Plz help Magrider physics.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pondera, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Pondera

Now, before I start this thread, I just want to point out that I am not advocating changing the Magrider's damage, armor, or overall speed in anyway, but there are some issues with it that I'm practically begging be addressed.

First of all, the "Magmower" problem. It's practically impossible to run someone over......if it's a deliberate action. If you're just strafing to avoid a rocket, you just mowed down 5 people. And it's really impossible to see where they are because the Magrider has the worst camera angles in the game BY FAR. In first person, there is alot of your tank sticking out to the sides that you just can't see, and in 3rd person, you can't see much past the sides of your tank. Not that it really matters since all it takes to kill a friendly is a light nudge with your sides. Please, I implore that this be fixed either by changing the camera angles of the Magrider and letting us see the friendlies to our sides before they meet with an unpleasant demise, or changing the hover height of the tank so that we harmlessly slid over infantry. I think I can speak for all of Vanu when I say we would gladly give up our ability to road kill the occasional enemy if it meant we stopped killing everyone in our armor camp by accident.

Secondly, EMERGENCY BRAKE. Amerish is slowly growing on me, but there's a problem we face unique to the Vanu. If our Magriders are on a slope, it's pretty much impossible to keep control of them. They constantly backslide down the hill, and if we just got out, they'd slide all the way down back to the bottom of the mountain. Can we see a feature where we can disengage the forward and backward power of the tank and stabilize ourselves in place while still able to turn? No other benefits like what the Prowler sees, WE DO NOT WANT TO BE PROWLER CLONES, but just.... the ability not to slide down a Vanu-damned mountain would be nice.

Lastly, the size of the Magrider's base. This is part of the first issue. The magrider's base is so wide that it's very difficult to pilot over rough terrain. I am constantly getting stuck on rocks and uneven terrain, and when that happens, every MAX and Heavy in the area notices. Without the ability to use the Magrider's mobility, we're toast.
    • Up x 1
  2. Kunavi

I have been run(Ran?) over by Mags often enough, in fact more than I have been by Lightnings or obviously VGs. And it does often look like it was not intended. So it's all fair IMHO ;P As far as accidental TKing goes, I've got to say it happens to all of us and in most cases it's just not even possible that an MBT or Lightning slide in such a manner and squelch you or the poor Engie trying to help, but... PS2 physics! But again it happens on all sides so relax :) It's not an issue specific to the Mag.

I don't what you're saying about braking, let me just say real quick that there are hand brakes for all land based vehicles I think and they are more effective than slowing down. I've seen Mags cling on many surfaces in various extreme angles, so what exactly happened to your Mag-Rider that made you think it's impossible to control? Benefits the Prowler sees? What, Lock-Down? :eek: Now I heard it all. Take it, just give me your Mag Boost?! Take ALL MY LOCK-DOWNS PLEASE! Give me Turbo for Prowlers and you can have it! Oh no wait, Prowlers bounce so much it'd be ********... :confused: Seriously though, most vehicles will slide in the least gracious and accurate manner, when they decide to. And then you get gems like Prowlers in Lock-Down with all their stabilizers in the air, the main body supported by a tiny pebble. Nanites. But trust me, there is NO benefit to Lock-Down. Not any practical ones.

Lastly, the Mag difficult to pilot over rough terrain!? Really now? -.-
  3. LIKE A BOSS!

Careful. Some players will just say "The Magrider is just fine you're just bad" People will come. All you're doing is ask for a simple suggestion that I fully support. They need to fix the breaks and the sliding for magriders. Because currently a Magrider that can't strafe is as good as dead.
  4. DashRendar

That idea for holding spacebar to not slide around is a cool idea. Requires a pilot to stay in the cockpit to maintain the effect, so I think that's alright.
    • Up x 3
  5. Hotbread

I'd be fine with that. It would make magriders actually able to hit with rockets and tank shells. Currently it's hard to because not only do I not know what way it's going to drift, the pilot doesn't either!
  6. Pondera

See, this is why I never ever feel bad cutting down Terrans in cold blood. They say things like this that just make me want to grab my knife and...

No, Pondera...control...remember what your therapist said.

Now, when I said "Benefits the Prowler sees", I meant the increase in projectile velocity and reload speed. As for braking, you've obviously never piloted a magrider, so your homework is to do it on Amerish. Find any sufficiently steep slope and try and hold yourself there.

You'll notice that you'll need to constantly adjust to keep yourself in a stationary position whereas other tanks, such as the Vanguard, the Prowler (which I loved piloting, btw), and the Lightning, would sit there, perfectly immobile. Also, since Magriders have no turret, your constant adjustments to stay stable will make you miss your shot more often than not, and any tank veteran can tell you how crucial a missed shot is during a tank engagement.

And yes, you'll find that the Magrider really is difficult to pilot of rough ground. Drive one for any sufficient length of time, and you'll find that you'll get stuck on positively everything. Going over small ridges will make the "teeth" of the magrider around the cannon dig into the ground on the other side and stop you for a moment. It's just the kind of thing that can be fixed with a small increase in hover height and power, power meaning that the Magrider pushes harder back off the ground when it's not at normal height

Whats this now?
  7. DashRendar

Well sir, that's what I thought the entire second paragraph was hinting at. The spacebar is the emergency brake button, so I thought the idea was that if the mag pilot presses spacebar it engages a "gravitic matrix coupler" or something that maintains the Mags current position while the button is pressed.
  8. Pondera

Yeah, I just tried that out in VR. Saw that there was a handbrake hotkey and was going to be all "WHY DID NOONE TELL ME THIS?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!"

Too bad it doesn't work on the Magrider.

Or the Lightning.

