Getting seriously fed up with the number of crashes.....

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rougen, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Rougen

I have had constant crashing issues the past few months, which to be honest I am now fed up with, I didn't spend 2k upgrading my PC to have a ****** F2P game kill it by having to button my PC four times a night.....

As of last night I have had enough, and I'm not giving SOE any more money for this or anything else for that matter until they sort their products out.
    It's clear from this technical support forum that so many people have issues with this game crashing, and I have contacted SOE support with no resolution or satisfaction.
    I can play any current game I like on the PC, full res, full settings all day if I want and have no issues, I can run Furmark all day, FireStrike, anything I want with no stability issues, hell even Arma III when in the alpha was more stable that this, what the hell are SOE doing?
    As a player of the original PS, I love the PS world and concept, and I do enjoy PS2 when it is working, but these lock ups, flickering screens, vanishing textures and CTD's have just taken their toll on me and I have had enough.
    What really pisses me off is that this is going to the PS4, I bet you that it will be optimised like crazy for that system, and while yes, all PC systems to some degree are different, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to optimise it for AMD and Nvidia forceware. I've not had any issues with games in recent years on the PC at all, SOE should be able to do better.....
    Seriously fed up and disappointed.
    • Up x 3
  2. Vyycan

I agree. Mine doesn't directly crash. First there's a large FPS drop. Then it crashes. FPS has been dropping for most people that play Planetside 2.
  3. Vyycan

I hope Sony fixes it.
  4. Miuku

User space applications can't crash your box unless it has either driver and/or hardware issues.
    • Up x 1
  5. Rougen

I really hope so, I love the game, but I'm just not willing to screw up my PC by buttoning it several times a night.

I've tried re-installing, removing all user .ini and XML settings files, setting things to default, running in compatibility mode - nothing makes it more stable.

I've just updated to the latest Nvidia drivers and it hasn't made any difference either.

I've got zero errors in the application or system event log, other than kernel errors from hard resets and buttoning it four time a night.

I even ran furmark torture test in full rez all last night to prove to myself a point that my system is rock solid and stable, it is just PS2 is an unstable product.

I didn't just come on here to troll or *****, but I am so hacked off with the lack of support from Sony after spending good money on this and many of their other products that I just needed to get it off of my chest.

I've raised a few support tickets, and I just get standard responses, it's clear they don't know what the stability issues are and aren't worried about hunting for them or fixing them in a hurry.

I just don't know what to do other than move on to something else :(
  6. Kyn

I didn't even have to read it to guess. Nvidia.. it sounds like your having a driver malfunction.. Try an older, not newer driver. I would give you a version number but it varies by video card. Wrong driver, I crash to. Right driver the worst I get is the momentary fps drop. Also, try fudging your graphics settings. There are some settings that will turn a momentary fps drop into a crashing computer. Nvidia's (optimal) settings do this to me.
  7. Rougen

What are you talking about? As an applications development engineer for HP I have first hand experience of such issues, of course applications that are coded and or not coded correctly to use API's or work with the underlying hardware and software can crash a system. Example, a very bad recursive query that never ends and causes a continuous loop that consumes all resources and locks the whole box up.

I get called out at 3am in the morning because someone has implemented a poorly designed system change, didn't do a full regression test of their software, and it knocks the application server or some other related piece of infrastructure offline.

There is nothing wrong with my hardware or software, it is all fully working, compatible with each other and windows 8.1 64bit.

PS2 is the only software I have had issues with, and looking at this tech support forum I am no way an isolated case.......
  8. Rougen

Thanks for the reply, do most of the issue seem to point to Nvidia users then?

I was under the impression this game was originally coded with Nvidia in mind, but then, when the phys-x was broken and they removed that perhaps I should have known better.

I am running SLI which I've no reason to believe in this day and age shouldn't be supported, although I am running a surround set-up, but then, I have also tried with just a single screen and it's the same problem, so not isolated to the surround set-up itself.

The root cause if definitely something with the client though, as none of my logging tools report any issues with any of the OS related processes or drivers at all.

It's just finding out what it doesn't like or isn't coded to like, but that should be Sony's job not ours.
  9. Kyn

It's not a PS2 isolated issue, look across the gaming forums for any major newer game and you will run into posts just like yours. Nvidia has been having issues with there drivers effecting certain video card/mother board combos for some time now. The only solution most of us find is by trying older driver's until you find one that fits your vid/mb combo. Make sure to do complete reinstall of your drivers too. At one point I actually had to remove my Nvidia suite through safemode... They called it a sticky driver. Messy.
    • Up x 1
  10. SuperMedicated

disable physx on graphics settings, it'll fix all your crashes... it helped on my brother's notebook which has a nvidia GPU

(It is called "GPU Particle Quality" or something, just set it to off)
    • Up x 1
  11. Rougen

I came across sounding like a bit of a **** in this post, sorry about that, I'm just totally pissed off, I have enough issues with rubbish software at work that people have done, when I come home I just want things to work! :)
  12. Rougen

And thanks for the replies Kym and Super, oddly I've not had any other issue though.

