but it shouldn't allow you to kill the Tankier class Face to face 2V1 with the squishier class. With skill and luck, you should win the fight with almost 0HP, but you seem to say that you could just come around the corner, unload on them, keep going with only a flesh wound.

When it stacked with HA resist, it was better option than Flak itself even VS explosives !

Going face to face with an HA when you are a squishy infiltrator is suicidal, IMO, or at least it should be...