Prowler's Vulcan is underperforming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ketadine, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Slandebande

Yeah I'm pretty confident of my ability to do it in VR as well, but doing it while under fire, having to consider where you are driving, looking out for additional enemy tanks/aircraft and the likes, really makes it a lot harder in my opinion. It isn't impossible, but doing it reliably in a real fight, takes so much effort in getting the movements into your muscle memory, especially compared to firing on the move in a Magrider. Not to mention your secondary won't usually be lined up and perfectly still for you to use as a cross-hair, usually it will be moving around and firing rounds itself, further blocking the view. Another thing is that the Magrider is also more capable of using the forward/backward movements in addition to strafing to improve the effectiveness of the dodging, this is something that is often overlooked when looking at the "math" behind dodging, and is quite important. Yes, the other two can also turn to a degree, but it is harder to pull off, and you risk exposing your rear to directions you don't intend to.
    • Up x 2
  2. Botji

I dont disagree, it takes effort to get better.

Just find it hilarious that you bring up points why 3rd person view is hard that translate right back to the Magrider first person view.

Having to consider where you are driving, looking out for additional enemies etc
    risk exposing your rear to directios you dont intend to...

Why, if I didnt know you were talking about the Prowler I would post and back up your claim that the Magrider has a bit to many cons considering almost all of its pros are hardly functional and what is, can be emulated with other vehicles. Its like the Scythe could fly just as fast as the Mossie and had the Reaver AB power if you used 3rd person view. Im sure none of the TR/NC would have a problem with that.

I mean if people dont think its worth a bit of effort to gain a stable gun on tanks and be able to move even more than a Magrider while fighting then the stable gun and moving while fighting cant be all that great. If 3rd person view gave me a turret on the Magrider I would use it even with almost the entire screen blocked by the Magrider and im sure anyone that was invested in the Magrider would do the same, instead of complaining about the screen being blocked by the Magrider they would be happy that they could "steal" the turret ability from the other tanks.

But ofc, such a thing would be patched within a week. Cant have Magriders with turrets now can we?
    Tanks with stable guns on the move and no recoil? sure sure, who cares if we just stole the best from the Magrider.
  3. Slandebande

It isn't the same doing it in VR as it is doing it under fire. That is quite a difference, and has nothing to do with it taking effort. Even with effort, you most likely won't come up to Magrider standards, not even close. Also, if the Magrider hits something while strafing, you just stop, you aren't hindered by you having hit something at full-frontal speed, meaning you just have to gear-down, then up (reverse) before you can start moving again. The Magrider simply starts moving again much faster. And you still won't be as accurate as a Magrider is, as I wrote, it doesn't help when you are under pressure, and your secondary is shooting and blocking your view. That doesn't happen for the Magrider at all.

It's like the Scythe could fly just as fast as the Mosquito could, but it couldn't perform pinpoint accurate adjustments to the course or something. The other tanks aren't on par with the Magriders stabilization just because you use 3rd person, that isn't all the benefit it gives. It is also more forgiving if the terrain isn't flat, in that you aren't losing speed by strafing over minor bumps. Try being in cover with one of the other two tanks, and having to move out from cover requires you to pass small hills to get a view of your enemy. The same goes for the aforementioned hitting something while strafing compared to hitting something with one of the other two tanks while side-strafing.

The thing about the forward/backward momentum, is that you cannot be as unpredictable as a Magrider in evasive maneuvers, because even though you are also turning slightly with your tank while you dodge moving backwards/forwards it is pretty easy to predict where you are going to move. The Magrider can move in all directions without hinting at the movements with the hull. That is also quite a significant difference.

TLDR: I strongly disagree with your opinion that you can just use 3rd person and you "stole" the ability of the Magrider. It is much more difficult to pull off and less forgiving when you screw it up. I don't even remember why we are discussing the Magrider anymore.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ketadine

Bump, nothing has changed and I won't be using this weapon until the range is decent.
  5. kadney

I would like to trade the ML85 for the "so op" Vulcan. Any NC interested?
  6. EsDee

So far ITT all I've seen is a ********** of TR thumbs up; I'd specifically like to point out the
    Overwhelming DPS/TTK advantage built in to your current gen of P2-120 (Specifically that with 50% accuracy, an Anchored Max Reload P2-120 AP still has higher DPS and lower TTK than any other MBT/Lightning)
    Supernova FPC is outperformed by the L100 Python AP on any angle, reinforced or not, on a Prowler

G30 Vulcan at close range≤10m has roughly 140% of the DPS of the Saron HRB when firing at windup speed 50% of the time,
    Subsequently at 50% accuracy still has about 71% of its DPS
    Requires only 110 hits to destroy a Magrider's front armor, 80 hits for side armor, 60 hits for back armor at this range.
    G30 Vulcan at medium range≈75m has roughly 116% of the DPS of the Saron HRB when firing at windup speed 50% of the time,
    Subsequently at 50% accuracy still has about 58% of its DPS
    Requires only 126 hits to destroy a Magrider's front armor, 92 hits for side armor, 69 hits for back armor at this range.
    G30 Vulcan at long range≥130m has roughly 107% of the DPS of the Saron HRB when firing at windup speed 50% of the time,
    Subsequently at 50% accuracy still has about 53% of its DPS
    Requires only 147 hits to destroy a Magrider's front armor, 107 hits for side armor, 81 hits for back armor at this range.
    Given its rate of fire, reload speed, and substantially larger magazine, lower accuracy is more forgiving with the G30 Vulcan than any other AV option.

