The New Sounds SUCK.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Foxirus, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Eltirion

i have gotten some sound bug all the sound is like in some sort of a tunnel any fix to this its been like a week now ? !!
  2. Foxirus

There is no fix, It was a change they did a few days ago involving alot of the rockets and sounds. Something to do with "Sound Passing" It caused alot of things to have unneeded echoes. This thread is an attempt to get the devs to revert the sounds back to how they were, Crisp and clear. Not echoed and cluttered.
  3. Wezdor

This IS a bug. You are not being productive going around yelling at SOE about how they ruined your sounds. You said you are mostly on Amerish. Amerish just so happens to be the most common place to get the bug (Ascent nearly guarantees it). What happens is, the game thinks you're in a cavern with echoing sounds when you are in fact not. Try playing on Indar for a day. You may get the bug once and even that is likely to happen near Rashnu Bio.

Unless you have proof this is not a bug (record a video of you starting up the game fresh, logging into the game and the sound echoing right away, from the start) then calm down a bit and give the devs time to fix this. IF you can come up with something to back your statement, feel free to cause riots and i'll happily join you in support.
  4. PinkamenaDiane

Speaking of bad sound, I think the new patch bugged all sounds involving lockon weapons. I jumped into a mosquito to quickly check out the new Amerish, and flew near a pretty large fight. I immediately get the little lockon message, but sure I am just passing by and got flares, no problem. I wait for the beeping to start so I know when to hit the flares, but they never came. Suddenly I just had lost 1/3 of my hp- no lockon sounds, no explosion sound, no nothing.
    Then again I cant remember when this game didnt have a dozen and two sound bugs. Just another one to the list I guess
  5. Yuukikun

I don't mind op stuff because it's a challenge to fight against it, but when it's something you have no control on like this stupid sound quality, it makes me want to stop playing / unsubscribe.
  6. BloodMonarch

Noticed there was something up with the sound too....I could hardly hear my own weapon firing because of the back ground noise. Now back ground noise is great....but I want to hear my own weapon, thats firing right in front of my face, over the top of it.
  7. Foxirus

Read some of what the people are saying. Go fire an S1 or set up a deployable that explodes when its timer expires. LISTEN TO THE ECHO. It is not a bug because they said they were going to change the sound when the infil update went live. It has been this way ever since the infil patch every single day. I know the sound bugs, This is not one of them.

As for backing it, You have multiple users that have posted in this thread complaining about the exact same thing as well as the examples I have given you to reproduce it. If you are not going to check for yourself, Don't bother replying. If you don't use a good pair of earphones, You don't know what PS2's true sound is like.
  8. Phukkitt

I noticed a change in the sound since OMFG I think, haven't noticed anything extra since the infil update. What I noticed is especially with voices, they sometimes sound like if they're inside a metal box or something, depending on where the person is and whether there is a wall between you, if they are around a corner etc. Really annoying at first but I've gotten used to it. Not a bug of an effect getting stuck since people sound perfectly normal if they are in sight.
  9. gnometheft

I usually pay particular attention to these kinds of things and I didn't hear anything. I have high quality reverb enabled, but I did not notice a change in sound beyond some minor OMFG changes, and particularly the reverb sounds very similar to how it always has, it'd be hard to convince me that got changed. I'd assume it's a glitch or some sound setting on your end.
    • Up x 1
  10. Wezdor

I borrowed the most expensive headwear i could find among my friends and i can't say i notice any difference from how the sounds were before. If there were changes, they were entirely too minor for me to notice.

I'm not saying OP doesn't have this problem he says he does, but i do think it's not due to the devs destroying sound quality but rather something else.
  11. Foxirus

Today I found some more people ingame who were complaining about it. It was a 12 man battle (including enemy players) and you could not hear a damn thing with all the echo from explosions and weapons fire that was going on. The patch that happen that gave us the spotting device for the infiltrators. The devs added something called "Sound Passing" to the rockets and such. THIS NEEDS TO BE REMOVED. The sound passing is what is causing all the damn problems with it sounding like we are stuck in a giant metal box.