Vanu Dammit.
  9. Maelthra

I've wanted the Magrider to have, like, a "parking brake" since the first time I fired up PS2. I remember that first day when I kitted out as Engineer and took my Magrider 2.0 out for its' first spin. I jumped out to repair it and, completely oblivious to the fact that the Magrider will just start drifting, it ran me over and killed me. I felt like such a noob, getting run over by my own tank :eek:

Also, the infamous "Magmower" still exists, it's just that its' awesome mowing capabilities seem limited to friendlies.
  10. Amundsenkalmah

I wonder if there is somwhere data of T kills by ESMBTs
  11. Drudid

yeah back in beta i decided to stop playing nc for a day and play the technophilic zealots, my first suicide was landing a scythe on a relatively flat surface, one that id landed a reaver on 100s of times before to clutch repair... and it promptly slipping off the cliff with me as i repaired it,

a similar instance occurred 10 minutes later with the magrider , and since that day i have not set my freedom loving boots inside a vanu vehicle :p

yeah the scythe and mag really need an "off" button, just have them plonk down onto the dirty ground like all the other peasant vehicles

ive seen a few videos of people getting stuck with the magrider, and them getting out by just rotating like a disk, quite cool actually

but you really dont know stuck until youve beached your LandShip Vanguard on a small obstacle/little terrain undulation
  12. kirinohana

I'd Iike to add one thing to the physics. The whole bumped by a Sunderer (or others) and going into a cartwheel then flipping upside down. I mean you'd think flipping a tank would be nearly impossible due to weight but the cartwheel thing is just a bit silly....or make it do less damage and be a feature :).
  13. Ballistix

Unless, of course, it's your own guys - lost count I have floated BY, not over, my fellow VS and killed them but yet go to run over a TR or NC and I float clean over the top of them and still they stand up, turn around, take aim and fire a rocket into the back of the Mag - just tonight I tried to run over an NC medic (thank vanu he did't have C4) multiple times and in the end up I just backed up and give him a high five, in the face, with the cannon - it's pure redonculous indeed, mmmm . . . . . . .

I also second a gravity matrix coupler
  14. Ronin Oni

Honestly they need to fix handling for all ground vehicles over sloped terrain.

but yeah, sliding on any slope is a problem of grav vehicles. Scythe does it too when you land and hop out, whereas unless it's crazy steep my mossie or reaver would land and stay still just fine.
  15. Pondera

I did mention it was impossible to run someone over with a Magrider deliberately. But earlier, an engineer was repairing me, and I accidentally ran over him. I WASN'T EVEN MOVING!!!

Please, SOE, for the love of the Vanu, fix this!
  16. Kunavi

What increase, in what speeds? I hit more reliably with a Mag than with a Prowler. Mostly due to the fact that they are very stable platforms, over all terrain, while moving. I've never claimed to be some ace Mag driver, I only told you what I've seen which includes my driver sticking to almost vertical surfaces, admittedly on Indar. If Amerish is really this different then the Mag needs no adjustments, Amerish terrain does or so I would think at least.

Oh so you constantly need to adjust!? Well I suppose this comes from being able to dodge, for, you know, balance purposes? Trade off? All that exotic stuff. All I read in this is that you want the Mag to essentially spin in place; If they wanted it to do that, they would have given it a turret separate from the main body. Again, that's just my thoughts on this. Playing on both sides lately, I have yet to see good drivers miss as much as you're saying, even on the new Amerish. I know about missing, I am TR remember? Our MBT is a Pogo stick.

How exactly you manage to get it stuck is beyond me.

But sure go ahead discard it all as sheer stupidity, or call it void because I haven't 37349743Hrs in each and every single vehicle in PS2, if it makes you feel stronger. More power to you, I hope your issues are resolved with no buffs to Mags as they already own too much.....

.....In the right hands.

EDIT : There does seem to be a problem indeed, standing still and TKing an Engie who barely touched your MBT is ridiculous.
  17. Kunavi

Also.. I'm pretty sure the Lightning did have emergency brakes and we all get the same Lightning?! Or at least during my last session it did, there was a clear difference between pressing "S" to slow down and pressing "Space". I admit I've not tried that on the Mag, because I actually never needed it. It turns great.
  18. Pondera

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Anchored_Mode THESE speeds. Increased reload speed by 48% sounds pretty good to me.

And I'm not going to "call it void because I haven't 37349743Hrs in each and every single vehicle in PS2", I'm going to call it void because I've had to explain numerous physics and properties of the game to you, which are available to pretty much ANYONE with access to Google and the planetside 2 wiki. You're not contributing to the conversation. You've done nothing but talk down to me when I've made some very reasonable requests.

.....I also happen to find you tremendously annoying.
    • Up x 1
  19. Pyrode

I love that last bit xD.

Yeah i'm sick of getting mowed by Mags and yet whenever you attempt to mow down the enemy it doesn't work.
    I tried this the other day after going on a TKing spree with my mower, i decided driving at the enemy may net me more kills than using any of the weapons on the vehicle so i launched myself off a rock at them and landed flat in the middle of a group of maxes,engineers and medics. I promptly blew up with no kills and not even any assists....

I think the TR and NC must just be a bit vertically challenged compared to VS (yes i made a short joke :p).

Also the sliding thing while repairing, too many times have i been run over by scythes and mags who's pilots were repairing with me. It's honestly no wonder that scythe pilots prefer to just hover over friendly engineers while they're getting repaired.

It IS funny however to see a pilot or driver running after said vehicles when they really screw up and jump out while on a greater than 1:5 incline xD.
  20. ElastaPlast

OK, I think I've solved the mag-mowing enemies thing. It seems that driving at enemies doesn't work so you must have to slide that big old mag-butt around and strafe them. It works for friendlies. ;)
    • Up x 1