Even if you were to miss every shot with the G30 Vulcan, the only way a FPC+Saron HRB can win a trade with a Prowler is by engaging on an alpha strike to the Prowler's rear, under any other circumstances the P2-120 AP alone has a lower TTK than the combined FPC+Saron

The point: The biggest complaint about the Vulcan shouldn't have anything to do with any other faction; your biggest complaint should be that the P2-120 AP can do most of the work for you already.
  7. LordCreepy

I somehow fail to understand that logic.
    Is this asuming all Prowlers are a) running with maxed deploy and reload speed AP b) all Prowlers are always deployed when you encounter them and c) all Prowlers are deployed while sporting a vulcan?
  8. EsDee

Oh right, sorry; the P2-120 AP+0% Accuracy G30 Vulcan only has a lower TTK than the combined FPC+Saron while anchored, yes.
    A stock, unanchored P2-120 AP has 127% of a max reload FPC's DPS; 123% of a max reload Titan-150 AP/L100 Python AP.

But to clarify based on the name of the topic: the G30 Vulcan is only underperforming when compared to the P2-120 AP anchored or not.
  9. EliteEskimo

You use numbers all you want. It doesn't stop the Vulcan from being a garbage situational weapon which doesn't mesh with the Prowler, is inferior in almost every way to the halberd, and is more or less a TR AV version of the enforcer modified. My 350+ hours with a Prowler and having a certed Vulcan+ Halberd > your Paper DPS figures of trying to not make the Vulcan look terribad.

The point: The Prowler's high theoretical DPS when all shots lands on a still target doesn't excuse the fact we have a horrible AV secondary that is so bad there is almost no justification to ever pull it over the Halberd.
    • Up x 5
  10. EsDee

The problem isn't the Vulcan, its the players using it. It's pretty much that simple.
  11. EliteEskimo

Lol so your argument has divulged into the Vulcan isn't bad, TR just need to L2P.:rolleyes: Well I'm glad we could sort that much out.
    • Up x 5
  12. treeHamster

Well I have said this since day one. Back when the Prowlers were driving around 1/2 with HE/HEAT, farming infantry, and complaining that they were losing to AP/Saron 2/2 Magriders, at close range.

If the average players are running a 1/2 vehicle, it should ALWAYS lose to a 2/2 AP/AP vehicle unless the 2/2 vehicle has AFK people in it. The ONLY time it shouldn't is if the 1/2 is played by top tier skilled players (which most of them aren't).

Maybe I should complain to SOE that pressing the LMB doesn't automatically kill everyone on my screen, each time I press it. Or that I'm forced to use my keyboard to move around the map instead of PS2 just telepathically knowing what I wanna do.
  13. EliteEskimo

I could've sworn we were in a thread talking about the Vulcan. Yet I don't see anything about the Vulcan in your post. Yet again, having a good tank doesn't mean you give it really bad secondaries. I'll just keep using the Halberd which is pretty darn good, but it would be nice to have some more variety in our AV tank secondaries which at the same time aren't garbage for tank fighting....
    • Up x 1
  14. deggy

I'll say it again:

Weapons like the Vulcan will never be balanced on both MBT and Harasser.

As long as the MBT Vulcan and the Harasser Vulcan are similar, one will be out of line, either too good or not good enough.
    • Up x 1
  15. DevDevBooday

I would honestly be happy with a Prowler nerf to compensate for buffing the Vulcan
    Just give me my damned secondary back!
  16. KAHR-Alpha

Well, this is obviously the part that got to change.
  17. deggy

Exactly.

SOE can't just copypaste a weapon from a heavy tank onto a dune buggy and expect it to perform like it used to.

The Harasser and the MBT variants of the secondaries need to be DIFFERENT.
    • Up x 1
  18. treeHamster

I suggested one already. Increase the Prowler's HEAT/AP reload base to 4 seconds, and then decrease the bloom to 0.5 per shot. It would make it almost as effective as the Enforcer/Saron @ 300 but trade the more effective Vulcan for a less effective Prowler maingun. Overall the Prowler would still dish out the most damage, but would give more meaning to being gunner rather than just pulling your own Prowler.
  19. Czuuk

It was the most OP vehicle weapon in the game for months and months. Enjoy your just deserts.
  20. Ketadine

Right ... because if the Vulcan has shotgun range, then you should go with a tank in shotgun range to use it efficiently. It doesn't matter that is a tank, no ? Maybe I'll take my Prowler for tower stomping next time ...

And all your numbers show theoretical DPS. That more than often does not translate into the game. Not to mention that even if the primaries are good for the Prowler does not justify the Vulcan being bad. Same as for Saron making the Magrider primary bad.
    • Up x 3