Considering a new PC

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Alarox, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Alarox

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz (six-core)
    Radeon HD7730 1GB DDR5
    8GB DDR3

What kind of FPS do you think I could get? Ideally it would be enough to record gameplay while on low/med settings.
  2. BlackDove

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...e-can-i-run-it-upgrade-advice-threads.170564/

That GPU is only 615 GFLOPS, so it would have been low end several years ago. Might as well get a Haswell i5, like the 4570 or 4670, 8 or 16GB of DDR3 1600, a good quality PSU like the ones I refer to in my thread, without a discrete GPU, and use the integrated GPU until you can afford a real one like a 660 or better.

You'll be able to play the game on ultra with an i5 and a 660, rather than buying a new PC that plays it on low.
  3. Alarox

I appreciate the advice, but I would appreciate the answer to what I asked even more. I would love to buy a better PC than this. I would love to take your advice. But all I'm looking for is a cost effective upgrade that will let me more comfortably play this game and possibly record.
  4. BlackDove

You didn't say anything about upgrading. You said a "new PC". Do you HAVE those parts, or are you considering upgrading FROM them?

My advice is going to be: don't waste money upgrading to or from that CPU, if you already have a motherboard with that socket, and wait until you can get something decent.

Don't waste money on a 7730 if you don't have one either. It's trash.

If you do have one, and want to upgrade FROM it, you will need a decent PSU, unless you go and buy something like a new Nvidia 750Ti, which has a 60W TDP, and is actually 1,300 GFLOPS.

The performance gain from upgrading to something compatible with that socket will be negligible, compared to buying something that's decent from the start.

This game is CPU limited, and horribly optimized. If you want to record, you could use the Shadowplay feature that GTX 650Ti or better GPU's support, which is incredibly low overhead compared to FRAPS or something like that, so there is a major advantage to waiting and buying something decent, if you want to record videos.

If you wanted to record comfortably on a CPU alone, with a program like FRAPS(which is like $40 itself), then you'll need as powerful of a CPU as you can get.

You could even get a cheap B85 motherboard with a Haswell i3 and eventually get a 750Ti or something cheap, that would actually allow you to play the game on high settings and record.

Unless you're getting those parts free, it's not worth putting money into it, when you can buy something several times the performance, for a little bit more money.
    • Up x 2
  5. Alarox

I'm considering upgrading to those specifications of a completely new rig from my current PC that can barely run the game acceptably on low.

I've never really desired high graphic quality or maximized FPS, just something reasonable. If I could record with 30fps on low/med I would be satisfied. Do you think this is achievable with this PC? If not then I'll take your previous advice.
  6. BlackDove

I think getting a bad CPU and a bad discrete GPU, when you could get good CPU with a decent integrated GPU for the same price or a little more, is crazy. It's wasting money.

If you can get something REALLY nice for a little more than the price of something that's complete garbage by comparison, shouldn't you get the thing that's slightly more expensive but several times better?

You'll end up saving money if you buy smart like that, since you won't have to upgrade again as soon as if you buy something that's already obsolete.

What is the overall budget? I can try to find you the best value possible for whatever price range you're in.

The cheapest recommendation I've got is something like, a decent Antec case and PSU, with a B85 motherboard, 8GB of DDR3 1600, and a Haswell i5.

This will play the game acceptably. It won't play it great while you're using the integrated GPU.

However, unlike that horrible AMD system, you can simply add a Geforce 750Ti or 660, or a 660Ti, when you have a spare $150, and you'll go from playing on low settings(which you would with a 7730), to being able to play on all high settings, and use Shadowplay to record with almost no overhead.

A Geforce 660Ti is literally 4x as powerful as that 7730. When you're getting a GPU that's that weak, you should really use integrated and save for a good GPU.
    • Up x 3
  7. shuffl2me

i agree with BlackDove, dont waste your money on AMD, i had the FX-6100 (OC @ 4.2GHz) before i upgraded my mobo and CPU to to an I7. that AMD setup could only get my an average of ~35fps with huge battle dropping me into the low 20's. it ran hot (61-70c) even when watercooled (H100 4fan push pull config).

this was no different to the mid 2010 Imac i had that used a 2nd gen I3 (3.2GHz)

you gotta ask yourself do i want an ok pc that you may have to upgrade again in a years time, or do you want something more expensive that will last you 5 years?

also remember FX series CPU are coming to an end, i really doubt that the steamroller range will run on AM3+ meaning you may also have to upgrade your mobo along with the CPU.

the only thing i dont agree with BlackDove on is getting the I5 over an I7. the biggest difference (EDIT: as far as i understand) is the I5 not having HT. here in the uk that I5 is £191

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-470-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

and the I7 is £269

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-471-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

i know HT isnt really used for PS2 but really is PS2 the only thing you do on your pc? for 80 quid you might as well get the I7 and future proof yourself some more.
    • Up x 1
  8. Lt Andrew

I personally would spend those 80 quid for something else (like good cooling for OCing). HT just doesn't seem to me to be worh it even in properly threaded applications.
  9. Dragam

shuffl2me : well, you could say that all the way through... when you are jumping from 4670k to 4770k (just because you can), then why not jump to the 4930k? or why not take the final step to a 4960x ?

