Rocket launchers vs Infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by stix6029, Feb 24, 2014.

1. stix6029

I've played planetside 2 since the release and only a small amount of people were using the rocket launchers against infantry but recently everyone is using them,this may be a little annoying sometimes because you die with only 1 shot.

So what do you guys think ? I personally think that rocket launchers should be used only vs vehicles and maxes or at least they should kill infantry with 2-3 shots and not only 1 like the phoenix.
  2. aoyagiaichou

No. I've complains about rocket launchers being used on infantry since BF 1942 and nothing has changed. In fact, compared to most of other combined arms games (or Day of Defeat), PS2 rocket launchers are underperforming against infantry.
    • Up x 8
  3. Lord_Avatar

Dumbfires are fine as they are vs infantry. Even their in-game description states that they are meant as both an AV and AI weapons.
    • Up x 6
  4. Hiding in VR

Occasionally I will fire a rocket at infantry. This usually means I was aiming at something else and they started taking pot-shots at me or walked in the way. In either case, it is entirely fair that they die, should I manage to successfully hit them.

PS: I generally consider such an event to be a waste of ammo. Still, better them than me :)
    • Up x 1
  5. AnnPerkins

Considering they are about the least effective AV option available these days they need to be good at something. Anyways, I'd rather run into a heavy trying to dumbfire kill than a jackhammer monkey. With rockets if they miss you at least still have a chance.
  6. stix6029

Yeah,that is true.
  7. JorgeSarcos

Yeah... because a player taking two Rockets to be killed makes total logic...

[IMG]

Make everyone a MAX and be done with it LOL
    • Up x 1
  8. CrazyMike

I use heavy assault a lot and that is usually what gets me, if not an infiltrator in the back.
  9. IamDH

No, i think its perfectly fine and should stay like this
  10. JesNC

Nobody in their right mind uses their launcher over their LMG for infantry killing by default. It's only ever useful if:
    - they hide behind a bit of cover and you need some spash dmg at medium/long range
    - they're in your way while you were gunning for a vehicle/MAX with your RL already out
    - you ran out of hard targets with a Phoenix missile already in-flight

Oh, and any kind of explosive is great vs bunched-up infantry, but that's just common sense...
    • Up x 1
  11. Tuco

Be happy we can't jump on em.

They're awesome for spawn camp warriors. I use it all the time......WHY ARE THESE FORUMS SO FREAKING SLOW?!!!!!
  12. vrcarnage

Yea it makes as much sense as the person shooting point blank w/ the rocket launcher and not dieing them selves? Or an anti tank round from a secondary taking more then one shot to kill infantry? The list can go on all day about cr4p that makes no sense on this game.

I personally don't care about getting rolled by a rocket but, if they are point blank they need to die as well.
    • Up x 1
  13. Jube

If anything the base level rockets, (those that are used for both armor and infantry) should have their splash damage increased.
    If you don't like getting killed by rockets, don't bunch up with all your buddies.
    Nobody would fire a rocket at a single infantry, but five or more in one spot, hell yea. And if your are one of those five...you deserved to die.
  14. Giggily

Rocket Launchers do too much direct shot damage to infantry. Like shotguns, they're poorly balanced in that they allow players one easy kill before they go down themselves. Low skill ceiling low skill floor weapons are not the way to go in my opinion. The current splash values are fine. In my opinion RLs should be used to kill people around corners with splash damage, deal with large groups of enemies in tandem with grenades, and be used to kill max suits and vehicles. They should just not one hit kill.
  15. JorgeSarcos

Whaaaaaat? Sniping with rifles is too mainstream b*tch!

[IMG]

You dont know how fun was that day LOL (im never on my right mind anyway)
  16. Jube

OMG poorly balanced as compared to what? Your pistol?
    You people who cry because something one-shotted you need to wake up.
    Any weapon that can penetrate tank armor should one shot infantry period. THAT would be "Balance"

Infiltrators can one shot with a sniper rifle, (and rightly so) so don't cry because a rocket can also. IT"S A FREAKING ROCKET!
    • Up x 1
  17. Ixidron

Then I want enforcers, sarons, pounders, falcons, fractures, ravens, comets, vortexes, lancers, strikers, furies, bulldogs, rocketpods, coyotes, hornets and phoenixes to one hit infantry, see? not funny not balanced.
  18. Eyeklops

Not for or against this argument, but if you can get a Striker to hit infantry it should probably OHK, considering it won't even fire without a lock.
    • Up x 1
  19. TheFamilyGhost

I do believe a direct rocket hit should kill outright.

Rockets are great for indirect fire, but I think that if a person relies on the rocket as their primary weapon, they'll suffer for it.

Perhaps we should have more situational awareness regarding rockets in indirect fire modes, and a sense of humor when we catch one at point blank because we surprised someone that was trying to do something else.
  20. Drudid

most of these weapons where considered for OHK, and many were/are for instance the bulldog does 1600 damage, thats a onehit,

the phoenix was a OHK on release, the difference is that these weapons were balanced not due to the OHK but due to them over performing stat wise from other factors, the phoenix was camera guided, and so all tr and vs snipers died, this had to be addressed, the same is not said for the dumbfires,

some were released not direct OHK but 2/3 hits, but due to rapid fire rate were overperforming, hence damage reduction vs infantry

therefore if an enforcer could OHK, what is the point in using the Halberd, the Halberd is your dumbfire in this instance

the same can be said for furies and rocketpods, furies used to OHK on direct hit, but the flash and harasser made this over perform and rocketpods in beta were either a 1 or 2shot kill, or had such a high splash it didnt matter ( i cannot fully remember due to it being a long time ago but i abused the hell out of them, most kneejerk hatred of air is from those beta early release days)

the long slow-*** reload of the dumbfires is what makes them balanced, they have a slower AI killing potential than the LMG so its fine