Possibility of getting constant 60fps

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NCstandsforNukaCola, Feb 19, 2014.

1. NCstandsforNukaCola

Luckily I've got some cash to buy a new destktop
    So if possible. I want to play with 60fps at minimum

Here's my plan
    Intel I5 4670k haswell 3.4Ghz
    8GB of Ram PC3-12800 1600Mhz
    Zotac Geforce GTX660 TI D5 2GB Dual Silencer

There are other things to comprise the PC
    But I don't think it is necessary to describe here

Also I'm going to adjust options to ensure
    1600 * 900 or 1280 * 760 Resoultion
    Graphic - High(To draw maximum view of IRNV and Thermal vision)
    Texture - Ultra or medium(iIf ultra, to minimize load of cpu)
    Shadow - Low(To prevent too much brightness in IRNV)
    Redering 90%
    Render distance 1500m(I'm sick of 'fog' generated by 500m distance)
    Other things go to LOW or OFF(such as flora and lighting etc, didn't consider Smoothing yet, but test will be done)

Can it be enough?
  2. Clay

Could work. The GTX660 Ti is a bit weak, but I think it is possible. Expect around 50 fps in large battles.
  3. Fatal1o1

I sent you a private message about this.
  4. baka

Well, here is my experience on this, take it as you want.

Put a good air cooled heatsink on your CPU (the default intel cooler is passable, but not for overclocking). You are shooting for a K processor, so you might as well be able to overclock. Make sure you have a decent mainboard or course, but with only an increase to your CPU ratio, you should be able to hold steady at 4.2 which is a nice 25% power boost to everything you do. If you feel daring, you could always go liquid cooling and play with more settings to try for higher speeds.
    I play at 1920x1080; AO, flora and fog shadows off, textures on Ultra, particles on Medium with everything else on High. My render distance is set to 4000 and RenderQuality is 1. With Smoothing set to ON, I am almost constantly playing at 55fps no matter what the size of the battle.
    My specs are in my signature, but I have been running overclocked at 4.2 since the day I built my machine over a year ago and I am almost always CPU bound by the ingame indicator. I have no problems with my game performance, so I have not felt the need to overclock more to try for a slight increase, nor have I felt like overclocking my 660ti. The 660ti is the hottest thing in my system, running between 65 and 73C, only going higher when I increase RenderQuality to 1.41 or 1.73 - and the increase in quality (to me) is nowhere near the value of the framerates lost and the heat increases.
  5. TheAppl3

...no it's not.

The 660Ti is far more than capable of running at 60fps or better on max settings at 1080p. His limiting factor will be his processor because PS2 is silly like that.

OP:
    Overclock it or you're not going to see 60+. Reducing a bunch of GPU options won't accomplish much since it can already hold 60+.
    • Up x 2
  6. NCstandsforNukaCola

Thanks for your advices, guys
    Now I think other components should be told too.

Mainboard - ASUS B85M-G IBORA
    Power - Powerex REX 600W Triple V2.3

and I didn't consider the cooler yet.
    Is it necessary?
    Oh I'm new to build up a PC :)
  7. NCstandsforNukaCola

Sent a reply
  8. Dragam

NCstandsforNukaCola : That mainboard is basically crap... you never want to go cheap on the mainboard. Get a proper Z87 chipset motherboard, like a MSI g43... that aint too expensive.

Youd also be wise to consider a better quality PSU.

Also, when you are buying ram, you might aswell choose some that are a bit faster, as they essentially cost the same.

And you want to get a proper cooler, so you can OC that cpu... if you are going air, then get the noctua d14.

Regarding your ingame settings... resolution and render quality are the LAST Things you want to reduce... you always want to maximize those 2 settings above all others. But hell, if you want to look at a blurry mess, then thats your call.
  9. NCstandsforNukaCola

I didn't even know the mainboard was crap.
    Should switch to other else.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to OC the cpu or not
    Just buying one which has more choices
  10. Lancener

I have an i5-3570k and a 660 Ti, I have the settings up slightly higher than you do and I usually get ~100 FPS. I've had it drop into the 50's in fights with about 300+ people, still manageable and the CPU and GPU should handle the game fine.
  11. Scure

Its useless to buy better motherboard and a better cooler, because with that money he can buy a lot faster CPU/GPU.
    Plus theres no difference at all, even between 1333Mhz CL9 RAM and 2000Mhz CL8 RAM (in gaming).
  12. Dragam

Scure : no... just no.

1. there is no faster processor in single core performance than the 4670k and 4770k - they are both equally fast when at the same amount of Hz, so no, there wouldnt be a faster processor for this game, as this game is more or less purely bound by single core performance on core 1.

2. a better motherboard would allow him to overclock the cpu alot more, than a cheap motherboard would do (in many cases, the cheap motherboards doesnt even allow you to overclock).

