New bolts for the Hunter QCX?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AccelPrime, Feb 22, 2014.

1. AccelPrime

High Velocity Bolt:

The HVB is designed to perform better at longer ranges by increasing the velocity of the bolt, as well as the overall damage at range. However, having a smaller ammo pool means that you've got to make the most of what you got, and those who are too loose with their aim will quickly find themselves dry on ammunition. The HVB also has lower maximum damage than any other bolt.

- 250m/s velocity
    - 1s chamber time
    - 4 bolts per magazine
    - 600 maximum damage at 60m
    - 500 minimum damage at 95m
    - 4+20 [24] bolts total ammo pool
    - Slightly worse hipfire when compared with the Standard Bolt*

Rapid Fire Bolt:

The RFB is designed to perform better at closer range by allowing the user to fire off bolts in rapid succession and bringing enemies down faster. Because of the lower damage at range, as well as the lower velocity this bolt will not perform as good at longer ranges.

- 110m/s velocity
    - 0.6s chamber time
    - 4 bolts per magazine
    - 650 maximum damage at 25m
    - 500 minimum damage at 35m
    - 4+28 [32] bolts total ammo pool
    - Slightly better hipfire than the Standard Bolt*

Mini Bolt:

The MB is designed for allowing a greater total damage output by adding an additional two bolts per magazine, at the expense of lowering some of the bolt's functionality. Damage drop-off will occur earlier, the chamber time is a tiny bit longer, and the velocity is not as good as the standard bolt's. This is the bolt for those who dislike reloading when they've got an enemy in their crosshairs.

- 140m/s velocity
    - 1.1s chamber time
    - 6 bolts per magazine
    - 650 maximum damage at 30m
    - 500 minimum damage at 50m
    - 6+24 [30] bolts total ammo pool
    - Same hipfire stats as the Standard Bolt*

*Hipfire stats was added last minute to see if it'd offer better balance between bolts, feedback appreciated.
    *Reloads for all new bolts remain the same as for the Standard Bolt.

I tried balancing these around the standard bolt you get when purchasing any Crossbow, and if anyone has input/feedback on how it could be improved further that'd be great.

I figure these would be rather easy for SOE to implement, as they do not require any new mechanics or animation, and would nearly in its enterity be created by altering the numbers for already existing bolts! And more bolts = more fun so why not.

Thoughts?
  2. starlinvf

There needs to be more variation in the damage values. Since the effective range of the Hunter is limited to being with, the Rapid bolt is a functional upgrade with the higher DPS. The MiniBolt is not helpful in practice as the advantage and disadvantages counter act each other in various applications.

I actually think the HVB is the most serviceable concept, as it helps support the concept of its use as primary weapon ranged weapon Stalkers. However, I would suggest reducing its mag size to 2 with a slightly faster reload, or 3 with a longer reload and chamber time.

I would also combine the concept for the Mini and Rapid bolts, by dropping the min/max damage a tier, keep the faster chamber time, use the lower velocity, and effectively filling the missing niche of silenced revolver.
  3. AccelPrime

Altering damage values of this weapon would either make it very UP or OHK, which is something some people are very vocally upset about... So that'll be incrediby difficult unless the chamber time would be dropped to like 0.1-0.2s, and if that's going to be done there has be A LOT of balance work on that specific bolt.

The Rapid Fire Bolt could have its velocity dropped to ~80m/s, nearly half of that of the Standard Bolt, to enhance that it's meant for closer range, and at the same time making it even harder to use at closer range. Then the more favourable chamber time & better hipfire would make more sense I think :).
  4. iPlague

Basicly the BF3 Crossbow treatment ? Standard Bolt, Sniper Bolt, Radar Bolt, and Explosive Bolt. Am I right?
  5. AccelPrime

I don't know, I actually played BF3 when it came out but I can't remember playing with a Crossbow :eek:.
    And my bolt designs are different to what you're suggesting, except for the HVB I guess. These are meant to allow players who use the Crossbow to tailor their playstyles by choosing a bolt that suits them the best.
  6. iPlague

Well it was more or less a response triggered by the High velocity bolt, WHICH was the also the name of the "sniping bolt" of the Crossbow. Now the real sadness about the Crossbow used as a snipping weapon in BF3 was that you didn't receive marksman bonus points for shooting a target across 100m, however since it was an all kit weapon it most certainly helped me out as a combat medic whenever there was a pesky sniper in the near vicinity. Though the scope was horrible for it!