[Suggestion] Rocket Launcher Upgrades

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Omniprezent, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Ceskaz

I love everything you wrote there. It's just what I should be able to do with the Phoenix
  2. Armchair

What if the phoenix operated off of a large magazine instead of reloading rounds individually? Place a large fire delay equivalent to the reload speed of most other launchers. That way a phoenix operator would be able to immediately fire a second round after guiding a round to maximum range, but he would still be restricted to standard rates of fire at close range.
  3. KnightCole

The ability to strap optics on our tubes yo!

Oh, and also as a tool item, Range finder, not sure how it helps, but yeah....range finder.
    • Up x 1
  4. Zerala

The Idea of multiple warheads, in conjunction with the resource cost system, is very balanced imo, though HE warheads would need to be implemented very carefully.

some ideas I have include:

Light Carbon Frame- faster shoulder time with an increase to movement speed while aiming. less accurate hipfire, maybe slight reduction to velocity, say 25m/s.

Reinforced Frame- Slower shoulder time with an increase to accuracy whilst moving/hipfire. additional downside might be movement speed reduction.

Aditional Venting- The launcher is modified with additional gas vents, clearing the chamber faster, allowing for faster reloading.

Closed Venting- The launcher is modified with less venting, increasing gas pressure and velocity of the projectile, but causes the chamber to clear slower, rate of fire is reduced.
    • Up x 1
  5. TheKhopesh

I see you actually have some use with it.

And yeah, you hit the nail on the head.
    You did miss it's extreme need for having the missile be range based, rather than on a timer til puffing out of existence.
    With it's being limited to 290 meters or less, it should be able to turn and move without suffering loss to range (Often times when you must steer around obstacles it decreases the range by 50-70 meters, leaving only 240-260m of it's already limited range!).

-An afterburner so it doesn't take over 12 seconds to guide the shot (As well, the instant you go into camera mode you should be able to jam on the burner, so that you can hit things like harassers and magriders that are burning when they're within 30 meters).
    -Better maneuverability so it can hit stuff other than deployed sundies and slow moving tanks (Even the magrider can escape it with ease if the driver is even somewhat experienced on how).
    -Reload could stand to be a well rounded 4.5 seconds (down from 4.7).

The one thing that I would like to see rather than missiles acting like a dumbfire after exiting the missile would be this:
    After firing a shot, you should be able to exit/enter the missile like a vehicle that you constantly have access to.
    So you could fire it, exit, move behind cover, and re-enter.
    This would allow you to get some decent angles like you used to be able to by jumping, firing mid-air, and falling back behind cover.
    They removed ADS while airborne, and that removed a critical part to the phoenix' ability on the battlefield.

Now days if you are not in a safe room, you're either so close that you'll be killed, or too far to hit anything.
    Most vehicles are so far from decent cover that they're on the outer edges of it's range.
    To regain the ability to take cover safely would allow you to use it more effectively on the battle field, without being forced to stand out there with your junk flapping in the breeze while a fleet of enemy armor stares at you down a thermal scope with OHK artillery.

I also wouldn't mind having an anti-armor firing mode.
    As-is, Phoenix range cannot be extended past ~290 meters, because the engine would require you endure a loading screen if you were to exceed that range.

But, if you based your in-missile rendering on the person's body, you could allow that missile to travel up to ~1,000 meters.
    It simply wouldn't be able to hit infantry past ~300m, but armor could be hit at your max armor render distance.
    (Obviously, SOE could limit that down to whatever they felt was necessary. But seeing as how the Lancer is an AV sniper rifle that can hit armor at nearly 1,000 meters, and the Striker can hit targets at up to ~550m (if it has locked and fired within 300, the missiles can continue after aircraft, which can get a great distance away in the time it takes to catch up), a ~600m distance with a toggle of the firemode would be nice.
    And with an afterburner, you could actually hit the target before they saw your, turned, and fled (Something they can currently do with ease if they are outside 150m).
  6. Corvus Corax

I'm sure it could, I just wouldn't know anything about it since you need to maintain lock and falling off the tiniest rock will make you break it. Which makes the Striker even more useless than the Phoenix is.
  7. TheKhopesh

Oh yeah, no, I own both the AE versions and standard versions of all three ESRL's.