If he is Building a pc to get better performance in planetside 2, then all that matters is more or less single core performance, and the 4670k have the same single core performance as the 4770k, when clocked at the same Hz.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

But you are entirely correct, that the AMD cpu is rubbish for this game (and all other cpu intensive games).
  10. shuffl2me

@Blackdove, well the reason to stop at the 4770k for me would be that the 4930k is ~£200 more expensive, uses considerable more power to run and not many programs currently use more than 6 cores let alone 12, i think the new thief game due this month is the first game to recommend either an I7 or FX8xxx . also i might be wrong but it uses a quad channel ddr3 controller which i think would force you into having to buy 4 stick bundles.
  11. RyanGUK

I reccommend a 660Ti, they're going a bit cheaper than when I first bought mine but hell it plays like a beast. The CPU is alright, personally I'd prefer a 3770k but that's just me. I hear so many good things about that processor for its price :p

Consider a SSD as well, they're not as blisteringly expensive as they used to be and the speed you get from them is awesome. May not be as noticeable in PS2, but your system overall will feel faster.
  12. teks

What your buying is basically a computer that already obsolete.

Even among amd, there are better options.
    I'm running a trinity A-10 @ 4ghz with internal graphics only.
    ^this costs $105-$130 and will run the game much better then what you suggested^
    • The internal graphics is better then the one you are buying
    • The processor is much much faster
    The computer you suggested will run the game @ 20-30 FPS with some tweaking, and has zero upgradability. I'm not sure that's worthwhile.

PS. For what its worth, I wouldn't disregard AMD for planetside so long as your building the PC yourself at least. I'm GPU locked at 35-40 FPS without a graphics card @ medium settings. Of course I built the computer well, and its compensating for AMD's shortcomings. If its pre-made I would do intel because the hardware they put in won't be doing AMD any favors.
  13. Lavy

I just got my new rig.

CPU: i7 4930k (6 core multithreaded 3.4ghz turbo 3.9ghz)
    COOLER: Corsair h110 (liquid cooled, closed loop)
    RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL10 (running dual channel instead of quad because thats why...)
    MOBO: msi x79a-gd45 plus 2011 socket
    GPU: ASUS GTX780 DIRECT UC II oc
    PSU: Coolermaster V850 Vanguard

About $2600 +- (with PC case etc. etc..)

Runs the game 90fps+ on max/ultra settings (no fps drops or strange other thingy's)
    and doesn't run hotter then 60 degrees celcius which is extremely cool.

In my oppinion, just get an high-end rig and not a low-end/medium rig which you can throw away after 2 years of use because it doesn't deliver the bang anymore and upgradebility is probably not an option on a low end mobo.
  14. TheAppl3

Above: Mystical computer that apparently runs at 90+ when similar systems that are clocked far higher drop to 55. Also pretty disappointing that you hit 60C at stock clock. My 3770k tops out at ~55 or so under heavy load at 600MHz past your peak boost.
    edit: and water-cooled to boot. Now that's sad.

FX-6300 is fine contrary to popular anti-AMD rage. Is a 4670k much better? Of course. The 6300 is "just enough" though.

7730 is a PoS. GTX660/HD7870 at minimum for pretty stuff and good frame rates.
  15. Dragam

TheAppl3 : ill have to disagree... if you look at the benchmark i linked previously in this thread, which test single core performance, youll see that the FX-6300 scores 1,415 while the 4670k scores 2,246... thats ALOT more performance, for only a bit more Money.

Trust me, its not because im against AMD, but their single core performance (which is essential in this game) is very poor.
  16. Lavy

Meant gpu temp not cpu.
    Gpu 60~ degrees celcius.
    Cpu 40~ ...

Only thing i know about AMD stuff is that their GPU's are way better bitcoin miners than the others.
  17. Alarox

I already get 20-30fps with a system that is leagues worse. I don't see how it will be only 20-30.
  18. BlackDove

All this bitcoin mining on gpu stuff is out of date. You cant mine bitcoins on gpus or even fpgas anymore.

You can only mine them on asics now and make a profit.

The reason that the amd cards were better is that they include a barrel shifter that nvidia left out of the GK architecture.. The new GM architecture brings back the barrel shifter so it will probably mine litecoins better than amds stuff.
  19. nitram1000

I wouldn't bother mate, the game runs like horse **** even on my PC when big battles kick off.
  20. BrianJ2

The haswell mainstream CPU's(i5 and i7) have a bad integrated GPU. Only some models like the P models have decently good Iris Pro GPU's. I'd rather go for the new Vishera Kaveri(oops) APU's ;)