ESSR first impressions, problems, and Poor NC!

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by SnipersUnion, Feb 28, 2014.

1. SnipersUnion

It seems after doing a bit of reading that a lot of players were expecting the new ESSR to simply be a "tier 4 BASR" - which I am glad they are not. Being empire specific they were obviously planned to for-fill a niche role, and therefore play-style, built around each factions unique trait, and I was eager to see SOE's creativity hit live.

The VS - with the phaseshift, were bound to get something with a semi auto option as they are the only faction to have no bullet drop in that department as a unique trait. So the semi auto function is combined with the idea of a BASR OHK headshot. Now SOE, can't just hand a faction two guns for the price of one, so there has to be a drawback. In the case of the VS, being based around technology - the charge up mechanic.

Having a semi auto that can OHK with unlimited ammo and minimal bullet drop is a big deal. It makes sense that there should be a mechanic involving the way the gun fires to offset this. The charge up mechanic is not a bad idea, and I think it is more than manageable whilst not making the gun broken after getting used to it. However, not having the ability to charge WHILST cloaked is a huge disadvantage, and one that will cost you your life against any half decent sniper that has you acquired. It also like most ranged loadouts, have you depending on your sidearm for close encounters.

The TRAP for the TR, is again a combination of weapons suited to the factions trait, in this case, high fire rate and lots of bullets. The TRAP is therefore a combination of semi auto and scout rifle, which makes sense to me. Since many people have made a pun out of the name TRAP - I'm going to make one for the amount of TR whine on forumside at the moment, TeaRs! Sorry to jest comrades but most of the complaints I see are from people expecting a bolt action rifle, not realizing as I'm sure most of us who main infiltrator do that this combo is nothing to be looked down on... and I personally feel there isn't too much wrong with the TR's arsenal in general.

The main problem with this rifle is that it gives us the ability to do two weapons jobs at an ok level, whereas not doing either of them as well as a scout or semi auto would on their own. There will be situations, especially in the open, where having the options this gun provides will be very useful, and I personally think it shows the most promise out of all the ESSR's, despite being an avid BASR man myself. How often those situations appear though is a different story. Another issue is the scopes, but I think the <6x was the right choice. Although what exactly does SOE have against adding unique/new scopes to the game? I would love to see this weapon have an exclusive 3/4x HS/NV. That would give it a little more identity and an incentive to be picked over a scout or semi.

Poor NC. SOE never get anything on release right for you do they? :( As with the other two factions, the NC's faction trait is Shotguns High damage at a low rate of fire, and yes, originally the NC ESSR was also a shotgun. Now if this forum has taught us ANYTHING - It's that the world will end if infiltrators ever get their hands on shoguns. To be fair, the very notion of a shotgun sniper rifle does sound a little silly, even on paper. It would seem SOE agreed and back-tracked on the idea. (I'm sure that forumside claiming the guns stats OP before it even got to live or ever actually playing it for themselves probably had a massive hand in that decision also)

I did laugh when I saw people refer to the 'Fail-jack' and I have to agree... although I feel "Lag-shot" is better. There is nothing NC about it, apart from the fact that it packs a big punch. The problem with this is, using any T3 BASR will get you a headshot and a kill, so that extra 50dmg it's packing, is totally pointless! We can't hand out a gun that OHK's if it hit's ANYWHERE on the body, so it still takes two body shots to kill an opponent, again, rendering that extra firepower totally pointless unless our targets have already taken damage from somewhere else. But what about the velocity? The lack of bullet drop? It's impressive on paper I'll give you that, but we're not sniping targets in space, it's 300m - render distance. It's more than easy enough to cater for bullet drop and speed with the Longshot, which also re-chambers quicker.

Even after ALL this, SOE neuter it further, by adding a delay to the firing of the bullet. This has a huge effect on hitting moving targets and the overall feel of the gun. The VS mechanic is at least a little different and usable, whereas it's hard to tell whether or not your game is actually lagging with this rifle. The gun ends up being a slightly buffed T3 BASR with added lag, and it simply doesn't do enough to justify it's existence as an alternative sniper option as it is I'm afraid.

SOE hit a brick wall with this one and I think it was perfectly summed up by their initial weapon description

"NC10 Bolt Precision Pro Description Placeholder - This gun hit hard me like hard hit make dude dead"

Translates to "Other than give more damage to a weapon that already has the potential to kill with one shot to the head, but not kill with one shot to any where else on one's person, we have absolutely no idea what the NC faction trait actually means outside of shotguns - and are now totally out of ideas as to what to do with this ranged projectile launcher."