3. when you overclock, the newer generation CPU's get hot... and fast. So you need good cooling to cope with it, and the noctua d14 is amongst the best air coolers, and actually its better than all single slot radiator watercoolers.

4. when only having duel channel memory, you will experience bottlenecks in the bandwidth quite fast, if you dont have fast ram. Just ask any battlefield 4 player.
  13. Scure

Dragam:
    But you can find other games too, not just Planetside 2. And why so important to OC the processor if the performance is enough? With the price of noctua d14+more expensive motherboard+more expensive RAM he could buy a GTX680 instead of 660Ti.
    He want to buy 8GB RAM and i think that will be a KIT, so it will be Dual-channel anyway. I'm talking about the clock and timing. (Ok, now i read your message again, but the point is still below)
    Theres still no performance difference between single and dual channel memory (only with integrated GPU's, APU's).

High speed RAM test:

Single vs dual channel:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1fcs77/
  14. Plunutsud pls

There is no such thing as constant 60+ fps in this game.

You will still drop below in big fights, due to the current optimisation of the game itself.

Any high end rig owner will confirm this.
    • Up x 1
  15. Dragam

NCstandsforNukaCola : The motherboard has the b85 chipset which is... less than good.

If you want to get constant 60 fps, then youll have to OC the cpu ALOT... if you Arent going to overclock it, then youll get 30-40ish fps in very large battles.

Regarding your ingame settings... this is why you want to lower resolution and render quality as the last Things.

Full ultra settings, including 1440p resolution and 100% render quality.

[IMG]

Lowest settings, except 1440p resolution, and 100% render quality.

[IMG]

Full ultra settings, but 720p resolution, and 50% render quality.

[IMG]

As the above screenshots should prove, resolution and render quality makes BY FAR the biggest difference of any graphical settings.
    • Up x 1
  16. Dragam

Scure : you are kidding, right?

He says he wants constant 60 fps... he will NOT get anywhere near constant 60 fps, if he doesnt overclock the cpu as much as he possibly can. Whats so hard to understand about that?

Getting a 680 over a 660 ti will NOT make a difference in performance for this game at 1080p... getting a better motherboard will, as it will enable him to overclock his cpu further, as will better cooling. Higher speed ram will increase his bandwidth, which in games like this does matter.
    And yes, obviously it will be duel channel... but im talking duel channel vs quad channel... duel channel systems only has half the bandwidth of quad channel systems, which is why you need fast ram more so on duel channel systems.

Ram speed DOES make a difference in new multiplayer games, where you have a ton of **** going on.

http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/bf4-loves-high-speed-memory
  17. Scure

I know about Battlefield 4, but that games also uses a lot of memory, while Planetside 2 not even supports 64bit. Dual channel vs Quad channel is even more useless thing and a motherboard with 2000mhz+ and Quad-channel support is very expensive. Its just not worth it.
    Someone should make an OC test, but i dont think it makes so big differences nowadays. Anyway, its not worth it to pay a lot of money for useless things whats only good for Planetside 2.
  18. TheAppl3

Board isn't great, see Dragam.

PSU sucks. Corsair CX-grade at minimum, preferably a Seasonic.

Sucre you're unfortunately clueless. A 660Ti maxes out PS2. It plays most other games at max just fine, too.

No stock processor will get even close to constant 60fps in PS2. I get ~50-55 in zerg-smash fights with a 32% overclock on the predecessor to his chip plus HT. With 4670k/4770k @ 4.5 he could probably do it. I don't see it happening at 3.4.
  19. Dragam

Scure : he asked if he could get constant 60 fps in PLANETSIDE 2... i answered that question. What you think of making that build is entirely irrelevant, as that is what he will need to do, in order to get what he asked for.

Its funny that you say planetside 2 doesnt even support 64 bit... you do realize that SOE confirmed a few days ago, that they are going to make planetside 2 64 bit only, right? That will take ram consumption through the roof.
  20. shuffl2me

yeah currently in huge zerg fights like prime time biolab alert or old crown style fight i get about 50-55fps

i agree witth Dragam on the mobo too, i would really suggest the Gigabyte Z87-D3HP not overly expensive (got mine for £107 from OCUK) it has some nice features and a really friendly dual bios. it only support crossfire though and not sli but if like me your not considering running 2 gpus over just getting one uber one this is not an issue.

as for air cooler im not a fan (dadum tsh) but seriously i would really suggest either a H80i (my friend has one and max temp seen is about 50c) or H100 (i have one and max temp seen is 42c) either would give you huge room for overclocking without sounding like a jet taking off.

as for faster ram i would say that the vid show above is utter crap. my friend and i have identical mobo and cpu, i have 1866 ram he has 1600 both cas9 patriot viper (his is standard cas9 mine is from xmp profile standard would be cas10), using my gpu in both machines i get about 3fps more in ps2 than he does and about 11fps more in civ5. i dont really understand ram timing/MHz but i would same it does make a difference from that test.