Headhot Representation PIC, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by xTEExGOWx, Feb 18, 2014.

1. VogonPoetMaster

And if you made the head hitbox smaller, it would penalize battle rifles, BARs and all other slow weapons that require careful aiming for the head instead of spraying. The bottom line is, the game has been balanced with these hitboxes, and if they are as large as they are, it was likely done so to alleviate the effects of latency when shooting moving targets.
    • Up x 1
  2. xTEExGOWx

sorry, as it stands now it rewards the automatics, much more. if you think i don't know what i'm talking about with
    Battle Riffles - http://tinyurl.com/pr8lfln
  3. AFK1

OH NO

Planetside works like every other FPS created ever. Whatever shall we do?
    • Up x 3
  4. Benton!

It's bad, but changing it now would require a balance pass on all the guns.

• Bolt actions would have to one-hit-kill to the chest as well as the head.
    • Battle rifles would have to 3 shot chest kill, to offset the lower hs percentage.
    • It might not even work with the latency in large battles.
    It might not sound great now, but it might be worse if we change it.
    • Up x 3
  5. LIKE A BOSS!

I would love that bolt action change. Would love to see the crying on the forums. It would be like ZOE all over again.
    • Up x 1
  6. LT_Latency

It always seems to be a little lower then the actual head.

I always miss high when I think I just hit the top of the head and hit low when I think I just missed the bottom.

personally I don't mind, It takes many head shots to kill somone and most guys are not very accurate
  7. Phazaar

Looks just about perfect to me. Works exactly like every other FPS in history...

As for the ridiculousness of '200 damage = 400 damage' equations, there is NO difference between that and '100 damage = 200 damage'... It's a multiplier. It's neither an exponent nor is it additive. All guns get the same headshot hitbox to go for, and gain the same % increase in damage per hit landed on it.

Every two theorycrafted situations you can find that show a 200 damage weapon gaining a TTK advantage over a 167 (or any other damage tier) damage weapon have an infinite number of equally well-theorycrafted situations between the two where the inverse is the case. And more importantly, every one of them relies entirely upon 'alpha strike' damage as the unfair element; something that is an absolute nonsense in actual scenarios in game, where latency, reaction times, FoV, teammates, cover, DPS and, most importantly, accuracy are all FAR larger variables.

The only thing relevant is actual performance data, which currently shows performance of each faction to be far closer than they ever have been previously in game.
  8. KnightCole

Yeah, I think NWA should still protect our heads. The only weapon it shouldnt apply to is SASR, Scout Rifles, BASR and the like.

Plus yeah, I think the damage bonus for headshots should be like 25% more dmg, not double.
  9. Luighseach

I think the damage multiplier is fine but the head shot box is HUGE. The last time I tested it though it was not this large but that was a while ago. Honestly I would want the headshot box to be smaller than the actual head and a bit under the helmet to the neck. If it was this small then aiming for the head would be a huge risk/reward instead of the current system which almost makes headshots necessary especially when you don't get the drop on someone.

Honestly though I'm not surprised at the size of the hitbox. Overall I don't mind it. Like everyone else has said, its pretty much standard hitbox for FPS games.
  10. xTEExGOWx

I think your missing the point, it's not about ttk or any of that. It's about rewarding people with head-shots when they should not be. Headshots should be something you try and get, not get randomly and regularly when not trying. The 400 damage Headshots matter to, because if you are running away shields down and they get that 1 bullet on you. That's that random headshot they weren't aiming at its most likely to kill, the other guys won't. This happens far far to often to everyone I know.
  11. vsae

Strange. I always go for headshots and I would've noticed that head box is THAT large. I think OP lagged out or moved between shots.

Something is not right in that picture.
  12. MurderBunneh

I think it's a fair sized hitbox when you add in latency.
    • Up x 1
  13. Hiding in VR

I would quite like to see that image with the body box as well, to get a proper comparison.
    • Up x 1
  14. phreec

The hitreg is client side. What you shoot on your screen is what is sent to the server so no, latency doesn't affect it like that.
  15. Taemien

Question about the screenshot. I'm assuming the red points are where you fired at?

If so this isn't surprising, simply because fired rounds have their own hit box, so even near misses will still strike something.
    • Up x 1
  16. Phazaar

I disagree about the 'shouldn't be' thing. This is no different than the headshot hit recog in any other game, and I'm really unsure as to why you would think all of those games do it wrong, and PS2 should do it differently. It's fun, it's rewarding, it balances the fun new 'bullets from centre camera' ********, and most importantly, our current weapon balance is largely dependent upon it. I see no reason to start from the drawing board on balance again when finally after a year we have weapons performing on a par more than ever before.

Once again, you NEED to understand averages before you start talking about that 'random headshot' that killed you when you were on low health. The difference between that 400 damage headshot and the 334 damage headshot from the next damage tier is only as relevant as the fact that that 167 damage weapon is spitting out more bullets per second (to the point of having guaranteed higher DPS, with or without headshots) increasing the likelihood of that random headshot occurring. The potential to die to a headshot with 66 (6.6%) extra remaining health is completely mitigated by the decreased likelihood of that headshot occurring compared to a weapon firing more than the difference in damage per bullet vs bullets per second faster. Bad explanation as in a meeting (zzzzz), but I hope you follow. Essentially, when running away with 334 or less health remaining, you will more frequently die to a headshot from a 167 damage tier weapon than you die to a 200 damage weapon. This is the price to 200 damage tier weapon pays to have a smaller chance to kill you when you have 400 health remaining. Again, that difference only occurs within a 6% health 'window'.
  17. allattar

The devs did say that currently the box is too big and they where lookig at it. They have made changes in the past and there will be more.
    • Up x 1
  18. xTEExGOWx

I Have a 41% head-shot ratio on VS, that hitbox is there. no i didn't move at all, yes i used that same model by not killing him the entire time. here is a live video on another player to prove it even further. .

-I'm not quite sure i understand. phoenix's have a hitbox, bullets do not.

other games like counter strike have head-box's accurate to the characters head's. and i didn't say head shots shouldn't be a thing...

Your right, i actually just found it on google,thank you. https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/421445000577040384 I'm unsure if they gave up and worked on something else, because they were changed for a day, then reverted the changes. i don't want them to forget about it, especially after nano weave changes.
    • Up x 1
  19. Elrohur

Problem with headshot comes from all the changes they made on PU02, the multiplier and nanoweave / shield changes.
    To me this is not working properly or as intended. I just feel as if something isn't going right.
    Or maybe am I just frustrated from dying too fast, especially when you start a fight by landing 2HS and being killed anyway because you took 3 in a second.
  20. Vaphell

oversized head hitbox is a bit unfair to people who don't know about the extent of it. Somebody might think that in an iffy scenario he should go for safer bodyshots instead of landing bullets on a tiny head only to get killed by someone who didn't bother to make any judgements and landed bullets on the oversized head.

When i farmed auraxiums on BASRs i opted for tidy precise headshots but, given the hitbox, i see i could spam potshots an get away with them most of the time.
    • Up x 1