To be fair, they could fix the lag and make this rifle a pinpoint accurate super fast firing weapon, which would be acceptable, but it's STILL not really NC is it... So who has the answer then? What should the Railjack be doing that it isn't?

I like the look of all the rifles, particularly the TRAP and the Lag-shot, but that's just personal preference. To sum up, I feel the same way about these rifles as I do the update in general - RUSHED!

BUT - I have faith (honest) SOE will fix these concerns in the future.

Eager to hear all your thoughts, gripes, suggestions etc.
    • Up x 4
  2. Bloodchain80

First time ever posting here on the fourms but my main is inf.
    I really enjoy the new TR ESR, and the NC one is just a tier 4 rifle.
    I'm sorry to say but NC didnt get hit the hardest because now its fixed there is no delay what so ever. With the VS ESR its one of those things where you have to have someone afk to get a head shot,. I consider this gun the AFK gun. I agree that we cant have unlimited ammo but the velocity gun, makes the ability to hit moving people ridiculously hard.
  3. starlinvf

There was never any question that the PTS Railjack was OP. When the NC says something of theirs is OP, you bet your *** its unbalanced as hell. But the problem here is that the this release isn't one of equivalent offerings, and its the exact same argument leveraged about the Bolt Driver being a default weapon.

These weren't supposed to be T4 rifles, even if everyone thinks that. They were originally designed as utility weapons, and later refined into the polarizing versions of "things" we already have in our arsenal. In all honesty, the VS are the ones that got something that made sense. They now have a multi situational rifle in exchange for a shorter alpha range.... which isn't bad trade off if you consider the tactics used for both SASRs and BASRs.

The TRAP is a BR/Scout hybrid, and offers a playstyle not normally considered by TR. The viability is still being tested, but feedback has been largely jaded by expectations of T4 boltaction. I'll be checking it this weekend, but if its anything like the SABR, the TR are again dismissing a powerful weapon.

The Railjack is a mess BECAUSE they went the T4 route. The shot delay is band-aid fix, and doesn't really address the underlying problem of the velocity and damage bonus it has over the Longshot. And I expect in time that NC will eventually figure how to compensate for the difference in handling, and about 2 weeks from now railjacks will be topping the TR's "NC OP" list.
    • Up x 2
  4. Lakora

Honestly I would of been happy if they made it a Semi-Auto Rifle and kept the "shotgun mode" where it removes 1 ammo per pellet, so to say. So if it had 10 ammo per mag n 5 pellets it would of been 2 shotgun shots before reloading. Ofc due to the magnetic field working differently for propelling several shrapnels at once instead of a single one the damage of the shotgun mode would of lower to a 2 shot kill on most infantry. (Akin to most standard shotguns)

Just my two cents that would of basically made all the rifles unique in some manor.
  5. lazylink

I'm sorry but this is wrong. Right now you need to lead the target MORE for the Railjack for LESS TTK than the EM4 Longshot. This means you have to predict where the target will be further in the future, which is inherently random and impossible to predict perfectly. The ONLY advantage that Railjack has over the Longshot is that you don't have to compensate for bullet drop over long distances
  6. necrolamington

That would be true if the railjack forced you to hold your crosshair perfectly still as soon as you fired it. Luckily you can still aim while it is in its shot delay phase and you can therefore continue to lead your target.
  7. DevDevBooday

The gun is ludicrously OP without the lag, if you removed it the other factions would eat NC alive on the forums.
  8. Tentakewls

Phaseshift is a pretty crappy weapon. I trialed it today and I actually wished I was using the Specter a few times, which is saying a lot. Phaseshift basically has the worst aspects of both semi auto and bolt action. Infinite ammo is useless if the weapon that shoots said ammo is bad. I'm sure as hell not getting it. I also don't get why they changed the name, Shade was a lot more fitting since all of the VS snipers are named as ghosts and suchs.
  9. DevDevBooday

There is a reason why Infils no longer have access to shotguns, ever wondered why? It was OP as all hell.
  10. DevDevBooday

Two things

1. You dont need to lead more because you can still adjust your aim after clicking to fire.
    2. Its OHK meaning that the the TTK for all BASRs is 0

Sorry, but your argument is invalid.
  11. iller

This thread makes me wonder..... would it necessarily be game-breaking, if the Railkjack was basically the AWP?
    IOW: what if it COULD kill with a Torso Shot? ...as long as that target was MOVING???
    (not a leg shot though, extremity hitboxes have built in damage reduction)

Obviously anything running Nanoshields would be exempted including nanocloaked INFs. But what if it COULD 1-hit most other moving targets? Would that be a proper reward for its weird closer-range handicapping due to the firing delay?
  12. Lakora

N SMGs aren't? With shotguns they at least had to get up breathing down my neck. Not 10m away. :D
    • Up x 1
  13. Dcrd

Imo railjack should oneshot people with bodyshots, but have longer delay time.

