My favorite thing to do has been ruined...by a friggin flashlight

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Paperlamp, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Paperlamp

So now, there's no chance I can break out of a spawn room and get some kills with an SMG on hapless spawn campers. In the big 48+ battles, there's always a few guys with darklights ruining my fun.

No more cloaking out and flanking, you get shot like any other class, and might as well just sit inside the spawn shooting out like everyone else.

Sure, occasionally you might get lucky and manage to take a route clear of darklights. But that just means cloak is now even more a roll of the dice than before, and it's extremely unfun. There's a fine line between good RNG and bad, and this is bad. It makes a core class ability completely unreliable.

I don't know if this says anything about game balance, but it's really ruined something that used to be one of the only fun things to do when you're grossly underpop like TR tends to be on Connery.
    • Up x 2
  2. TheFamilyGhost

Spawn at the next base and come in behind them.
    • Up x 8
  3. LibertyRevolution

Yep, if they are camping your spawn, you already lost the base, redeploy somewhere else that you can be more useful.
    • Up x 8
  4. RJGatling

Emp grenades should knock out flashlights
    • Up x 4
  5. Tommyp2006

All these flashlight OP threads, I never thought I would see the day.
    • Up x 35
  6. Klondik3

Introducing darklight was a bad decision. Infiltrator class had average score per hour gain based on old game stats so there was no need for a direct counter to it.

If we had Stalker cloak which allowed you to use primary weapon THEN darklight would be justified.
    • Up x 2
  7. LibertyRevolution

You can carry a commi or xbow...
    Don't cry about not having a primary, the TTK on a commi point blank is faster than a carbine..
    • Up x 2
  8. Paperlamp

It's not that they're overpowered, it's just they make an existing ability unreliable by hard-countering it.
  9. Goden

If the enemy has your base surrounded to the point where they are camping your spawn building - what do you actually hope to achieve by getting out and flanking them? You could kill ten guys and you still wouldn't retake the base. Darklight or not you are not retaking the base.

One of the problems of the old IR-scope was that the cloakers couldn't see who had them on their guns so they couldn't plan their routes. Now we have the Darklight which has a MUCH shorter range than the IR and projects a visible light beam that is as bright as a bloody plasma cutter. The only way you will get snagged by Darklight users is if you are running around carelessly and not watching the areas you are approaching. A lot of Infiltrators are still playing like they did before - running around without a care in the world while cloaked.

Yes, the cloak now has a hard-counter to it - but you can easily see who is using it and you can avoid them while cloaked.
    • Up x 3
  10. Stromberg

did you make this up all by yourself?
    650 RMP 143 dmg carabines (the worst ones dps wise) need 4 HS to kill at point blank, that takes 0.37s. the commissioner needs 1HS and another shot. that takes 0.7s if you can time your second shot perfectly.
  11. LibertyRevolution

Commi is OHK to the head of an infiltator, so its TTK = 0.

Did you miss the stalker cloak commi video? You camp at a terminal and wait for enemy infil then OHK them.
  12. AltF4Fun

I knew someday that useless piece of trash of flashlight would get some use.And people are already complaing because there is now a hardcounter to cloak like there is to almost everything.As long as I still see this flood of SMG Infis I dont see one reason to change it.
    • Up x 7
  13. Stromberg

what if it's not an infiltrator? because the last time I checked, the vast majority of the players weren't infiltrators.
  14. Mastermind

The thing that grinds my gears is they made it a NEW type of flashlight. As far as i know the regular flashlight is still useless isn't it?
  15. Maelthra

No. The Darklight Flashlight replaced the standard Flashlight.
    • Up x 2
  16. AltF4Fun

lol,really? Cant say im surprised How about changing the colour and selling it for SC...
  17. Klondik3

You have to spend 5 minutes getting into position therefore TTK is not 0 but 5 minutes.

And then everyone hears your unsilenced commissioner and you have to start infiltrating all over again...
    • Up x 1
  18. Mastermind

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh pretty sure you can still buy a regular flashlight for some guns.
  19. LT_Latency

The pistols are no where near as good a primary weapon. There is a reason no you don't see people using as their main weapon
  20. Maelthra

The patch notes clearly state that all Flashlight attachments for weapons have been converted into Darklight Flashlights. If some weapons still have the option for a regular Flashlight then it is a bug that needs to be reported.
    • Up x 1