2/27 Patch: new ESR's, lots of buffs to SASR's

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Mustarde, Feb 27, 2014.

1. klor

I've always liked the Impetus, I'm glad to see it getting some love. For a while it was, in my opinion, the best option for a close/mid range infiltrator. I took a break from the game to wait for the class update that was promised so very long ago... I guess they split it into pieces and delivered it slowly over time. Seems like there is nearly enough to justify playing again but I've almost given up hope on a Mag-scatter, Melee Boost or some form of up close and personal infiltrator.
  2. MrMurdok

Gone are the days of odd tells from new players about fully automatic sniper rifles.

On the flip side, I got a shiny new gun to aurax, which, if judging by my time on the PTS, is a direct buff to my playstyle.
  3. Nakar

The Vandal is crazy. I almost don't care about the ESSRs because of that thing. I say "almost" because the TRAP seems pretty crazy and I want to take it for a spin.
  4. Crayv

I have played around in the VR with the new rifles for a bit.

The Railjack while certainly powerful felt kinda awkward to use.

The Phaseshift: This thing charges so fast that if you start charging and holding your breath at the same time you probably won't even notice. I noticed this thing doesn't seem to have the increased damage falloff rate that other weapons have when using a suppressor. A full charge at about 200m will oneshot on a headshot regardless of using a suppressor or not (it does seem to receive the decrease in velocity).

TRAP: I suggest giving this thing a new name. The Terrain Republic Assault Sniper Hunter or TRASH for short.
  5. Vanon

The new NC Railjack is total crap. They added about a half a second delay before firing, no charge mechanics, nothing, just pull the trigger, wait, and watch those bullets miss. I'm really pissed about this. There is nothing to help counter the effects of the delay. It's just arbitrarly added in. You can hit with charge up mechanics like with the new VS SR, because you can actually release it when your ready to shoot, but at this point, it's adding 3 variables you have to account for. Gun Delay, Bullet Drop, Target leading. It's completely un-useable. I'm waiting to see the youtube vids about this gun. It will be a montage of shooting AFK Targets.
  6. Gundem

That firing delay is your trade-off for having, what is it, 800m/s velocity?

This is Trade-Offs. And welcome to Balance.
    • Up x 1
  7. Tenebrae Aeterna

As saddened as I am about the overall outcome of the empire specific rifles, having tried the TRAP in the test server before live...that thing is one hell of a terror weapon in close quarters situations due to the sheer speed you can rail off those shots. Granted...you'll be out of ammunition pretty damn quick.

Either way, at the end of it all...it's the NC that seem to have gotten shafted by this update. I'm not sure about the TR anymore...I suspect that weapon will come in handy in different situations than what we expected these rifles to provide.
  8. AnuErebus

Playing around today I'm a bit disappointed in the railjack. The firing delay will take quite some time to get used to and i'd much rather have a longer chamber time than this delay.

The Vandal meanwhile... Oh man, it feels so good. Immensely superior version of the scout rifles. The iron sights are simply fantastic, the rifle sounds good, feels good and I almost feel like I'm killing people faster with it than the scout rifles. I'm really curious what the rate of fire is on it although I imagine it's the same and my ability to land easier headshots is what's contributing to the faster kills.

Still haven't spent much time with the changed impetus, but I noticed it's slower to ADS so that's a problem.
  9. Vanon

Playing with the Railjack is like playing in extreme lag. The muzzle velocity is completely irrelevent, as the only people you will hit are AFK enemies. That is not balance, that if uselessness. I'm curious, have you used the railjack in combat at all?
  10. Astraka

I saved up 1000 certs just for this moment. I'm so glad that the first review I've read about it confirms my hopes. Can't wait to get home and try it out!
  11. Vanon

I'm so ******* pissed about it. I bought it, played with it for an hour, and got 2 kills. I wish they would lower the clip to 4 and remove the delay, or atleast give us back control when we want the bullet to leave the gun. Give us a charge mechanic please, anything so it's not random. Right now its completely broke. It's sad, cause i have been looking forward to this for so long.
  12. AnuErebus

Do it, if you like any of the current semi-autos you'll like it. I slapped a compensator and laser on it after a few kills and it performs amazingly. Hipfire is solid enough for oh crap situations and firing while ADSed is as smooth as butter. I also really have to recommend the iron sight, they are by far my favorite in the game.

