IT's A TRAP!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by xArchAngelx, Feb 7, 2014.

1. xArchAngelx

I never said it was the best all around. I apologize if I did not clarify myself better. I meant as it was the better of the three Empire Specific rifles and out of the three, probably needs the least amount of tweakage.
    • Up x 1
  2. gnometheft

I think TR sniper needs a bit of a rework like you say.
    However I strongly believe the NC's needs a rework. A shotgun sniper on an infiltrator will not play friendly with balance either way.
  3. ISKNausicaa

Seriously guys can we stop with the false statements about the NC sniper mode:

it loses one bullet from the mag and 30m/s less projectile speed(tiny loss from tier3), for that it does tier 3 sniper rifle damage, can OHK to render range, it has tier 2 sniper rifle faster reload speeds, in short it takes the best elements from t2 rifles and t3 rifles, someone care to explain how taking the best from each tier somehow makes it a worse sniper rifle than the default?

The shotgun being worse than a pistol at certain ranges is a valid argument, but let's not forget it can OHK, which is an option you have in the situation that warrants it (alpha strike guy1 with the shottie, then switch to the pistol and finish off guy 2).

With the addition of the crossbow with explosive/detect bolts you have the option of taking this utility weapon and still have a viable close range alternative.

While I could be convinced the shotgun mode needs a rework, the sniper elements certainly do not.
  4. Kwyjibo

The NC sniper is pretty sweet. It's a bolt action and a shotgun. Not the best at either, but it doesn't need to be, it's more versatile. They ought to make it so it's always a shotgun when firing from the hip, instead of making people change modes when their back is against the wall.
    • Up x 1
  5. ISKNausicaa

Actually that is a brilliant idea
  6. ISKNausicaa

This information was based upon the original ptr upload, this has since changed, retesting

The short and long reload speed is slightly longer, now long is 5.1, up from 4.7 and short is 3.5, up from 3.1 the rest is the same
  7. AbuYahya

I was hoping the TRAP would have a lockdown mode with a bipod or something similar. Using it would fix the sniper to a spot but would increase stability and possibly reload speed. Seems that it would be OP as you would have to remain in position while "deployed" and wouldn't be able to cloak. But you would get rapid fire of a sniper rifle at an increased stability. Seems like it would fit with the factions traits and existing specializations of both Prowler and MAX.

Whether it was a rail attachment or you could cert into it somehow I don't really care but I think it would be more balanced and versatile than the existing version.

I think the NC and VS ones look awesome thought to be honest, probably with some tweaks, but having a sniper shotgun is very NC and the VS have a sniper that doesn't require traipsing back to base or an engi to restock on ammo plus is both a semi auto and bolt action so you ideally only need one rifle.
  8. DrBobcat

Here's an excerpt from a post I made on the main patch notes thread...

Please offer your feedback!
  9. Greddy

You guys keep telling that the shotgun option on the NC Rifle is crap, but you forgot the portion of what the infiltrator can do is: the ability to cloak and OHK on pointblank with a shotgun...
    There is a reason why SoE didnt give out regular shotguns to infiltrator class in the first place.
  10. Skeith

i can only assume that this was introduced just because they wanted to ship the update on the servers,this thing is too bad even for SOE standards,im pretty sure that is going to be reworked across the board
  11. gnometheft

Nothing I said is false.What you failed to mention is that it also has Twice as long of a chamber time, no straight pull bolt, and no sup. option which yes, is a big deal. Not to mention you didn't even argue about it's close quarters effectiveness, which insinuates you know how bad it is up close.

So why would you trade a straight pull bolt, less velocity, less ammo, and twice as long to fire for a close quarters mode you know is ineffective, less so than a pistol?

This is a TR ES rifle thread yet I see a lot of TR calling out the NC ES rifle, thinking it is far more effective than it is.
  12. ISKNausicaa

Thats because Longshot rechamber time is identical to the other long range basrs (1.6 seconds) including the new NC rifle if you are looking at the rechamber stat (0.8555) it is wrong, according to that stat the longshot would rechamber faster than the SASR close range basr (1.2) which is blatantly not the case.

The only thing that changes this is the straight pull due to it removing the scope out scope in times

In the case of the straight pull i seriously doubt that is going to make it through to live unchanged, do you think they intended it to be shaving a full second off the rechamber times of all basrs on top of keeping track of potential targets.

Bolt Attachment
    • This attachment will allow the bolt-action rifles to chamber the next round while still scoped

The main reason though is it steps too close to what semi autos do, it makes the close range basrs act like slower firing semi autos why would you ever take the semi over a basr with straight pull?

