Another change to weaken smart play.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vanus Aran, Feb 18, 2014.

1. HadesR

Yet they leave AV turret's unchecked for months .. Free cheap kills = bad .. SC cheap kills = good..

Makes you wonder if they just put things in a hat and randomly draw one to see what to Change
    • Up x 4
  2. Astriania

AV MANA should blatantly be nerfed as well, however at least they aren't a OHK and you can get out of the exploit range (either get behind cover or close in so you can see it render).
  3. HadesR

True .. But it's brought more complaints than I have ever seen about the odd AT mine of spawn pads .. I have no issues with AT mines being changed but would be nice if they got their priorities right.
    • Up x 2
  4. Benton!

• Smart tactics usually just means flanking
    • Groups of lockon launchers is "smart tactics", bonus points if you flank.
    • Outfits that "stragically attack bases" usually just means a 2:1 attacker:defender ratio, even better if they flank.
    • Drop podding bases was so smart.
    • Pretty much any large outfit just zergs the hell out of the majority of bases with max suits and tanks and then you guessed it, "smart tactics because we thought to camp spawn rooms with tanks and we have engies to repair so therefore we are organised and smart".
    • People suggest if you don't want to be spawn camped you should redeploy somewhere else and attack from another angle because, you guessed it, "flanking is smart guis". It's good game design to be completely zerged and then when the pops are finally even the spawn has 200 million tanks, 600 esfs, 80 maxes and a couple libs above it. It's common sense to go somewhere else and attack from another angle, but the game should give the defenders a chance.
    I've yet to see many truly smart tactics by anyone, usually it's just "attack this base while we go here, send this squad here etc." which is not that bad, but it's sure no chess game.
    But throwing tank mines behind shields? That's not smart, that's abusing the game mechanics. It takes no genius to think "hey lets drop mines where a vehicle will spawn for free kills."
    • Up x 3
  5. Spectre 694

You consider yourself smart ? Any smart player would take advantage of the vehicle spawn mine detonation mechanics and just go suicide miner or drop mines on vehicle pads from above for even more cheesy easy kills on anything.
  6. Wobberjockey

i'm sure this is just related to vspawn pads, as i saw a whole amp station and tech plant bay full of them the other night... i.e. exactly where you'd want them to discourage said gatecrasher sundy
  7. DeadlyPeanutt

off topic sort of... never died from a prox mine. they tickle a little sometimes (course i play engie main with full flack)

never saw a tank die from tank mines... so i haven't bothered buying them. do you get tank kills with the things?
  8. Kunavi

Never used a single AV Mine, if that's what this is about. But from the way I used them in other FPS I know I'd place them where GD Sundies and Harassers would most likely attempt come in from. Tech Plant spots are obvious, for example.

I'd also place them in front of VPads, not all players are aware of their environment. Most aren't, in fact. I'm not sure if the OP's saying this is not possible but it was when last I played, I know because being in a rush I fell victim to this tactic. And that's not 24Hrs ago I think, or at least so it seems to me. Plus you can destroy Sundies with them just fine.
  9. Winfield

look i place mines me skillz
    • Up x 1
  10. Vanus Aran

THIS IS ALSO SH/T !!!
    What is this crap supposed to be?!

IF PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID TO CHECK BEFOREHAND THEY DESERVE HAVING THEIR VEHICLES BLOWING UP RIGHT THE MOMENT THEY SPAWN THEM.
    ARHUGDHBNDBSAKJG SONY STOP HELPING ALL THIS NOOBS.
  11. Trukk

LOL
  12. huller

Becaus tank mines now should be used as actual tank mines rather than cheese spawnkill pizza's SOE is suddenly catering to noobs because you can't have your free kills anymore?

AND I also LIKE to USE random capital LETTERS to make me SEEM more importanT and SMART
    • Up x 1
  13. LordCreepy

Didn't read, but removing explosives from jumppad-landings, teleporter exits and spwan rooms was a good change.
    It had zero effect on the gameflow - all it did was provide cheesy kills.
    • Up x 1
  14. IamDH

I died on the crown landing pad where you land after you hit the landing pad
  15. Slandebande

I think many people are misunderstanding. The OP complains about not being able to set up tank mines right behind shields (not spawn shields mind you, the vehicle shields and the shields near the [A] in Techs/Amps. Now, this is of course wrong, as the fix only changed it to not allow you to place mines within a certain radius of the vehicle spawn pads and the likes, it has nothing to do with the shields, or with the anti-infantry mines some people keep going back to. He most likely tried to tank mine the shield right infront of the vehicle spawn pad, which most likely won't work at all. A thing to note, that would mean the safest place to enter the Amp stations with a GSD would be to charge up over the vehicle spawn platform, as there cannot be mines there? Interesting.

Does anyone know if you can still place tank mines on the platforms of towers and the likes? Gibbing aircraft landing to resupply always was a fun thing to do :p
    • Up x 1
  16. Tobax

Tank mines are perfectly fine now that their size has been reverted back to how it originally was, been placing lots on roads recently and laughing at all the vehicle kills, you don't need to resort to cheap tactics like placing them in the vehicle auto drive area from vehicle spawns so that they can't be avoided just to get kills with them.
  17. DocteurVK

Yes, they are and by a large margin (put a mine 1m away, see it explode with no reason).

Next thing to nerf ? Deny putting mines closer than 2 meters far of the exit of teleporters...

Even if dying from mines behind shields is awfull, this was one of the last options we have.

Look at the facts :
    • We can deploy a maximum of 3 mines together .
    • We can't deny an area by putting a huge minefield in said area - we have to trap chokepoints
    • The mines can be disarmed by engineers
    • The mines can not be moved in another spot even if they're not anchored in the ground
    If we restrict even more the said "Chokepoints", mines are being useless and will be only used as "cheap C4" until SOE nerfs this ability...
    It would be better to get much more little mines, each of them being weaker, but making a zone really a non-Vehicle zone.
  18. kirinohana

So let me put an example here. Take the classic amp station, sometimes people will sundy crash it with shield diffuser, especially now since ams is not in the slot. So for instance I may have placed some mines just behind the shield where the sundy would drive in. And the sundy came in full blast (loaded with maxs none the less), drives right in, and score, you just held off a zerg, you get certs, and much laughing.

Tank mines are right now better then any time I have been playing (which is not long I admit), and I have been using them like crazy again. Thank you SOE for fixing them finally. They can be very useful, very tactical and a great different option/mechanic then C4.

If you are unhappy about not being able to put them on spawn pads anymore, just place them down the path, still free kills, and it still works.
    • Up x 1
  19. Kite Carling

What a curiously idiotic rant. Mining vehicle pads isn't smart, it's cheesy.

Why not keep an eye on the flow of battle, anticipate where the enemy vehicles will go next (from memory, or map and lattice lines), and then mine a road that's very likely to be traversed at speed? A downhill gully, for example, will show a good return on investment. If you have an odd number of mines the pattern is one first then doubles just after, because the first customer is often a flash and it's a shame to waste two mines on a pushbike.
  20. Vaphell

It is both, just like finding your way up the tree and laying waste with BASR or UBGL of old. Anybody who lost his ride more than twice to a mined vehicle pad is a drooling idiot. There is simply no excuse as you are going to blow a lot of resources and it takes only a second to check if your skillmobile is going to be safe.