Why does NC believe their max lacks range when Slug shells are available

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by InvitroCanibal, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Masterofm

At 70-80 meters though the Mercies will be quite inaccurate though. I know the VS max can score more hits at that range if it burst fires, but you really feel that they are super accurate at that range?

I'm all for the fact that the NC shotguns are situational weapons, and it's not helped by the fact that slugs cost certs when maybe they should be the default.

However I feel like this whole discussion on range is kinda moot. I hate all guns that have a "cross your fingers" type of feel when using the weapon. And while the NC max has this going for it in spades, so do most of the TR infantry weapons. I hate the feeling of spray and pray. Shotguns on a max, or when using an infantry weapon. But when you start to get out beyond 50-60 meters you can unload 100 rounds of dual mercy and hit nothing but air.... or possibly the guy 7-8 meters to the left of the guy you were firing at it can be just as frustrating.
  2. Corporate Thug

People complain because it requires effort to use the NC max when not in a building. Charging or moving from cover to cover to get in range is so hard. No max is good outside of medium range since they can't ADS, and most of the good stuff happens with in CQC where the NC max is king. We need to stop complaining because one thing can't do it all, we get less complaints from the TR who seem to have the worst max of the three.
    • Up x 3
  3. AFK1

I don't even understand how people can argue about this. NC Max is obviously worthless at range. All it's good for is killing other maxes in close range. That's the only advantage, VS and TR maxes can still rock infantry just as easily at ANY range, but they can't take out NC maxes as fast

Now I would gladly trade that tiny plus, for a weapon that can kill something past 5 yards. There's no point in even spawning an NC max unless you know for certain that you're going to be inside of small rooms for an extended period of time, or if you need to clear enemy maxes. NC max is great for farming inside of a building, but the thing is pretty much useless otherwise, while TR max is... decent in most cases, and VS max is like taking your level 60 Rogue in full tier 2 to camp level 20s
  4. AFK1

Charging into close range gets you killed. Sure, you'll take at least one guy with you, probably more, but you are dead once you've committed to that action, and now you're nowhere near your own medics, while the people you killed will be revived before your death screen finishes
    • Up x 1
  5. Phazaar

Not super accurate. Still a fair few orders of magnitude difference in killing power, not to mention the ability to sustain fire at that distance. Playing VS against TR, I can basically ADAD and take an NC MAX in a clip of an LMG. If I do that against a TR MAX, he'll at least be making me flinch ;) But more likely, though his DPS will be low due to the low accuracy, it's still far higher as a % of target health than mine is on him. And that's before factoring in that he doesn't have to be using Mercies... He could be using Pounders, in which case I'd be ****ed, meanwhile, dodging Falcons is a bit of a snoozefest imho. Might have to use one medkit. Maybe.
  6. Akeita

Yea, I don't understand how a college guy isn't even as mature as a kindergarden children, he or she, whatever is starting to insulting me, talking about my puberty and such when all the proof prove that I'm right and pretty much everyone agree with me..
    • Up x 1
  7. InvitroCanibal

Fair enough, It's why I think Charge should be a default max ability for all the maxes. After reading the responses it makes sense what the issue. The aegis shield can't be used when charge out performs it. Same with ZOE and Lock down. The SOE frame of mind might be to nerf charge but that's just stupid when all those abillities would work so much better if charge were added in to maxes in general.

"Sometimes the shield is bugged, but with latency issues in the game you can whip out the shield to block a rocket and get killed because the hit detection on the other side didn't register it as being pulled out"

Seems like the aegis is most useful as a team support adjunct and would be most useful as a max crash support. I think the above response would fix this issue of responsiveness as then it could be deployed prior to taking on fire with charge being used for speeding into close range.

"It's also not cheap to build this loadout. While it's good against infantry it does diminish your killing power against other Maxes. It takes a lot of investment. Where VS and TR maxes don't need to invest nearly as much into an effective build that makes them powerful at short range I think is why it's upsetting to most folks."

I don't really see it being expensive being an issue if it is a cost to gain ratio. The thing i'm seeing is it's not worth it in cost versus gain and that seems like a big problem in a lot of skills in this game.
  8. evansra

I run my NC max quite regularly.
    I started with dual hacksaws and eventually got slugs.

In my experience the NC AI max is effective and currently on par with the other empires maxes in terms of killing power and can be effective up to long range with a bit of luck :p

I do however have 2 gripes that I feel could be removed or balanced across factions-

1, NC AI weapons have very small ammo pools, I think the unreliability of slugs adds to this problem. Small increase please :)

2, Although it makes no difference to me personaly I think its silly the NC max requires huge cert investment to be competitive when TR and VS work right out of the box. Please lower cert costs of ext mags and slugs for the sake of new players.