Because you have not used a quality headset from the beginning, How can I expect you to notice the difference. The problem is in the echo. Shoot a rocket and listen to it echo like 4 times. The echo needs to die a slow fire death.
  12. Foxirus

Here is a small quote from the February 13th Patch Notes:

"

• Semi-auto Scout Rifles: NC Shadow, TR HSR-1, VS Nyx
      • Increased min damage from 250 to 280
      • Projectile velocity increased from 500 to 550 on NC and TR, from 500 to 540 on VS (lower because of no drop)
    Misc
    • Audio pass on Rocket Launchers. They should be heard at further distances and more distinct. (KILL THIS WITH FIRE! After this was added, the echoes became intolerable.
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed a case where locked on projectiles would ignore terrain
    • Explosives will now blow up deployables and other explosives
    • Fixed a bug that was often causing explosives to do partial damage. Explosion damage will now be more consistent across the board

"

The main problem here is that the echoes have become too great. They need to be changed back to what they were BEFORE this update.
  13. Wezdor

For the last time, try playing on indar. Restart the game, play on INDAR for a few hours. Does the same thing happen? If so, record it and post here, because you seem to be the only one reporting this issue gamewide.
    If you are playing on AMERISH you are going to get the bug because it does have this issue. ESAMIR and INDAR do NOT have this issue as apparent.

This will be my last response if you don't stop with your senseless yelling and rambling, try what i am telling you.
  14. Vanus Aran

I like that Sony does things that annoy others but not me.
    More often the other way around.
  15. Gammit

TIL Foxirus doesn't know what a bug can be, that bugs can affect numerous people but not all, doesn't understand that a change in sound can coincide with a different bug with sound, and is not willing to try suggestions to gather evidence to see if it's a bad feature or a bug.

For what it is worth, I have a top 5.1 non-headphone surround setup and have experienced this bug, but not in all circumstances/locations/etc. Restarting the client did fix it in some circumstances.
    • Up x 1
  16. stalkish

I know exactly what your speaking about.
    I too noticed the change as soon as it changed, its when there is a distant sound, like as you say a command or a tank shooting, when in the distance it sounds muffled. I remember them making the change to make it 'easier' to hear things far away but imo they completely ruined an already perfercly fine sounds system.
    Other players in my outfit have also noticed a drop in the sound quality.

If this realy is a bug then it is a permanent one for me as i always hear these muffled sounds when someone not in my view shoots or yells. Very annoying.
    I also wear 7.1 surround headphones (not sure how 2 speakers on your head can be 7.1 but they sure do work to tell you directions of sounds)
    My headset -> http://www.headset-store.co.uk/busi...od_1227.html?gclid=CIiy3NXN3bwCFYcSwwod_C8ABw
  17. Foxirus

That is fine by me, Since it seems you will not see people quoting the exact same thing and talking about how everything echoes too much, be my guest and stop posting. You're completely ignoring those who are stating complaints about the exact same thing with how the sound passing made anything done in the distance sounds horrible. It does not matter what continent you play on, It does not matter how many times you restart, A feature they add in (SOUND PASSING, GO READ IT UP) is NOT a bug and cannot be disabled.
  18. Tatwi

It's not terrible now, but I don't think the indoor sounds in the past were quite like they are now. Though, I do recall that even in beta there was excessive echo and strangeness to outside sounds when heard from inside.
  19. gnometheft

This isn't relavent to gameplay but...
    Humans perceive the origin of a sound via the delay between the sound arriving at the left or right ear a split second before the other, and the effect of higher frequency cutoff to things behind us/ around corners/ above. Our hearing is directional and our brain tricks us into thinking we know where a sound came from. 7.1 headphones therefore control the split second delays between the right and left ear, and control cut off frequencies, along with a few other things that trick your brain into thinking it's actually where it's coming from.
  20. innersphere1

Explosion and bullets in the reality makes BIG ECHOES.