But hold out on buring the 1x or 2x reflex if you prefer those. They're bugged currently and cost 100 certs. Conversely the foregrip and flashlight as both 30 certs so if you want either of those I'd pick them up quickly.
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

I just tried it in VR and the delay really didn't factor. Before you say that those are stationary targets, what I did was sway wildly RIGHT as I clicked the fire button...and even though I moved from the target, it still hit. It's almost like the delay doesn't actually exist and is more like lag...

What's the experience in a real environment?

In VR, the most aggravating thing about it for me was the fact that it sounds like it shoots first and fires later...rather than a charge sound followed by a blast.
  14. Gundem

No, but I used the Saron HBR before it was changed.

Yes, the firing delay was a pain. But, at least before it had it's velocity nerfed, it needed it.
  15. Vanon

Your comparing a sniper rifle to a tank gun? Seriously? Well i use money, so i must know how to be an investment banker....
  16. z1967

I was really hoping the NS-30 Vandal would be available to all classes since it was a pretty sweet weapon (dat reload). And it would add even more options for different loadouts (but BASRs and SASRs would still be infiltrator only). I am likely to buy it with SC so I can have it for all of my (future) alts. Seems like a beast of a weapon for all intents and purposes.
  17. Vanon

If feels like your playing in extreme lag. For instance, i was setup on rashnu tower, where the enemy was charging on foot through the underbase from the biolab. This is normally a farm... Enemies running streight at you, all you have to do is worry about vertical lead, which on a 850 m/s gun should not even be an after thought, especially at 200ish meters. I did the whole "figure out where you need to aim to lead the target thing". What kept happening was that the i would be perfectly lined up and leading a target that is running streight at me, and he would move a step to the right or left during the time i pulled the trigger and when the bullet would fire. Then there where other guy's who would pause for a second in the middle of running to rez someone or fire a few bullets. You line up, have them dead to rights and fire, and they move during this half second delay.

What the railjack forces you to lead the target the entire time while your firing. You can not reflex shot it at all either. All of the shots of oppertunity, such as when a guy pauses to shoot, when an engineer stops to make sure his repair gun is on a max get lost, as they now have half a second to mess up the shot AFTER you aligned it and are ready to kill them. It makes shots where the enemy changes direction impossible, where they are rather easy on the longshot.

If your going to try it in VR, get someone to go out 200-300m and run around like they would in game. Perhaps that might shed some light on what i'm saying better. Also whats the point of the gun if you have to lead twice as much due to the delay? The 50 damage is unnoticeable, it sitll has bullet drop, and the whole reason muzzle velocity is good is it reduced lead and the time it takes to hit a target. It would be the same as rasing the damage on smg's and having it kick in half a second latter.
    • Up x 1
  18. starlinvf

Because the mechanics are relevant. The Railjack's delay is a toned down version what the PS1 Lancer, and that shot delay wasn't a crippling factor. Like any competent player, they simply started thinking an extra second ahead.

The only validity in the argument is the extremely limited steady time, as that DOES interfere with maintaining lead.
  19. Vanon

I see where you are trying to get at, however it's apples and oranges. Your talking double the delay time to hit tanks, which half the time are stationary, in open fields, and are what? 100 times larger then the player? Compared to half the delay time to hit mobile targets that don't suffer the same laws of physic's. Even the mechanic is not relavent, as you know when it is charging and you can hold the charge if i'm not mistaken. This has no indicators what so ever, nor do you have any control when you can release it. Assuming we had a charge indicator and could control the release, it would be adaptable.

The problem is that a charge mechanic with no indicator, no ability to hold is not worth 200 m/s and 50 more damage. I don't even know where they got the clip size, but no one asked for it nor wanted it, as it adds very little to a bolt action sniper.
  20. Wobberjockey

wasn't the biggest complaint about the Saron that it WAS a sniper rifle and mags were picking off infantry with it?

that said my biggest complaint about the limited time i've had to play with the Phaseshift is that the sight is too powerful for how i prefer to play.