On the shotgun the same reason i mentioned before,you could take the crossbow with detect bolts or AV bolts basically being more versitle and still have a viable close range weapon, you could be running behind 2 guys, alpha strike one with a OHK shottie to the head then switch to a fully loaded pistol to gun down the second before he can even react, having the ability to take down a guy while moving with a ohk and still having a full pistol ready for anything else is nothing to be sniffed at.
  13. gnometheft

I'll give you the longshot rechamber stat seems a bit quick, perhaps that is not correc but that's what it says on the stats page, I'm saying it because its in the stats. Even so it sacrifices a straight pull bolt, less ammo, and a sup. option.

Also being more versatile is just wrong excluding having AV darts on the crossbow, you have a motion sensor or darts as it is. OHK head shotting is extremely difficult and cannot be done passed 8/10m, where as a pistol can kill quicker with headshots passed that range.

If you however don't have perfect mlg twitch headshot skills to land every pellet accurately enough on that teeny hitbox in the .8 seconds it takes to kill an enemy with a desperado w/o headshots at the same range, you have a mode that is less effective than even the default NC pistol at all ranges, especially point blank where a you can use a one shot comissioner/knife combo an isntant kill without worrying about a head shot.

Finally, considering you can also oneshot headshot/knife with the DEFAULT magshot, that mlg headshot twitch with a shotgun is only more effective in terms of ttk between the range outside a knife, and 8m, which is maybe 3 or 4 at best.
  14. Tenebrae Aeterna

All Infiltrators have this capability with a quick pistol and knife combination, that's why the New Conglomerate aren't so pleased with the shotgun...and rightfully so.
    • Up x 2
  15. LazerusQAI

I just tried them all, and when they stay with these designs...i would switch to VS.

the TR is just...i dont even know what i should do with it. Its not an Empire Specific Sniper Rifle, this thing could with for every single other class. Thats not "unique" it feels like an SMG or Assault Rifle to me...Why should i give up my Rams for that? put in the new Bolt feature and you have a better weapon than the TRAP will ever be.

NC is also somehow interesting, it gives you a Longrange Boltaction and a Closerange shotgun when you need to relocate or something like that.

the VS has everything you want as a longrange Sniper.
    Semi Auto that can kill in two headshots
    Charged shot that can onehit at about 300m
    No Bulletdrop
    Unlimited Ammo

i mean...what were they thinking when they came up with these ideas?
    The usual "Moar Assaultrifles for TR, moar Shotguns for NC, moar Uniquestuff for VS"
    the VS rifle is the only one that has a truely "Empire Specific" effect.
    • Up x 1
  16. ISKNausicaa

I understand what you are saying about the shotgun, but the fire fact that it can one hit kill when hipfired cannot be ignored also remember you can shottie+knife just as effectlively and still switch over to the fully loaded pistol, to take on potentially more enemies than an infil with the pistol alone.
    Another thing to speculate on, where does it state that these new rifles arent getting any attachments? You could very well see the Precision Pro getting the same attachments as the other bolt actions.
  17. Tenebrae Aeterna

I have to admit...

I am very pleased with what we have, it needs some tweaks...but it's the most interesting rifle. The NC and TR need a good bit of work before they're up to par.
    • Up x 1
  18. ISKNausicaa

The unlimted ammo really only comes into play if you survive long enough to make use of the function, the charged shot only OHKs to 285m and the charge heat still feels too punative, it could definely use some tweaks.

That being said i really love the rifle, it doesnt feel like its taking away from our currrent selection of rifles, rather its adding to it.

Of all the rifles i feel the TR one could do with the most work
    • Up x 1
  19. Greddy

It requires you to do two things... Shotgun in the face require one click...
  20. gnometheft

It comes down to a gameplay style of what you can do easier, headshot in pointblank everytime or bodyshot. A perfect player where every shot lands on the head of course it will be better. But then again a perfect player you could do that with a bolt action already.

In the heat of combat in clsoe quarters when you have a split second to react, you must spend that split second aiming perfectly or else you suffer drastic consequences in terms of TTK, where as a pistol is MUCH more forgiving, could still kill in that half a second in a perfect player setting (2 shot desperado burst to the head) AND up to 22meters.

The extra close quarters rounds are an advantage of course, but I would say a negligable one because it still takes 6.4 seconds to unload a full mag of from the NC ES rifle, and another 3-4 seconds to unload a pistol fully, and surviving close to 10 seconds in close quarters is difficult.

It totally doesnt say they wont be getting attachments! lol but could you imagine if the railgun graphic got a sup. on it?? Perhaps it will get a straight pull bolt/sup, but then again perhaps many things will change.