WDS: No, this is not a rant

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EmmettLBrown, Feb 21, 2014.

1. EmmettLBrown

I'm betting this is going to get locked/deleted and I'll get a message telling me to go talk about it in a thread that few people even look at anymore, but I'm going to try this anyways. This will probably be the last time I even care enough about the WDS to talk about it.

I know a lot of people are defending this as a test for the actual season. We've already had one of these last year, and most of us that remember it really don't like talking about it. However, test or not, you can't throw some form of competition onto an already strictly PVP game without people taking it seriously. Why couldn't they have organized something on the test server first to work how they were going to score this? I'm sure they could announce weekly scrims and organize with outfits to try different rulesets. What we have been getting now are rules that changed midway the last time, they changed at the beginning of this one, and changed once again after a week into it. And people have been throwing their hands up in frustration the whole ride.

They really need to take a hard look at what the overall goal is going to be with implementing a world wide event and construct rules that will encourage it the best way. If the goal is to encourage larger fights, why base capping? It's the easiest thing to exploit when the most abundant thing we have in the game are players willing to join up in a platoon and be guided by outfits. I get the feeling that they just wanted a large competition just for the sake of having a large competition.

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy the game (thank you for the new Amerish!), but the WDS is falling flat on it's face again and I can't be bothered to even pay attention to it while I'm playing anymore.
    • Up x 2
  2. Nocturnal7x

I don't understand the point of WDS. It hurts the game, causes people to do stupid crap they don't usually do. IMO if it doesn't improve the game they should get rid of it.

What was the point? Where is hossin and cont locking? That might be cool.

Any on your point, if they wanted to improve WDS it should be based on XP (unboosted). Farming is fun, sitting at a base waiting for it to cap isn't.
  3. TomaHawk

I agree, I never pay attention to WDS. I hate that any accumulated points are wiped weekly, as I play very casually. I hate this idea just like I hate the clock ticking down on PURCHASED boosts while I am offline. The ADS rewards suck ****. I can't believe that the same creative minds that came up with this pretty enjoyable game (declining enjoyment I might add) created these absolutely stupid systems today.
  4. Van Dax

It is being thought through I can guarantee it, they WANT us to take it seriously, it is in their best interests not to flat out tell us and instead just observe how the meta develops.

While some people may not like the rewards (or need them)I can tell you that people who are F2P are crazy about them and ultimately those are probably the most important demographic to direct to the correct fights.

It will essentially help the common player develop goals that further the empires cause as its hard to farm certs in a slogfest and actually get wds points since they require captures.

hopefully this will compel players to balance their time between more selfish plays for kills and more bold pushes to win bases.
  5. FlamingSquirrel

The problem I have with WDS is that it alters the way the game naturally plays. Why create an event with a scoring system that actually changes the the way people play the game? WDS could have been a way to up the ante, to turn the regular game into a sort of 'tournament' where people feel even more competitive with the other factions, and work harder to come out on top.

Instead, they created a system that changes the way people play. Originally, it rewarded people for just zerging, while not bothering to defend at all. Now, everyone either just sits in a valuable base and allows the enemy to take a point, so they can take it back - because that's the only way they can be rewarded - or they hop from hex to hex depending on what is about to be taken, or is about to be successfully defended.

They already have a system that tracks when 'battles' start and end. All they had to do was reward everyone currently involved in a battle a set amount of WDS points over time, that scaled up with how much territory their empire owns overall, and how well they're performing on the scoreboard. You can then give a % boost to the amount of WDS points for having a low population.

There you go. A system that doesn't change the way the game is played, where no one can afk and gain points, where people are rewarded for participating and for excelling, and where everyone is focused on taking and holding territory for their faction. You can have that idea for free SOE.