-The Phoenix is bad, but manageable. Hitting a libby only happens when they get lazy, hitting an ESF only happens if the pilot is incompetent or is so new to PS2 he knows nothing about how to pilot yet.
    The only targets you are likely to kill are engie turrets (AKA "Phoenix Candy"), Harassers, MBT's taking (or about to take) heavy fire, infantry, or a sundy that is abandoned.
    -The Lancer is bad against heavy ground armor, but accurate/fast enough to be useful against maxes, aircraft, and harassers.
    -The Striker is just bad.

I had a post that pretty much went over how to fix it, i'll find what I wrote there and copy it below:

Striker
    -Change firemode to 3x burst (With a slight pause, like the jackhammer).
    -Change to 9 rounds per reload (Re-adjust damage per missile so that the striker still does the same damage per mag, with the same number of reloads).
    -Up fire rate to allow emptying the mag in the time it takes to fire 3 shots from the stiker currently (To rebalance the constant line-of-sight mechanic)
    -Increase reload speed to offset higher DPS caused by the fire rate increase.

-*Possibly* Decrease lock on time by 0.25 seconds.
  8. GaBeRock

I'd see striker as worthwile if it had an alternate firing mode where those rockets are shot like grenades (no lockon needed, but a good deal of time between rocket shots, and a massive arc). Vanu have lasher for Area suppression, but TR/VS have nothing, and this is how I'd suggest evening it out on the TR side.
  9. Dr Baralax

Ohhh that's what it's for I just thought it was a rave gun, capable of injecting the will to party with extreme prejudice. Makes total sense now, explains why everyone starts moving wildly when I set the dancefloor on fire.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

10. lawn gnome

that would be way too powerful. most vehicles already have issues with situational awareness. having an effectively silenced AT weapon would almost certainly be OP.
    NO. no stun rounds. heavies already get concussion grenades, we don't need a rocket launcher that can do that for free and resupply off of an ammo pack.

it has already been mentioned, but i will also throw my vote in for optics.

i only skimmed the thread so i don't know if it has already been suggested, but i think a mod for the lock on rocket launchers that extends the effective range and replaces the lock on with a laser guidance system. so the heavy can simply guide shots in on targets that are too far away for a lock. you know the BS that engineer AV turrets got when they decided they wanted engineers to be like heavies except with infinite ammo and limitless range without having to worry about leading shots or any sort of shot drop (engi AV turrets need a hardcore nerfing)
  11. MajiinBuu

Laser guided rockets? And you said a suppressor would be OP :rolleyes:
  12. lawn gnome

engineers get an infinite number of them so why can't a heavy get 4 or 5? i am even suggesting we limit the effective range of the laser guide (unlike the engi turret BS).
  13. khai

I'd like to see a selection of sights especially for the dumbfire weapons.

Won't happen but squad based system with a designator and long range guided rockets.
    • Up x 1
  14. lawn gnome

give the designator to the infiltrator so that his breaking and entering abilities are useful for more than farming kills and griefing capture points. he gets assist points and the heavy gets accurate shots from a safe-ish location.
  15. vilehydra

A ******* LEAF SIGHT. JEBUS CHRIST
  16. lawn gnome

a what? your heated gibberish has left me confused. wtf is a leaf sight?
  17. vilehydra

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  18. lawn gnome

ah, ok. yes, i will take one for my decimator.
  19. TheBloodEagle

Probably pointed out already but the TR ML-7 sight doesn't make sense. You're basically stretching your head onto the top of the launcher...
  20. johnway

I would like to see some upgrade options for the launcher, but my concern is that all we will get is just rocket spamming and everyone running around using that as a instant win button in the first encounter or something. I wouldn't mind scopes or a laser targeter to improve accuracy of dumb fire rockets or something.