As for phaseshift, I can say I got much more comfortable with this gun, but still, it heat up much, much less, it needs lesser recoil, and, probably, more damage if it will fire at the same speed (to 3-shot everything at any range nanoweaved or not).

Right now it's 5 SASR or 2 BASR shots which doesn't leave you a second chance if you miss, and you can never kill more then 1 guy unless you headshot someone. Some guys wasn't dead after 2 basr shots that means you probably won't kill your target in one clip, which is horrible, also HAs with overshield are unkillable for this gun, unless you spam headshots, since it will simply overheat faster.

Right now vandal is a good replace for spectre, with more attachments, which allow you to build your loadout for different situations, which kills reliably with 4 shots, but phaseshift is a downgrade from the stock SASR - much less TTK in semi auto mode, much lesser magazine size, lower bullet speed, about the same damage per shot. So, it must be buffed.

Also, Shotgun infiltrators never were OP, it's just a couple of videos of people running around with shotguns, killing clueless blind idiots, that made this opinion popular. Current SMGs we have are much more "op" then shotguns ever were.
  14. Xenryx

Maybe a 999dmg Railgun (I refuse to use the name "Railjack") no matter the range with a longer rechamber time? I honestly can't think of much else that they could give us that would be balanced since you can't go more "higher dmg" than a 1HKO and 1HKO to anywhere other than the head would just be ********.

Or maybe an ESSR that can see through vehicles and can shoot people inside of it? Giving "Armor Piercing" a whole new meaning!

I would've rather had shotguns on INFs than SMGs, I don't even feel bad for getting killed by an INF SMG since it's so easy to just spray that weapon in the general direction of the enemy and get a kill. SMGs aren't even much better than our secondaries, they're just MUCH easier to use since you don't have to time your clicks like with Pistols, and the RoF on them is so high that misses don't matter as much.
  15. ToastyMan

I don't want to see the current railjack changed in any way, I want it to be scrapped and started from scratch. I feel that the entire idea of the railjack was flawed from the beginning.
  16. pnkdth

I am inlove with the TRAP. It is a mid range destroyer, and extremely capable at shorter range with 3xburst. Took awhile to get used to it but when it happens... wow, such accuracy, many kills, wow.

I run with 2xReflex and forward grip(this makes a very large impact on accuracy with this weapon).
    • Up x 1
  17. Bape

Longshot > Failjack plain and simple
    both OHK 300m apparently the failjack can go 400m to bad infantry don't render pass 300m :rolleyes:
    The delay makes it even worse leading target it a joke of a weapon

Failjack suppose to be an empire specific weapon yet im here still using my longshot because it just better in every way and still get the same results.
  18. iller

It's actually more like 18m ... I measured it on the VR room... Almost no recoil (atleast compared to NC guns, lol). Easily kills most targets at that early mid-range in under 1 second and the ease of controlling it means it "tracks" just as well against strafing targets. IE: There's no real downside to any of the SMG other than those 3 with the smaller clip size.

Makes no sense either... every other game since the days of CS.6 always had wide base spread on SMGs or shotgun style falloff even if you ADS them. The only reason you ran them is because they didn't have a lot more "bloom" when you strafed while firing them like most AR's had. Planetside SMGs OTOH have like 1/3rd the spread of the SAW nomatter how you're moving, and can use silencers. lol k, gg

What's their downside? They suck at 80m? ...what DOESN'T?? (besides scout rifles I guess)

Speaking of the scout rifles... I've run in to 2 TR's now who figured out how to use the TRAP. I was mad bro. ....nothing I could do.... I still don't understand what they're doing exactly. They're almost as i-Win button as SMG infs who charge sniping nests while not being stupid enough to step on betties either. (infiltrating Sniper nests is the Stalker's job, stop taking our JAWBS!!!)
  19. Hoki

Really shouldn't be compared to BA or semi-auto snipers.

2-shot burst is where its a scout rifle at short - mid range.

You aren't making double headshots at long range, thus it stops being a scout rifle and becomes a battle rifle at long range.

I'm only like 180 kills into it, but to me feels like hybrid SABR/BR/scout. No part of it really deserves to be compared to a sniper rifle. No more than a 200 - 167 damage AR deserves to be compared to a sniper rifle.
    It is very adequately dubbed the super-sabr.
  20. Dcrd

Scout rifles, Battle rifles, SASRs - are all the same things, the only difference is attachments.

That's excluding Artemis/SOAS/Whatever there is for NC.