Peace
  9. Klypto

Or you could just get dual falcons.
  10. Masterofm

Aaaand that's kinda where you lost me mate. I find the effective use of most of the Maxes AI weapons are only effective at around 30-40 meters. The only difference in the NC max is they tend to suffer a bit more, or at least need to add slugs to each of their weapons which is costly. Personally the fact that it's costly is what I mainly don't like about it.

Falcons are not really meant for killing maxes over armor, but then again none of the AV weapons are supposed to. But I like that falcons can have a small amount of tracking to them which I find helpful at knocking out locked down TR max, or great at hitting laser VS maxes (they always tend to stand still while charging for some strange reason.) What is great about falcons though is the ability to be effective at almost any range. While I certainly won't be targeting infantry 150 meters out (as I'd rather nail all the armor instead) it's not a bad weapon by half. Pounders, while good (certainly better then the fracture now,) have a range that tapers off in effectiveness. If you don't fire them just right they are inaccurate as balls after a little over 30 meters. While landing 4 direct hits on an infantry will kill them it becomes less and less of a certainty as range is extended. It also takes about 1/2 of your clip to knock them out. I find that I actually enjoyed falcons and were as effective at super close range (and by super close I mean the engagement distance of a regular NC Max shotgun.)

But again trying to say "if I got hit with pounders using my slugs I'm screwed" is like saying "if he is using a comet while I'm rocking dual mercies I'm done." There is an element of rock paper scissors.

It's a big tradeoff to go with the shotgun slugs. Personally I'd take the falcons over them, but the falcon is a pretty good weapon for what it can do. Not saying that maybe they don't need a little bit of rework and they work fine as is. I mean personally I would take all this weapon inaccuracy and throw it out the window. I personally hate shooting and having to cross your fingers that your first round just might end up where you were aiming even if you accounted for bullet drop.
  11. Takoita

The difference is enough to get a decimator shot in your face. So yeah, I'd say it is not inconsiderable.
    • Up x 2
  12. Jeralamo

agreed.
    In my experience NC maxes have nearly the same effective range as TR/VS. A VS/TR max cant really kill anything at mid to long range they can only plink at it and maybe get lucky with a guy that already has low health and no shields. A NC max instant kills people at close range but has ammo issues while TR/VS maxs can keep shooting but cant instant kill.
    So I believe maxes are pretty balanced but maybe reduce the cert cost on slugs and mag size maybe :)
    • Up x 1
  13. Masterofm

Hum... it can be, but I find it's also not too bad when up on a hill using dual falcons. You can shoot down on the tanks, and when they notice what you are doing and start firing on you it's a great time to whip out the shield and get back behind cover, shift locations, and do it all over again. I find it really useful especially against locked down prowlers or Saron cannons (due to how painful they both can be.)

The Aegis is a useful front end defense that can either assist in tactical retreats or assaults. Not always one or the other. It's actually a decent all around skill, but it takes timing and intuition to use it effectively. I find many people don't use it all that effectively. The charge is great as a skill, but I think if used well the Aegis can be just as good. Lockdown? Not so much.

It can be. Fighting in the stronghold, a biolab, or a building and the investment is worth it. It's not my first choice, but then again I generally don't chose AI weapons as my first choice in the same way I rarely use bursters. However when I play a max I find myself running back to the spawn room occasionally and switching out my loadout to support what I need to do next.
  14. TheMercator

Link please
    • Up x 2
  15. Masterofm

16. Pikachu

I thinks slugs do rather good, unless you're facing a MAX. Then you have to be in their face and shoot 22 out of 24 shots in them. :L While they pepper you with bullets.
  17. WorldOfForms

After plopping slugs on my dual Mattocks, I one-shotted somebody at 30m and giggled a little. Slugs may be a roll of the dice, but the dice are in your favor if you engage in 30m or less. And 30m is a godsend after using pellets for so long.

I'm enjoying my slugs very much. That might change as I use them more.
  18. Blastuh

Here is a video made by SergeantMerrell showing off the capability of the NC MAX.

EDIT: He is in the MAX from about 5:00 - 15:00
  19. Xervous

but, but that's TOO EASY
    *and its not a shotgun

^^
    The above is meant to be sarcasm, I will be cheesing falcons until they're nerfed to not OHKO infantry.
  20. Frosty The Pyro

Max's cant ADS, nor can they equip laser guids. A shotgun slug without ADS or lasers in this game are a crapshoot. Also when combined with magazine size and overall damage reduction, slugs all but garrentee a loss in any max vs max fight, wereas (assuming you packat least one extended mags) regular shot can win a max vs max fight if you are close enouph.