BlackFlag, Arma III, Arkham Origins, Tomb raider, Crysis 3, and lots more all perfect.

It's just typical the game I want to play keeps screwing me over.
  13. teks

I gotta agree that this is likely a hardware issue, not the game. If your hard shutting it down constantly with the power button, something is up. Those other games are graphics dependent and don't really stress your PC the same way PS2 does.

Let me say, that I had the exact same issue. Both my old and new computer would crash constantly and both could run other games fine. Both cases were hardware issues that didn't come out when playing other games. It turns out that in one case my timings were a little too tight, and in the other my processor's OC wasn't as stable as I thought.

The thing is, you provided us with no information to help you.
    If you want help please post us some information that we can go on.
    Your processor, graphics card (and driver version), ram, any MOBO settings, crash reports, details on the exact nature of the crashes (like does the screen freeze, does it go blank? blue screen? garble?)

Since this problem is not happening to everyone, the problem is with your computer, or in the fact that the game wasn't ready for something in your configuration. It doesn't matter who you want to blame. If you want it fixed you gotta stop pointing fingers and provide constructive material we can work with. If you can drop more information down I'm sure a solution can be found. Take a deep breathe. Relax. Wires don't talk. :D
  14. Rougen

Thanks for the reply teks, I'll try to give as much info about it all bellow.

System wise here is the build:

MSI G45 Z87 mobo
    16gb 2133mhz Gskill Ripjaws
    I7 4770k with a modest OC @ 4.3ghz on water (max temps on torture tests are 59c after an all night run)
    2x GTX 780 AMPS's (revised Bios) running in SLI but with Nvidia surround resolution 5910x1080 again stable during torture tests
    NT Black Series 1200w modular PSU (GPU's each have a dedicate rail)

I've got a separate gaming volume from the OS's SSD to not interfere with the OS.

I'm running two screens from GPU1, and the third from GPU2.

Apart from the old FOV issue and having to use Widescreen fixer or Flawless widescreen for the odd title everything has been good.

GPU temps are 33 and 38 @ idle and 64 / 74 under full load.

Nvidia driver is 334.89

OS is Windows 8.1 64bit pro

There have been no errors on the system at all when the crash occurs, and the driver doesn't show that it has shutdown or stopped responding.

PS2 shows GPU is the limiting factor running 5910x1080 with everything maxed, but that is because I have set a limit of 60 FPS on precision X, in game it stays around 58-59, and my cards throttle back.

The only errors I can see in the system are not when the game crashes, one is on booting up the system:

Faulting application name: nvxdsync.exe, version: 8.17.13.3221, time stamp: 0x52b32dce
    Faulting module name: nvxdsync.exe, version: 8.17.13.3221, time stamp: 0x52b32dce
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000001d067
    Faulting process id: 0x17c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf2c2b348f8dbc
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvxdsync.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvxdsync.exe
    Report Id: 764a5aee-981e-11e3-82ac-000a3a54789a
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

The other I just saw randomly at no particular time:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
    CMDre 00000000 00000454 01200000 00000004 00000010

Vram doesn't max out, it stays at 2.5ish gb even running ultra on 5910x1080, ps2.exe consumes about 2.5gb of system ram whenever I check, but can't check when it locks up.

CTD's I can sort of handle, apart from being annoying it won't damage my PC, but I also get these on my spare LAN gaming PC that guests use, that is an old dual core E8500 with 4gb DDR3 and an ATI 7750 running the latest driver. That runs on High texture settings with shadows and terrain on medium with a reduced draw distance.

The most annoying is a lock up / freeze, while all audio remains in tact and I can still transmit audio / talk to other players, Teamspeak also still runs outside the voip software in game and can still be used, but I can't alt tab or CTRL+alt+delete and end PS2.

The other one I had before removing:

PlanetSide2.exe
    ActivityUserData.ini
    LaunchPad-user.ini
    LoadingScreen.xml
    InputProfiles.xml
    SoundSettings.xml
    UserOptions.ini
    vivoxoal.dll
    vivoxsdk.dll

And doing a rescan and fix was the crazy black screen flicker issue, screen would go black, then go back to the game, then black and back to the game. No messages to say the driver had stopped responding or had issues.
  15. nitram1000

This game is going to die because the devs don't care about making it stable and it will deserve it's death. It will go down in history as a game that almost made it but was just too ambitious for the devs creating it.
  16. Nasher

Bumping because I still have the same issue of nvlddmkm crashes in this game. It's only been happening since a recent patch but something with the game is still causing driver crashes.
  17. Gheeta

Yep crashing all the damn time...